Quantcast

Bikes for tall people

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
A friend of mine is looking to get into cycling. I used to ride with him in high school and middle school and I think he's getting tired of all my stories about epic XC rides and ripping DH runs. He's not entirely sure what kind of bike he wants, but I'm thinking a low-mid end fully.

Here's an issue: he's about 6'7" and 185 lbs. Mad tall, very skinny. I worked in a shop for a while and don't think I ever had to fit a guy this tall with limbs so long. Anyone know of large manufacturers that will fit him? Would an XL in some be okay? I know he needs to try the bikes out, but I'd like to narrow the search off the bat if I know that something will absolutely not work.

If it helps, my LBS (the one I worked at) sells Trek, Fisher, Cannondale, Scott and (though I doubt he has the scratch to get one) Turner, Intense and Santa Cruz. We can go other places, but I might be able to swing a better deal there.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I would think about an older Enduro. It has one of the longest top tubes for a production bike, 25.8 inches. Coupled with a tall fork, it could be the biggest bike available.

And on the closeout models you should be able to pick one up for as cheap as $1700.

Bad Ronald

Chimp
Jun 30, 2005
Danbury, CT
My friend who is 6' 6" and 235lbs rides an XL Prophet without issue. You can get extended steerer tubes for the lefty that will bring the bars up another 1.5" as well. The other option might be an XL 29'er.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
He should at least throw a leg over a 29er to see how it feels to his body height compared to a 26er.

Have him Try a Fisher Ferrous, and or a Caffeine 29er if you can.

LongviewTx

Chimp
Dec 30, 2006
Longview, Texas
At 6'4" & ~ 250 lbs your friend and I are not too similar but not as far apart as a "normally-sized" biker. I can not more adamently agree with the 29er recommendations in several posts made above. I think a 21.5" frame with Thompson Layback seat post and a 120 mm stem with a 70 mm riser bar (oversized 31.8 mm) will be a very good fit.

I love the 29er's application to larger-sized riders. And my recently purchased Felt Nine Pro is a wonderful bike. The ride quality is much better than the Gary Fisher Rig I was riding. The components spec'd (mainly Shimano Deore XT, XTR FD, and Avid 7 Hydraulic disc brakes)and the quality of construction of the frame make an ~ $1900 price tag, IMHO, a bargin. Opps, sorry but only a hardtail.

So, one opinion in thousands but, he should definently pursue a 29er bike evaluation, followed by a hard look at the Felt offering. (the only thing I did not like on the bike is a narrow 620 mm, low-rise, 27mm bar) I've since changed-out the Stem (17 degree angle and OS Bar w/ 50mm rise). Now, I don't have as much of my upper body weight borne by my arms but, I can still hunker-down appropriately when required.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

I looked into a few 29ers, but I think the lack of offerings might be an issue. I am going to try and steer him towards FS, which basically leaves only Fisher and other higher end frames. I know that a hardtail could work, but since this bike will probably be used in northern NJ and central/eastern PA, FS is usually a good idea for those of us that like to keep our fillings on our teeth.

The Prophet might be a good idea. They have tons of '07 models and I bet my shop can hook him up. Plus, I have one for myself, so I know it's a quality ride.

So, thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming if you have more. I just hope my buddy doesn't get all cheap on me...errr...himself.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
i know Splat talked about a XL Superlight. I had a Large and it was to small for me I felt and I am only 6ft1. So I would think an XL might be to small for your friend.
Noted. I was wondering the same thing. I worked for an SC dealer and had a friend that's considerably shorter (with way shorter limbs) than my tall buddy who had an XL. It was a touch big for him, but not by much.

jtdcg

Chimp
Aug 15, 2004
NH
I am 6"6", 185. I ride an XL Blur Classic. It has been good for me.

That said I am not a fit expert and have not received a lot of expert frame fitting opinions...lately I have been wondering what a pro would say...or something like the serrotta fit system. I am all torso...legs not that long for my height.

Also I recently realized that Turner makes XXL sizes which could hold promise next time I need a new bike: (for example)
http://www.turnerbikes.com/2007/flux.html

TheLoneRider

Chimp
Aug 24, 2007
Ellicott City, MD
I am 6'6" and 180lb and I ride a 20" diamondback axis hardtail from 2003. I have ridden larger bikes on the trail an didn't like it. The smaller frame with alot of seat post showing is just so much easier to handle on tight single track. I still get plenty of leg extension and and the top tube is just fine with a 120mm stem.

You might want to look at Gary Fisher with the G2 geometry. They have a much longer top tube. Working at the shop I tend to put alot of taller guys on fisher's or custom bikes based around the fisher geometry.

BBB

Chimp
Sep 21, 2007
I'm 6'6" and 225lbs and i ride a L Santa Cruz Heckler. Its pretty much spot on; I find that XL bikes are far too large to manouver especially when hitting some gnarly DH sections.

elf 232

fewchur serjin
Jan 5, 2007
Im in your head
I'm 6'6" and 225lbs and i ride a L Santa Cruz Heckler. Its pretty much spot on; I find that XL bikes are far too large to manouver especially when hitting some gnarly DH sections.
expensive though

u can put together a hot enduro for 1500, i did

martini

Chimp
Nov 30, 2004
'Sconni
FS bikes to built on the 'cheap'?

29er realm:
Astrix Monk
Fisher HiFi
KHS Flagstaff
Voodoo Canzo - but they're kinda small and may not fit
GT Marathon 9r - not sure on sizing

650b - new concept, but I think pretty valid. One tire now, but a pretty damned good one from reports I've read. it a 2.3 Rampage-ish tread. The wheels should fit many FS rigs out there. Prime suspects in my eyes are:
SC Heckler
Haro Xeon
Spez, but only with a Fox - not thier own shock.

probably more but - at this dudes height, really a 29 should be looked at first, THEN move down. The stability of the wheels will be SOOO welcome, especailly if its been a while since he's ridden. I'm sure his tech skills will be a bit 'off' for a while.

aktallguy

Monkey
Aug 31, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
I'm 6'7" with really long legs. I'm not far out of college so finding the $ to get a good fiting bike was tough the last few years. I've had good luck with XL C'dales, but end up with longer stems and pushing my seat way back on the rails. I'm looking at an XXL Turner Spot for next year. Doesn't really help much besides saying that with out much cash you just have to put up with some things. I'm curious to see how a larger bike fits when I get one. I have yet to find someone with an XXL to try out. I looked at 29ers, but wasn't very impressed with the fork/wheel offerings. Some decent frames available but as always cost more $.

martini

Chimp
Nov 30, 2004
'Sconni
aktallguy - is it a travel thing, or an internals thing on the fork? I know that if its travel you're after, white Bros(yeah, not good if your on a budget, I know) offers 135mm as stock, and you can get custom 150mm and through axle if you ask nice enough(read deep enough pockets). Manitou has thier hex axle and up to 120mm of travel. I thing Fox does 120 too. Some guys on emptybeer have converted Rebas to have a coil set up.

As for wheels. Well, I'm kind of a snob. I build my own, cause I don't trust anyone else to build them really. Wheel strength is only as good as the build. The Individual components really don't matter TOO much. Its how they're put together. That being said, Kris Holm Rims are the bomberest there is so far. 38mm wide 800+ grams. Ain't light, and ain't skinny. Should offer a super wide profile for the big meats that are coming. Salsa also has a 35mm rim coming out next year that should prove to be the shiznit.

Lenz has the big travel 29" market cornered right now, but you can also get a Ventana 5". I'm betting that as a worthy fork becomes available, you'll see more burly frames come out.

FWIW, I'm 6'5" and have been pounding the sh!t out my 29" for over 6 years with nary a wimper.