Quantcast

Bird Aeris 9 : anyone riding one?

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I’m thinking of getting a Bird Aeris 9 frameset (160mm travel) since it checks all my boxes:
•No trunnion, 230x65mm shock
•30% progression for use with a coil
•threaded BB
•internal and external cable routing
•available in raw aluminium
•reasonable price
•excellent customer service so far

Anyone has ridden one or another of their bikes? I’m picky about frame alignment and durability so those are my two main concerns. Plus since they’re a really small company, I’m hoping that they will pass through the bike industry’s actual struggles.

Other frames on my list : Canfield Lithium, Commencal Meta AM ‘22 or Clash, but I’d prefer not getting another Commencal even if on sale they’d be like 1000$ less than the Bird. (They have shit QC in my experience)

Thanks for ant feedback!

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I had an AM9 before, the ancestor of the aeris 9, it seems.
with 475mm of reach and 440mm CS, it was a bit too much for me at 5'9 (175cm). The bike was super fast on straight chunky lines and it was a pig in the tight and twisty slow stuff. It pedalled really well. I should maybe have downsized in retrospective, or maybe tried it with a less wide bar? ML size was right for me according to the supplier... anyhow, I got the opportunity to buy a Ransom and never looked back.
I can't remember about the alignment sorry...
Screenshot_20231209_211906_Gallery.jpg

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
  • No cables through the headset or bars, because we don’t hate you.:cheers:
The bike is looking very good indeed. Thanks for the head's up! I added it to my short list of potential bikes to replace my Spartan.

The YT channel Hardtail Party just released an unboxing video of the Bird Zero hardtail. He pretty much only had good things to say about the build quality of the frame.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I’m thinking of getting a Bird Aeris 9 frameset (160mm travel) since it checks all my boxes:
•No trunnion, 230x65mm shock
•30% progression for use with a coil
•threaded BB
•internal and external cable routing
•available in raw aluminium
•reasonable price
•excellent customer service so far

Anyone has ridden one or another of their bikes? I’m picky about frame alignment and durability so those are my two main concerns. Plus since they’re a really small company, I’m hoping that they will pass through the bike industry’s actual struggles.

Other frames on my list : Canfield Lithium, Commencal Meta AM ‘22 or Clash, but I’d prefer not getting another Commencal even if on sale they’d be like 1000$ less than the Bird. (They have shit QC in my experience)

Thanks for ant feedback!
Canfield Tilt also has those same specs BTW.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I had an AM9 before, the ancestor of the aeris 9, it seems.
with 475mm of reach and 440mm CS, it was a bit too much for me at 5'9 (175cm). The bike was super fast on straight chunky lines and it was a pig in the tight and twisty slow stuff. It pedalled really well. I should maybe have downsized in retrospective, or maybe tried it with a less wide bar? ML size was right for me according to the supplier... anyhow, I got the opportunity to buy a Ransom and never looked back.
I can't remember about the alignment sorry...
I'm the same size as you, but according to my current bike measurements that fit perfectly, the ML should be right on the money.

Is there anything you didn't like about the bike ?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Is there anything you didn't like about the bike ?
Beside being too big for me, I liked it very much. This bike teached me where my limits were for how big of a bike I can handle. If you know that it will fit you, go for it.
And the raw finish is so stylish!

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Over the years the reviews of Bird bikes have been very good, in the UK, and any owner I have bumped into on the trails has been really pleased. Well thought out bikes with good geo and quality is up IMO. Warranty is transferable within the first 2 years, with some stipulations. I am still toying with the idea of picking up an used AM9 to build up a cheap full sus, which I would probably mullet.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
@Rhubarb did you end up getting an AM9 ? I've narrowed my choices to either this or the Canfield Lithium, but leaning more towards the Bird!