Quantcast

Black Market full squish

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
If its steel, its real! I'm in the market for a 26" softtail, serious about the Dobermann Pink, but this could work as well if the back end, standover, and toe clearance are what I need.

Now, when would it be available? The Contraband has been in the works for close to a year I believe, if this is another year out, well, I don't think I would wait (I've waited that long for the Pink, but next spring/summer is my time to buy :-)).

Thanks for posting, Brandon, did you get to ride it? How does it compare to your whip?

Salty4X

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
They should be out in around 8 weeks. The bike is sick, it's called the kill switch and weighs right at 5lbs w/out the shock. Can be set up as a single speed or with gears and has a great geometry for SS/DS/4X. The bike in the photo is Carter's personal whip so I don't think anyone has roasted it yet. Steel is for hard tails.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm interested to see what the evolution of full squish DJ bikes brings. Right now, everything is BB concentric and I'm not certain that's the best option (aside from SS drivetrain options), but then again, maybe it is for this application.

I used to have an Arrow DS-3 and it pedaled like a trampoline but it was silly fun in the corners and it jumped OK. I ran mine singlespeed too so that was fun...

Salty4X

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
just my opinion, you can take it how you want, but I would never ride any of those bikes. :****:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
To say one material is only suitable for a certain kind of frame? 'tis a silly opinion. That's like saying carbon fiber is only for road bikes.

Salty4X

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
To say one material is only suitable for a certain kind of frame? 'tis a silly opinion. That's like saying carbon fiber is only for road bikes.
that is coming from you, someone I don't know or respect, carbon is for road bikes and xc is a road bike sport (haha) I think you've also taken my phrase and made your own silly opinion, boutique bike boy

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Here's a better frame material question: How many lightweight dual suspension bikes have been made from steel? Not that it can't be done, but it surely can't be done cheaply.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Here's a better frame material question: How many lightweight dual suspension bikes have been made from steel? Not that it can't be done, but it surely can't be done cheaply.
From what I recall, the SWD's and Majin's were reasonably light DH bikes (could easily built around the 40-42lb mark) and were relatively inexpensive (the Majin's do have a very favorable exchange rate). The new SuperCo is very light, but price is still TBA (and I'm guessing will be pricey).

I'd be curious to see BMW or SuperCo take a stab at a light weight, single pivot (not even shock linkage) frame. Supertherm has great strength to weight ratio, but is on the pricey side. If a simple frame was made from it, I'd be willing to bet that it would be on par price and quality wise with most of what is on the DH market nowadays.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I would argue that the fatigue life and dent resistance of a steel frame is worth the weight penalty, whether it's on a full sus or a hardtail, and especially so on a DJ/FR/SS/Urban ride.

I don't think the doberman is very expensive, and I doubt it's weight is super high.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I would argue that the fatigue life and dent resistance of a steel frame is worth the weight penalty, whether it's on a full sus or a hardtail, and especially so on a DJ/FR/SS/Urban ride.
Not to mention it can be re-welded and NOT heat treated in the even of a minor crack.

Luckynumber13

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
NJ
just found a few more
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3947084/
bottomed out
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3947074/
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3947070/

geometry looks perfect or very close to it

EDIT: it was on the pinkbike home page
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Killswitch-Black-Market-Bikes-2009.html

full specs and everything:

Killswitch Vital Statistics:
TT - 21" Actual or 22.25”
CS - 16"/406mm
SO - 26"/ 660mm
BB - 13"/ 330mm
WB - 41.25"/ 1047.75mm
Shock - 6.5" x 1.5"/ 165mm x 38mm air
HA - 69 standard with the option of 68 or 70 with concentric headset
Weight - 8 lbs./ 3.62 kgs. with shock
26.5 lbs./ 12 kgs. as shown
Travel - 4"

Seat clamp - 34.9mm (included)
Seat post - 30.9mm
ISCG 05 mounts
Internal headset

Last edited:

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
We worked closely with Pablo Tafoya in developing our "Hammer-Link" design

Pablo Tafoya- industrial designer of Corsair bikes...

Salty4X

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
I was told it was contracted directly through the designer and Corsair "had nothing to do with it" not my words, Carter's. Would you say that FOX is now making the X-Fusion shocks and forks now because Anthony Trujilio is now designing their stuff?