Quantcast

Black Market riot BB/cranks issues

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
wtf.

I got a riot recently and swapped the parts from my STP onto it. The BB came loose once, so I tightend it up and it was fine for a few weeks.

It started feeling wierd today so I took the bearings/cups out and the threads are pretty much gone from the cups. (Truvativ Holzfeller crankset, Howitzer bottom bracket). I did use plenty of grease and I've wrenched plenty to know how to not wreck stuff.

I'm guessing it's simply the fact that the Howitzer BB is cheap?

My question is, what BB should I be running? I have two sets of crank arms (some X-drive FSA things and the Holzfeller ones) I also have a set of Fly BMX cranks but it looks like they won't fit because the spindle is too short.(?) oh, and I have an older set of FSA bmx cranks with Ti spindle (probably also too short for this frame)

I'd rather not buy a whole new set of cranks if I don't have to.

What size front sprocket and what BB do you guys run on your Riot/Mobs?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i have an Odyssey euro bb on my MOB. i didn't have any issues with it at all.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
I have profile. You know I have an old set of primo powerbite cranks lying around that used to be on my riot. I could ship them to you for like 65$. For some reason bmx cranks work really well, maybe because the frame is chromoly and the stp frame is aluminum?? You should try a bmx bb. THey are very cheap.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Do I need a certain width BB? I put the older FSA one on the frame and their are a few threads sticking out the non-drive side.

I haver 4 pairs of cranks (two mtn. two bmx), I'd rather not have to buy new stuff...

I have a BRAND new pair of Fly cranks but I think the spindle is too short. :(

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Do I need a certain width BB? I put the older FSA one on the frame and their are a few threads sticking out the non-drive side.

I haver 4 pairs of cranks (two mtn. two bmx), I'd rather not have to buy new stuff...

I have a BRAND new pair of Fly cranks but I think the spindle is too short. :(

The money you could be spending on profile.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Now that you mention it, I also have a pair of Profile cranks. :D

what I need isn't the arms, but the longer spindle.....(and bearings)

Salty4X

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
profile will sell you a mtb specific spindle the bearings you can get cheap from any mail order bmx shop.

Last edited:

Stan_Ireland

Chimp
Jul 25, 2008
Im running Deity cranks on mine. Seems to fit fine although there isnt enough threads on the bb for the lockring to tighten on properly. Seems to be working fine without it though.