Quantcast

Blowout Ka-boooom!

paulbug

Chimp
Oct 6, 2004
California
What's the loudest noise you've ever heard on the trail?
Was riding with a buddy yesterday, and after landing from a jump, a mile down the road I hear sssss-BOOOOM!!!
The tube had escaped from the tire and exploded...loud enough to hurt my ears.
Here's a pic of the tube, though it's hard to see.
What's the loudest noise your bike ever made on the trail?
Paul

Attachments

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
um, not the loudest thing, but i thought it was loud when i slammed into a tree at about 35mph, full face shattered and slammed into my face dislocating my jaw.
still quite f-up, don't have the money for the fix.
it was more of a CRACK then a BOOM

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
hefeweizen....yum.

i've never personally heard it, but when a rim sidewall goes friends have told me it sounds like a shotgun.

and ask john P on the DH board about his efforts to seat a tubeless tire setup w/ an air compressor...

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
um mine would be riding a skate park and i was playin on a quarter pipe and my tube popped because it was over inflated and cased the lip and it sounded like a shotgun went off right next to my ear.scared the **** out of me!!!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
When the seattube of my bike broke was pretty loud. Had the braking surface of a rim blow out and that was pretty loud too. But the loudest was when the steerer tube on my RS mag 21 broke. The impending crash was loud too.....jdcamb

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Loudest noise i've heard is when at snowshoe last season on the pro course behind colin bailey i ate **** and my bike flipped over me int he air and went tumbling downt he hill and smashed into a huge boulder making a nasty smack noise. It was suprisingly loud as i kinda just hopped up in time to see my bike just floatin in and smash down on a rock.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
my grandpa's a vet & and he used to give us bulk IV tubing rejects... We'd stick superglue in one and or knot it, pump it up and tie em off like super balloon animal balloons. One night in the middle of the night one exploded in our kitchen, and we dont know if it was the sound or the balloon shooting, but it broke a glass on the table. and my brother peed himself. (but he was 5 and it was scary)

CLancy

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I landed a little jump a little off and rolled my front tire off the rim, it made that same loud pop. Unfortunately I'd been using slime in my tubes at the time so aside from having the tire get wedged in the fork, being bucked over the handlebar and eating it in a pile of rocks and leaves I got covered in exploded slime too.