Quantcast

Blur LT vs other trail bikes? suggestions welcome

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
I am in the market for a new trail bike. I came off a BMC fourstroke that got stolen so my renters insurance is allowing me to but a bike of similar replacement cost. I am looking for something a little more trail bikeish than the 4inch race bike geometry of the bmc. I have been looking at the blur LT carbon, trek remedy, pivot mach 5.7, enduro and a few others. I like the blur lt carbon the best and the xt build pack they sell is very nice. I have also herd about the vpp blurs wearing through bearing fast but unsure if this is a common problem with the new carbon ones. Any suggestions on what to buy. I live in maine where there are very few demo bikes so most likely i wont get to demo a bike before i buy it.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Have you had a chance to test ride many of them? Im full blast SC slut and already Have an LT2 Alu so I'd def go SC, but be sure yourself! (Also Carbon is teh t*tz!); All of the bikes listed are really solid.

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
I have a BLTc and love it. Get a Works Components headset to slacken out the head angle/drop the BB and you're looking at one awesome trail rig with dh geometry (if that's your sort of thing). The bike is more than up for some serious bashing. Get one and ride it like a downhill bike. The bearing issues you referenced are on older model vpp bikes. SC's new axle/bearing setup is righteous. You won't be disappointed.

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
I have a blur ltc and really like it. It's very stiff and the Pushed RP23 on there is sensitive and well controlled. I've never changed the bearings since buying it in Feb 2010 although they have started to feel a bit gritty now so have a set ready to press in. The grease ports and collet bearings make maintenance straight forward.

The only minor niggles I have with it are
1. I'm 6ft and the large is a bit on the short side so have to use a 70mm stem.
2. Stock geo gives a 68.5 HA with a revelation 150 fork. I've got 2deg slackening cups which make the steering much less twitchy on the downs.
3. Change the lower shock reducer as soon as poss to a heavy duty through axle or a rwc needle bearing as they wear out after a few rides.

Overall I love it. If I had the money I'd try a bos vip'r rear shock to see if it sags less than the rp23 when climbing and would be interested in a 160mm travel adjust fork for the front (maybe the new fox 34) as the revelation feels comparatively noodley compared to the frame. Surprised Santa cruz haven't updated the geo to something similar to the blur trc tbh...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
LTc is a great ride. The bearing issues were solved long ago. Newer SC bikes have a completely updated system. The bearings last a long time and are much easier to service. SC's new hardware is a positive attribute, not a negative.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Check Intense also. The SC toptubes feel to short for me, but Intense seems to fit better.

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
I have become a big fan of DW Link bikes. Climbs much more efficiently than VPP, single pivot, etc. Go and demo Turner Spot, Ibis and Pivots, and compare them to the ones you tried.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
really all these bikes that are being thrown out have very different suspension platforms, and will fit differently if you actually plan to ride for a few hours every outing...

do you want a plush, active suspension that does not squat under firm pedaling, but not the best out-of-saddle sprinting? then look at a trance x

do you want a firm suspension off the top that sprints really well? blur lt or mojo hd

do you want a fairly suportive suspension thru the whole range of travel? enduro or remedy

etc.

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
thanks for the input, demoed a blur trc today and was pretty impressed. going to demo a tallboy tomorrow just to see how it feels but i am not sure i can switch over to big wheels

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Also check out the Specialized Stumpjumper EVO line up. I built an EVO frame up in January and have been really impressed with it. It is more of a trail bike than the Enduro. Pedal great and descends even better.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i have ridden the blur lt, but coming from a scott gambler plowtruck, i really didnt like it much.

the geometry is too XC-ish for my taste. from the bikes you posted, i liked the enduro much better.