Quantcast

BMW why........

gunslingger

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Vancouver, WA
All this talk about Brooklyn fully's and I just do not understand. Why would you want such an expensive and heavy bike. I understand they are rare and made well but ride-wise for the money they do not make sense. Usually price=technology of some sort (think VPP or lighter materials) but BMWs are just tanks with nothing outstanding to offer. I am not hating just wondering why. ......

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
If you must ask why you will never understand young grasshopper.:eek:

honestly it's quality of the craftsmanship, quality of the ride and the overall pimpness factor. Steel lasts longer than AL. the frame package isn't that bad as far as weight goes. You can build it for racing or build it bombproof.

What other bikes are made in 2000 that are repainted yearly and work good as new in 2004? Nothing else i know of.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Originally posted by gunslingger
All this talk about Brooklyn fully's and I just do not understand. Why would you want such an expensive and heavy bike. I understand they are rare and made well but ride-wise for the money they do not make sense. Usually price=technology of some sort (think VPP or lighter materials) but BMWs are just tanks with nothing outstanding to offer. I am not hating just wondering why. ......
They have 2 chains... you bike only has one. So obviously this bike will be twice as expensive... DUH! :p

Actually I think years ago they were one of the few bikes with double digit rear travel, so they were seen to be worth it. The bike was big fat beast... and worth it! Now they seem to have lightened them up, but I agree that the novelty has worn off.(IMO)

gunslingger

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by Lexx D
If you must ask why you will never understand young grasshopper.:eek:

honestly it's quality of the craftsmanship, quality of the ride and the overall pimpness factor. Steel lasts longer than AL. the frame package isn't that bad as far as weight goes. You can build it for racing or build it bombproof.

What other bikes are made in 2000 that are repainted yearly and work good as new in 2004? Nothing else i know of.
so then in 2004 you have an out dated heavy steel frame still..........i rode one and all i though was this thing is heavy and long. also do you really think they are made any better than a foes, ventana, or turner?

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
Let's see...

If you're talking about the Race Link:

-Fully independent suspension that is COMPLETELY unaffected by pedaling - sprints like balls.
-Fully active floating brake.
-High pivot for a sweet, bump-eating axle path.
-Progressive moto link creates a rising rate without relying on shock technology.
-Steel front triangle and swing arm are bullit proof and solid. Lasts way longer then AL, and can be rewelded if you can manage to crack it.
-Afore mentioned bling factor - they are SEXY!
-Everything is done in house (paint? not sure..) - machining and welding are beautiful and top notch.
-Actual frame weight is 14 lbs - total reasonable for a DH frame and relatively light for steel. Can be built up to 45-46 lbs if parts are selected carefully.
-Comes with an Avy - nuff said.

Search for some reviews, you'll start to get the idea. This bike is a long term investment that can last you the rest of your life if you treat it well.

I'll definitely consider it for my next DH bike (if there are any left when I sell my current one).

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
that's funny. i never realized my 44 lbs "tank" that digs into berms like a dirt bike, is nimble whipping through snaking s-turns, dances seamlessly through relentless rock gardens and everything in between had nothing to offer. silly me. oh well. i think i'll abuse the hell out of it for another three years, then feel completely confident when re-selling that its next owner will be just as pleased and safe as i was. but i won't learn my lesson there....i'll put that money towards my next inferior brooklyn.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Originally posted by Zoso

-Actual frame weight is 14 lbs - total reasonable for a DH frame and relatively light for steel. Can be built up to 45-46 lbs if parts are selected carefully.
actually, iirc they build up only 1-2lbs heavier than a 222 with the same parts (obviously the BMW will need the Profiles, extra chains/cogs/etc)h

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
A friend of mine ride a v10 and got a flat and we did not want to fix it It was end of the day so I let him ride my race link. He could not believe how nice and fast it was. He was so excited and could not believe it could ride so good, he is now thinking of ditching the v10 and come to the other side.

Just ride one and you will see

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
so then in 2004 you have an out dated heavy steel frame still..........i rode one and all i though was this thing is heavy and long. also do you really think they are made any better than a foes, ventana, or turner?
And the foes that is the same design since 2000 isn't out dated?:think: Yeah exactly. If it's too heavy for ya then just say so we won't make fun.
Are they made better, I don't know but they will last longer and often out perform other "up to date" designs. The heavy and long bike you speak of is probably a TMX, a nice bike but the link is the more "up to date" design.:D

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I find (for me anyway) that quality of construction is key when getting a frame. My pet peeve is misaligned frames and I'm sure BMW doesn't have that while a lot of other frames do. Along with their suspension setup and the fact that it's not too heavy, it makes a logical choice if your wallet can handle it.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Originally posted by Brian Peterson
BTW, Chromegoddess does not qualify as a big girl either... And she tears it up on her Brooklyn...

Brian
Thanks Brian (however un-deserving of support I might be, given how snippy my sarcasm was earlier in this thread.) But you are correct sir, I'm downright scrawny in the muscles department and have no trouble handling the bike. Hike-a-bike sessions do a number on me, but still totally do-able.

Sep 10, 2001
It's funny how with so many other bikes in that same weight range, the Brooklyn is still considered a tank... After all, it's not considered a XC bike...:D

Terry, I finally finished the book.... And for anyone who hasn't read Marla Streb's book yet, I give it :thumb: :thumb:

Brian

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
"It's funny how with so many other bikes in that same weight range, the Brooklyn is still considered a tank... After all, it's not considered a XC bike." True indeed!!

Good news you liked the book Brian. Marla's my hero....even though she poked fun at my old TMX a couple years ago....

...until she squooshed it...then all she could say was that I should consider a switch from platforms to the clicky things y'all use to keep your feet on your pedals. ;)

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
im gonna have to fight the HEAVY part of this thread. with my Hadley/EX823s i can get it down to 43lbs.
imagine if i had a Ti bb and a Ti brake arm. Carbon bar. come on thats almost another pound.
besides i've never ridden anything better.
i wanted something that would cancel out all the extra annoy things(brake jack, chainsuck....). whether i'm a good rider or not.

though at the moment its 46lbs with my FR wheelset.
darn thats soo heavy......:rolleyes:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Quality, craftsmanship, looks, performance. Those are pretty good reasons. I would never buy one (too expensive for my tastes, doesn't do too much for me anyways) but I can certainly understand why someone would.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
wow, your right, with the exception of the decals, I can barely tell these two framesets apart......

oh, well, the decals, and the jackshaft and eccentric bottom bracket shell, left hand drive system, linkage actuated avalanche shock, floating disc brake mount, integrated chainguide, built in fork stop, 12mm rear though axle, and burly cromo construction. But hey, that's everyday ordinary stuff:rolleyes:

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
I do not own a BMW, but I have ridden a race link and I think what impresses me is that it is a quite small and at the same time a burly frame still containing 9" of travel. It seems light to throw around (maybe because of the size)....and finally....super bling bling :) :devil: :devil: :)