Quantcast

BMX cruisers vs - 24" jump bikes

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Hi all,
I've been trying out several cruisers of late but can't seem to find one I like or more specifically feel comfy on - I was thinking of maybe getting a cruisrer and putting large bars on it.
One thing I can't figure out with crsuiers is why do they have such small bars - when placed next to a normal 20" the bars are at the same height, meaning that the rider is almost falling over the front of the bike.

Then I sat on a DMR drone - this, I think, is perhaps the best geometry for a large BMX bike but is it a BMX or a small MTB????

I'm a tall guy - over 6'2" and about 15 stone. I have given up on a 20" bike - they are just too small. The cruisers I think just don't cut it but the new generation of 24" "jump" bikes might be just the ticket for a larger BMX - can they really be used in the street and park though?

Does anyone have a DMR drone? What is it like?
Best Regards
Ian

jeremyb

Monkey
Dec 3, 2004
Christchurch, New Zealand
The reason behind the bars AFAIK is so that when you are racing and go from your 20 to your cruiser it feels similar, I put a set of 8.5" rise bars on mine and it made a huge difference (I don't race 20)...

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
I never really rode a 20" besides my stingray and that was about 27 years ago but the backtrail 24 I just got feels like the bb is really high compared to djmtb's I've owned and ridden.

Do you guys think that is just because the bars are low?

I use a zero rise stem and 1" rise bars on my p2 so I am used to riding a lower front end.

I might have to take some measurements to see how it actually compares.

Oh, I'm like 5'11'' or so

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Hi all,
I've been trying out several cruisers of late but can't seem to find one I like or more specifically feel comfy on - I was thinking of maybe getting a cruisrer and putting large bars on it.
One thing I can't figure out with crsuiers is why do they have such small bars - when placed next to a normal 20" the bars are at the same height, meaning that the rider is almost falling over the front of the bike.

Then I sat on a DMR drone - this, I think, is perhaps the best geometry for a large BMX bike but is it a BMX or a small MTB????

I'm a tall guy - over 6'2" and about 15 stone. I have given up on a 20" bike - they are just too small. The cruisers I think just don't cut it but the new generation of 24" "jump" bikes might be just the ticket for a larger BMX - can they really be used in the street and park though?

Does anyone have a DMR drone? What is it like?
Best Regards
Ian
very good point. previous discussion:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196889

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
I don't know what you're using it for but more and more bmx compaines are finally kick in out some more street/jump 24s

Sunday for example
wow. those are.. fugly? really don't like the colours, and why is the BB so high?
24" mtb with rigid forks looks much much better imo, and it will do the same.

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
my homeboy joe has taken the DMR transition and made it into a 24" bmx. (24" pitchfork instead of a suspension corrected fork) and some low rise bmx bars. the bike kills it as far as i'm concerned and i actually ride a cruiser w/ 8.5" bars...
Do you have pictures of this - I have just bought a DMR transition and have now bought some medium rise bars but haven't done anything with the forks yet - would love to see what joe's is like
Regards
Ian

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I never really rode a 20" besides my stingray and that was about 27 years ago but the backtrail 24 I just got feels like the bb is really high compared to djmtb's I've owned and ridden.

Do you guys think that is just because the bars are low?

I use a zero rise stem and 1" rise bars on my p2 so I am used to riding a lower front end.

I might have to take some measurements to see how it actually compares.

Oh, I'm like 5'11'' or so
I don't think the Backtrail 24" bb's are abnormally high. Sounds like you should pick up some taller bars. These would probably be perfect:

S&M Dive handlebar

Description: 6.75" rise, 24" width, 8 degree backsweep, 4.5 degree upsweep; 1 lb 10 oz; black only; some crazy lady propositioned me and 4 friends at a dive bar

Price: $54.95
www.empirebmx.com

See, with 24" bmx cruisers that are supposed to be "street" (peg compatible) you have to have the bb higher than 12" or so or else the bottom bracket will hit the coping/ledge during a double peg grind. With 24" wheels, the center of your pegs is right at 12", but with 20" wheels it's at 10".

As for bb height and 26" mtbmx, P2's have a low bb. That's why they still feel normal with only 1" bars. When you ride a high bb 26", you may like 2"s or 3"s better.

Last edited:
24" bmx with the S&M divebars...

i can't expess how much i love this setup. i'm not a geo geek, so don't expect me to know squat about the numbers. i just know how to rip and this setup is infinitely better than some regular cruiser bars...

(iksmudge: i'm looking for a picture of joes bike. i know i have a grip of them somewhere...)

Last edited:

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
24" bmx with the S&M divebars...

i can't expess how much i love this setup. i'm not a geo geek, so don't expect me to know squat about the numbers. i just know how to rip and this setup is infinitely better than some regular cruiser bars...

(iksmudge: i'm looking for a picture of joes bike. i know i have a grip of them somewhere...)

how nice. your pedals match your wall.