Quantcast

BMX winter project

Leon94

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
McLean, VA
Finally got a Haro DJ frame (26") to build up over the winter, and interested in getting into the sport of BMX. I know very little about the sport, and not completely sure where to start. I custom build mountain bikes for a living, but never dealt with BMX...ideally, I prefer to buy a complete bike, since I am unfamiliar with components such as fork, frame, cranks, wheels, etc. I will spend most of the time in skate parks, and I am 5' 10".

I am going to put some names out there, and if anyone can give me some suggestions on where to start. My budget is around $500 or even $600. If I can custom build a kick @ss BMX bike for less, even better. Most mid-range BMX frames are over $200 alone (Hoffman Mantra/Dekko/Condor/BAMA/etc.).

...and also if anyone would be willing to describe their BMX setup and list some bmx specific online stores so that I can get ideas on where to begin.

www.mybikebmx.com
=================
- 2007 Eastern Ace of Spades Atom Series 20" BMX sale $530
- 2008 Hoffman Dekko AL 20" BMX -Iced Lemon/Industrial $520
- 2008 Mongoose Shield Team BMX 20" Bike $600

* am very well aware it will take some time for me to transition from being a weekend warrior to a bmx rider.

Hope to hear some suggestions.
Thanks,

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Albes
Staff
Empire

All are good companies to work with. Dans is fine as well.

Just one thing I want to throw out there, and this is not biased towards Leon94 at all, but why do so many mountain bikers cheap out when it comes to 20" bikes? $500, yes, thats a chunk of change, but how many of these same guys are riding $2000 bikes and higher for mountain bikes. If you want quality you gotta pay a little more. A solid wheel set will come in at around $350-400 alone. Throw in a solid frame and some basic parts and we are a little closer to the $1000 range. Now granted if your not really into the whole thing why chance it and buy something nice right away, but on the other hand I've always found that a nicer build makes the whole thing more fun.

On the other hand if you have no idea maybe its good to start simple and find out what you like and then upgrade, I dunno, I've just been thinking about this for a while. Carry on, and Leon, have fun, riding 20's is a lot of fun, just be patient and ride with as many people that are better then you as possible!

Leon94

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
McLean, VA
I agree with T1maglio, Most mountain bikes especially customized will cost over $1000. I have two mountain bikes, which I custom built...one cost $1,150 and the other $900.

I did visit the bmx online store, www.danscomp.com, which Cru Jones suggested and glad I found it. Great selection of frames! I educated myself on the differences in frame material, sizing, BB type, and components, yet I still have more to learn, but nevertheless have an understanding on where to begin.

Does anyone recommend going with a frame and the "pro parts package" for $330 or are the components crap?

I looked at "We the People Miller Lite V2 and Ovoid frames" both on sale $200 with a mid BB/ Japanese tubing (stronger or weaker than full chromoly?) @ 5 lbs
I also looked at the FMF Flying Machine Pro (cool design and LIGHT!), but realized it had 7005 Aluminum tubing with a 15.3" CS
*** Intense Sabot (sniper) Pro (20.5 TT) frame @ 4 lbs...7005 aluminum :(

As before, any suggestions well appreciated.

sb317

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
North Carolina
The FMF and Intense are racing frames. Not sure what you're going to be using the bike for but if there's any street or park involved don't go with a race frame. I wish I knew more about the parts package from dan's but I don't. I wouldn't think it would be very high end parts though. Could be wrong. I got a Premium complete last year because of the 21" tt and the price was right. I didn't want to do a custom build because I wasn't sure I'd like being back on a 20. Well, I haven't looked back and I'm upgrading parts as I can. I think a complete is the way to go if your not sure your going to stick with it I think.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
The parts package is mostly poverty stuff, which seems fine to me, maybe not top of the line but probably better than alot of low end oem stuff. Alex wheels. It says 22 lbs for the whole package which doesn't seem bad at all.

max123

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
I just built up a LAF for my first bmx and it is decked out and absolutely sick. One thing I must say especially if your coming from mountain bikes is that a nicer bmx bike will be ten times more fun and if ur used to spending that much on bikes any way go for it and spend 700-900. The completes ive ridden and the custom builds ive ridden are completely different experiences. mine is crazy light like 23-24 heres the spec
s and m laf
dia comp brake
odyssey race lite fork
s and m xlt bars
odyssey elementary stem
fsa impact headset
primo wheelset
odyssey wombolt cranks
animal pedals
animal clamp, grips, and tires
pivotal seat and post

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Since you're coming off a mtb and never really rode bmx, be sure to set your bike up BIG.

-- A 21" top tube. Maybe even 21.25".
-- Top loader stem (if you can find one, most are front loaders these days). A top loader will raise your bars maybe a half inch. If you want to spacer your stem up, you might want to make sure there will be enough room on your fork steer tube. Some forks are already cut lowfor low profile stems and internal headsets.
-- Full size 8" tall bars, maybe even some 8.25" T1 Buchannan bars etc. etc. A lot of the stock bikes out there come with 7.5" rise bars and front loader stems. You'll notice the difference (well at least I would).

I suggest www.empirebmx.com . Better than DAN'S !!