Quantcast

Body fat monitors?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Heidi
I prefer to monitor my fat without any devices.
Agreed. You know if your fat or not... ;) ;) ;) although... I did get tested in a dunk tank last year. I think I was 16% fat... :dead: :angry: :dead: Acadian is ZERO % fat... and everyone else who responded was well under 10%. I must be porky. :rolleyes:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Agreed. You know if your fat or not... ;) ;) ;) although... I did get tested in a dunk tank last year. I think I was 16% fat... :dead: :angry: :dead: Acadian is ZERO % fat... and everyone else who responded was well under 10%. I must be porky. :rolleyes:
Weren't we all using some jacked up calculator?

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Agreed. You know if your fat or not...
snip
Yeah, it's just a matter of how fat though. :rolleyes:
I guess I'm thinking of just a measuring tool, something more than what my inconsistent use of a tape measure can provide.
Sometimes helps the motivation factor to have that, y'know? Get an idea of where I'm starting and what progess, if any, I'm making.
I know a lot of people just use a mirror...but for some of us, the mirror can be deceiving...what I see in the mirror could be very different than what others see when looking at me.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Originally posted by KrusteeButt
I guess I'm thinking of just a measuring tool, something more than what my inconsistent use of a tape measure can provide.
Sometimes helps the motivation factor to have that, y'know? Get an idea of where I'm starting and what progess, if any, I'm making.
I know a lot of people just use a mirror...but for some of us, the mirror can be deceiving...what I see in the mirror could be very different than what others see when looking at me.
Have you thought about going to a port and having your displacement measured like a battleship? :D :D ;)

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I heard your mom goes to a lot of ports and gets displaced forward and back quite often! :angry:
focker.
:D
LOL! Only cause your mom told her about all the sexy sailors. :D

Get your fat measured by a professional. I dont know how well those "scales" work.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Looks and weight are deceptive. I put on about 8 LBS when I first started training for long distance running events... I still step on the scales but guage myself more and how I feel and how I perform. Right now I weight 20LBS more than I did when I was in highschool. I'd like to cut that to 10.

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Originally posted by Squeak
lame attempt sissy boy!!!

Get your fat measured by a professional. I dont know how well those "scales" work.
Well, by a "professional" would take time and money. The money part isn't really a big deal, but taking the time to go somewhere that would be able to do it accurately/well is something that I know I wouldn't do. Plus I'd want to measure on a somewhat regular basis, like once a month or so. I'm definitely not going to go somewhere, let alone pay someone, once a month to do it. If it's something at my house that I can use at my convenience, I'll be much more consistent with it.
As far as how well they work, the main thing that I've read is that it depends on a few factors, mainly because it's sending low-level electrical signal through your body. To be consistent, you have to have the same conditions from one measurement to the next. Time of day, how much water you've ingested in the past 24 hours, how active you've been, etc.
But again, that's only what I've read.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Well, by a "professional" would take time and money. The money part isn't really a big deal, but taking the time to go somewhere that would be able to do it accurately/well is something that I know I wouldn't do. Plus I'd want to measure on a somewhat regular basis, like once a month or so. I'm definitely not going to go somewhere, let alone pay someone, once a month to do it. If it's something at my house that I can use at my convenience, I'll be much more consistent with it.
As far as how well they work, the main thing that I've read is that it depends on a few factors, mainly because it's sending low-level electrical signal through your body. To be consistent, you have to have the same conditions from one measurement to the next. Time of day, how much water you've ingested in the past 24 hours, how active you've been, etc.
But again, that's only what I've read.
Yes all that beer will certainly screw up your electrolite levels. :D

I just don't want to know by body fat numbers.