Quantcast

Bolt-on rear axles

statorjso

Chimp
Jul 7, 2004
Okay, so can someone bless me with some bolt-on rear axle info, FAQ-style? More specifically, I'd like to know: is it possible to remove the QR ends of a typical QR axle and simply replace them with bolts? Or are there specific axle sizes that are used (12mm, etc)?

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
You should be able to remove the qr axel and replace it with a bolt-on, mine came stock but I know it is convertible back the other way (to QR). I think the size is 10mm, but am not sure.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
statorjso said:
So, you don't need a bolt-on specific hub for bolt-on axles?
I have a hub that converts from a 12mm through axle to 10mm QR axle.

It involves taking apart the 2 peice QR axle ans sliding the 12mm in....pretty much. Much in the same way my front hub is 20mm and can be 10mm QR.

I think the solid axle conversion mentioned above is just that a solid axle with nuts on the outside like a BMX wheel.

My Rotec has a 10mm Bolt on rear hub. It has two bolts that clamp down/thread into the axle. They are harder to find and I wouldn't go recomend you use what I have (AC Aircooler hub) They aren't really that special...though they look cool. http://www.adventurecomponents.com/aircooler.htm

Do you need a true bolt on axle or would the solid axle conversion work for you?

Rhino

statorjso

Chimp
Jul 7, 2004
I was just wondering if I could use a bolt-on rear axle with my standard QR rear wheel (apparently so, with an aforementioned conversion kit).

And I was confused because I had seen "bolt-on" in the description for some MTB rear wheels. I think all my questions have been answered. Thanks y'all.