Quantcast

bolt sizing question

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I just got a great sponsorship deal from TekBolt Hardware and was curious to the sizing on bolts.

bolt sizes like M5 or M6 mean Metric 5mm diameter or Metric 6mm diameter right?
and are the lengths measuring the total length of the bolt including the head or just the threaded portion.

my vernier caliper just broke so i cant accurately measure the bolts im replacing...which could help

grazie!

Dazed

Chimp
Jan 14, 2005
Norway

An M6x25 has a nominal length of 25mm, for instance. Note that this is not the same as the thread length. The whole shaft does is not always threaded.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I am unsure because I do not use ti bolts, but I think it depends on the application. Suspension bolts that might loosen have little chance of seizing up and may need loctite. Something like a stem bolt might not be loosened for a while and could corrode, so anti-seize might be better for those. I think either will protect against corrosion to some degree, but I'd get some anti-seize to use as default and use loctite if it's necessary.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
got an answer from Tekbolt

It's usually best for the threads to use one or the other. Threads last much, much longer with anti-sieze than when they are bare, but loctite also provides a small amount of lubrication. In general, use loctite if you need extra insurance in keeping a particular bolt tight, otherwise use anti-sieze.

TekBolt
bgill@tekbolt.com
www.tekbolt.com
Ph: 920-954-8660
Fax: 561-423-6326

1604-C W Haskel St
Appleton, WI 54914