Quantcast

Bolton Valley,VT 04 freeride weekends

DeWalt

Chimp
Jul 29, 2003
Green mountains Vermont
Following the success of the VT freeride weekend in sept 03, Bolton Valley has announced plans to open their mountain for freeriding on the first full weekend on every month from July through october. The VTFR crew will continue it's trailbuilding efforts throughout the spring and summer, expect big things as Bolton has approved a Freeride park on liftline, which we expect to include stunts/structures, rails and jumps. continued downhill trail development will bring the number of DH trails to over 12 routes top to bottom. If you haven't checked out Bolton, ask someone who has, they have tons of the sickest riding that vermont and the east has. I'll continue to update this post as things develope. Dewalt:D :D

foesrider

Chimp
Aug 30, 2002
north east mass.
it's about a half hour north of Montpellier..(if that)..i went last year and i must say the trails did kick a$$! and everyone there was super freindly..the lift is a littel slow but defenately worth checkin out..i'll be hittin it

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
That is such GREAT news! I was there both weekend days last Sept. and I had heard the rumors that it may be open again. I can't wait. I'd highly recommend it to other Monkies. And I love that its only 20 minutes away for me.

Hey, Dewalt, PM me about trail building schedules and I'll see if I can find the time to lend a hand.

DeWalt

Chimp
Jul 29, 2003
Green mountains Vermont
thanks for the kudos folks, I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves last sept, please spread the word as we need large turnout to keep this happening. Trailwork days will be posted at local shops so talk to the local wrenches for dates.

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
God!

The road up to Bolton Valley Ski resort is steep! We used to have rollerski tests (for xc skiing in summer) from bottom to top. Damn that was pretty hard :dead:

My friends car overheated on the way up there once too and lit on fire as well. It was a sight looking at the ski resort owner running down to us with an extinguisher yelling "get out of the car!!" stallone style...:D

T.

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
I skied Bolton for a day in 1995 and had a good time. Its relatively small compared to someplace like Stowe or Killington, but I can see how you'd have some great DH runs there.

There was a double black run that was really tight through the woods when I was there, that would probably make an excellent DH run. I'm going to have to check that map out...

I'm going to have to head back over that way for one of these ride sessions and check it out. I always have a great time in Vermont, and Bolton is pretty close to the Ben and Jerry's factory if I remember correctly.:D

JF

DeWalt

Chimp
Jul 29, 2003
Green mountains Vermont
No mtn x course yet, but Bolton has plans to have an excavator on the mountain this summer to build up the snow park, We will likely be able to use it to build something for bikes. Stay tuned! In the mean while try the course at Catamount in Williston,VT, it was designed by Kyle ebbott and is sweet. There will probably be a race series this summer check with Earls Cyclery.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I thought the riding and trails were a blast last year. During both weekend days, I think we found a different route down the mountain each time. And surprises around a lot of the corners.:D
Can't wait for the season to start - the warm weather is here!

DeWalt

Chimp
Jul 29, 2003
Green mountains Vermont
The snow is melting quickly on Bolton, the trails are snowfree and being worked on below midstation. Expect trailwork days (with late day shuttle?) by mid may. Stay tuned to this thread for updates and workdays......Dewalt

DeWalt

Chimp
Jul 29, 2003
Green mountains Vermont
Bolton trails are dry and being ridden daily!!!!!! The season is off. Thurdays are workdays on the mountain until about 5 or six when we either hike a bike or shuttle for a end of day run. The trails are dry and fast, and the stunts are being reassembled and new features are added almost daily. The new bike hook prototype should be here this week and if all goes well we'll double the bike capacity for the july 3&4 weekend. This should mean minimal lines. To hook up with work crews, leave a contact on this thread or contact Earls cyclery.

DeWalt

Chimp
Jul 29, 2003
Green mountains Vermont
Yay!!! new stunts appear daily on the mountain, trails are raked and being ridden, new DH route are being cut, The backcountry terrain is being ridden in, digging of some sweet Dirt jumps starts this week... Holy smokes theres tons going on at Bolton.. DON'T miss july 3 and 4 weekend!

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
there are pics on BS in the photos. A really nice looking step down over a cascade of water...looks to be at least 10 down by 15 out. Almost wanna drag my bike out there just to hit that. Anyone wants to do some XC on Monday in the Stowe area...bring your burly HT and stop by Irie Cycles on the Mtn. road. Also, the DJs at Catamount recently got revamped. There is alot going on in this little area...while you're up here you should check it out. Feel free to PM me if anyone is interested. Dewalt...Nice job with this thing. I wish I had the time to lend a hand, not this year. Keep up the hard work, Bolton could use a success right about now.
JD

DeWalt

Chimp
Jul 29, 2003
Green mountains Vermont
Thanks for the compliments JD, lunch after our ride with wulff last week(steak and cheese) was awsome. Photos of Bolton can be had at Hcor.net in the downhill forum somewhere in the top two pages. Also, a 4 minute Bolton Valley vid from Purple mountain productions should be available from the Bolton Valley site soon. Things are progressing quickly on the mountain, this week we delivered two of the prebuilt kicker ramps for liftline jumps and a huge pile of lumber for a chevy van stunt and wet area bridging. More work to report on thursday. anyone wishing to assist is encouraged to look me up on the wilderness liftline anytime thusday june 17th from 8am-6pm.. Dewalt

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
Ahh, the Philly wrap. Next time your in town get a nice organic salad to blow out the colon. Phillys are yummy, but they are a heart bomb and a colon clogger for sure! I recomend some wilted Kale in Miso broth with every philthy I sell. ;) What did you guys ride?

foesrider

Chimp
Aug 30, 2002
north east mass.
all i can say is WOW...this place is awesome!...everyone who lives and rides in the new england/new york/quebec area must hit this place...i'd say they have some of the most technical trails in the east...if you want to test your skills ..this is the place.log rides,skinnies,bridges,drops,steeps,ramp jumps..it definitely has the most built up stunts of any one place i've been to..and everyone at the mountain was very friendly and happy to see all the bikers..i would like to thank everyone at bolton valley for working hard to make this happen..see you all next month...
and to all who didn't make it there this month...you are missing out on some killer riding....mark it on your calendar..first weekend in august!