Quantcast

Bombshell stinky 9

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I just got a '03 stinky 9 frame (9"travel, like a stab). What do you think about forks? I like the looks of the newer Marilyn 8" forks from Bombshell. They have good reviews, and really bad ones. Who can give me a straight answer? :stosh:

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
they are ok forks for the price. The have similar internals to hanebrink forks. I wouldn't pay more than a few hundred bucks for one.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
also, I think they stopped producing them, so spare parts might be a problem?

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I thought about risking it with heavily used but high quality parts and rebuilding them, but that's really hairy, replacement parts are never easy to get.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Boxxer race.
The later model '03 had the compression hole problem solved, and if you can find an '03, it will be preety cheap. I've found some for as low as $380, but make sure it has a top crown, because RockShox sold them without. The '04 Boxxers are in the $500-530 range, and feel quite nice.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
HRDTLBRO said:
Boxxer race.
The later model '03 had the compression hole problem solved, and if you can find an '03, it will be preety cheap. I've found some for as low as $380, but make sure it has a top crown, because RockShox sold them without. The '04 Boxxers are in the $500-530 range, and feel quite nice.
boxxer race`s dont have any compression problems as they dont have a compression damper, but yea they are a good option.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
i'd try to find an older super t, shiver or monster. it seems like you can easily find a monster now for less than 400. but stay as far away from bombshell suspension as possible. I had a bombshell betty... it sucked, traded for a z1, loved it, traded the z1 for a super t, should i say... perfection?... anyways, try and find something used and good. stay away from junior t's too. you'll run into problems with the dampening, they dont hold up too well. I know a guy who blew his out within a couple houres up at whistler. try to stay away from boxxers too, i say that mostly because i hate rock shox. I hate the way they feel and ride. marzocchi makes the best forks in my opinion.

Mumbles

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
vitox said:
boxxer race`s dont have any compression problems as they dont have a compression damper, but yea they are a good option.
boxxer races are deifnietly really good budget forks -- noting too fancy, and if you ride it hard enough you'll notice some of the downfalls, but you sure can't beat the price -- i know theres at least 1 in the buy + sell forum for less than 200 bucks, i think. can't really beat that.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Mumbles said:
boxxer races are deifnietly really good budget forks -- noting too fancy, and if you ride it hard enough you'll notice some of the downfalls, but you sure can't beat the price -- i know theres at least 1 in the buy + sell forum for less than 200 bucks, i think. can't really beat that.
youre right about that but i would suggest a 01 or 00 or 02 boxxer even more, those can be found for the money he is willing to spend and are a far better fork, just be sure that it has been frequently mantained and that the lowers arent bent or dented.

konaracer

Chimp
May 21, 2004
I have a 02' stinky 9 frame with 03 super t's and a avalanche rear shock. Worth alot of money but real good set up