Quantcast

BOOOOOO E-BIKES

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I guess it's worth saying too that some climbs are hard because there's a lot of technical moves and you gotta get over stuff and hit the right line up, do the push over and throw your weight forward, traverse over or kind of switchback, etc. But wherever you can get and save a little momentum, you can make it dramatically easier to get past these obstacles. Some climbs are just steep and loose and it's a matter of how you apply the power and being very delicate. Just depends.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Question for the electric monkeys: I can get a very good deal on an E-bike, is a 625 Wh battery sufficient? I'm not worried about my local spots, but I also intend to use the bike on alpine adventures and instead of relying on shuttles.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Question for the electric monkeys: I can get a very good deal on an E-bike, is a 625 Wh battery sufficient? I'm not worried about my local spots, but I also intend to use the bike on alpine adventures and instead of relying on shuttles.
My Shuttle has the Shimano 504 Wh pack. I find that to be sufficient for 3,500’ vert days, maybe 4,000’ now that I am defattened a bit.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
It depends on how heavy you are, how strong you are, and how you use it. I get about 20% more life out of my battery than my buddy riding side by side on identical ebikes, but he weighs about 30 lbs more than me.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Is the battery new? They tend to degradate over time, just like any other battery.

Anyways, generally speaking the 625 should be good. It also depends on what mode you're in, your weight, vertical, etc. I haven't done much big alpine, mostly local. And I only use like half of a 625 in about 2 hours. 1200ft of vert. 12 miles. Mostly in trail mode or eco. FYI. Sometimes I just turn it off for descents. Just cuz. And watch out when it gets to the last bar of battery power. It goes quick. But luckily you have your own battery and can pedal :D

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Is the battery new? They tend to degradate over time, just like any other battery.
It's a test bike (Flyer Uproc 6) with about 200 miles on it, so fairly new. I know of the variables that affect range, was just wondering if anything below 750 is now considered unridabru in an age when they are stuffing 900 Wh packs in bikes.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Unless you are pretty lightweight and disciplined/conservative with the juice, no, one 625 Wh battery is probably not enough for what most people think of as "alpine adventures" (i.e., all day in the saddle with several thousand feet of climbing and technical flat-ish/traversing along with downhills). I have a 720 Wh battery on my heckler and end up in the red on routes that are not as long as some of the rides we do on regular bikes in the Sierra high country, and that's with using Eco a fair amount. (Of course, we cover that ground faster and suffer less along the way, but still.) That said, depending on the bike you may be able to get a second battery or an extender to carry along. Some folks do battery drops as well so they can swap a battery at a logical spot, but that requires advance planning and/or good friends (just like shuttles). 625 is enough for plenty of fun for sure, but you need to be realistic with expectations.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Depends on the motor and what your riding buddies have. You just want a little more range than your best riding buddy. I would get a Bosch motor, btw.

The 900wh bikes are heavier so that’s also something to consider.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Depends on the motor and what your riding buddies have. You just want a little more range than your best riding buddy. I would get a Bosch motor, btw.

The 900wh bikes are heavier so that’s also something to consider.
Motor is a Bosch CX and I don't have any friends (that have E-Bikes). Might just give this a try as I can probably offload the bike for the same money if I don't like it. It's this model here:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
It's a test bike (Flyer Uproc 6) with about 200 miles on it, so fairly new. I know of the variables that affect range, was just wondering if anything below 750 is now considered unridabru in an age when they are stuffing 900 Wh packs in bikes.
flyer with which motor?

i have 360wh + 252wh range extender, good for +-2000m of vert

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Motor is a Bosch CX and I don't have any friends (that have E-Bikes). Might just give this a try as I can probably offload the bike for the same money if I don't like it. It's this model here:

Looks like fun!

Can you try it out? You know, actually go ride a trail you think you may want to use it on? You said it was used, right? Leverage that to make sure "things still work" Like the battery. ;)

Seriously though. Batteries are not cheap. For reference a secondary 504 battery for my Scott (shimano motor) was around $650 USD.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Looks like fun!

Can you try it out? You know, actually go ride a trail you think you may want to use it on? You said it was used, right? Leverage that to make sure "things still work" Like the battery. ;)

Seriously though. Batteries are not cheap. For reference a secondary 504 battery for my Scott (shimano motor) was around $650 USD.
Can’t test it unfortunately as the bike is still at the manufacturer (it’s a test bike with little mileage), but that at least gives me confidence that it will be fine from a technical perspective. I do have the all mountain version of the bike at work and was able to ride it a bit, but it’s hardly conclusive as it has slightly different geometry, is the wrong size and has a different motor. Was really fun nevertheless and makes me want to take a punt on this.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I can't tell from the article. Were they on an ebike, like the one you have to pedal? Or the one with a throttle? I really wish there was more clarity on that. Not just from the article, but from industry in general. If it has a throttle, I'm thinking e-moto.

Where I live there are plenty of people with vespa type motorcycles. Which, they drive in the bicycle lane. Even on sidewalks. In addition to streets. I assume people are like, I'm going green and getting an electric vespa! But it's actually called an ebike.

IDK, what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I can't tell from the article. Were they on an ebike, like the one you have to pedal? Or the one with a throttle?
I see lots of kids and lazy adults on the moped looking ones (20” wheels with fat tires, high risers) just putzing around on throttle, +/- phone in hand. They have a throttle good for 20 mph if with factory software.

/me only uses pedal assist since the point is to be a faster bicycle, imo

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I see lots of kids and lazy adults on the moped looking ones (20” wheels with fat tires, high risers) just putzing around on throttle, +/- phone in hand. They have a throttle good for 20 mph if with factory software.

Yeah, agreed

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

We have a commuter bike path next to the main highway going into Brisbane. There's a bunch of 'illegal' e-bikes and e-scooter users that blitz along that thing at like 50 - 60kph. I'm sure there's eventually gonna be enough collisions/accidents that the authorities are just going to blanket ban stuff because they can't distinguish things easily.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
the point is to be a faster bicycle
If your Ebike is legally restricted to 15.5mph (as in UK/EU) they're not actually faster on road anywhere than a fit rider is. Battery/distance ranges are also still a lot less than the sort of distances a fit rider is capable of. But Ebikes certainly do take a lot less effort getting from A to B for the average Joe.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If your Ebike is legally restricted to 15.5mph (as in UK/EU) they're not actually faster on road anywhere than a fit rider is. Battery/distance ranges are also still a lot less than the sort of distances a fit rider is capable of. But Ebikes certainly do take a lot less effort getting from A to B for the average Joe.
I'm in the US, you will recall.

My Class 1 e-mtb has an assist limit of 20 mph but it's geared for mountain biking so that's not an issue in real life.

My e-cargo and e-commuter bikes are both unlimited via software (out of box as 20 mph and 28 mph pedal assist limits) but are effectively 22-23 mph and 24-26 mph kinds of rigs given aerodynamics and motor power limitations.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. Sorry. I know. I should have specified that I was sharing our (and the Aussies) experience.

My Emtb is derestricted (to 32mph) and I now have a light weight(ish) Fazua 50/250wh E road/gravel bike (700x38 Gravelking slicks) and I've kept it restricted to 15.5mph. I bought it mainly for comfortable commuting. on my ~20 mile ride in to work there's only one short hill and one long drag where I use the motor but on the way home the last 7 miles is a succession of climbs of varying gradient (often into a headwind) so for each I'll use the motor and sit right on the limit spinning. I could ride each of those climbs on my TCR faster. But I'd be fucked commuting 4 days if I did that. Because of the way I use the motor the 250wh battery is good for around 100miles on one charge in Eco. The entire battery/motor is also removable leaving me with a 28lb off road capable disc road bike. Our roads are shit and I'm really liking the wider tyres. It is a bit of a pig hopping potholes compared to an 18lb Carbon roadbike tho ;)

Last edited:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah. Sorry. I know. I should have specified that I was sharing our (and the Aussies) experience.

My Emtb is derestricted (to 32mph) and I now have a light weight(ish) Fazua 50/250wh E road/gravel bike (700x38 Gravelking slicks) and I've kept it restricted to 15.5mph. I bought it mainly for comfortable commuting. on my ~20 mile ride in to work there's only one short hill and one long drag where I use the motor but on the way home the last 7 miles is a succession of climbs of varying gradient (often into a headwind) so for each I'll use the motor and sit right on the limit spinning. I could ride each of those climbs on my TCR faster. But I'd be fucked commuting 4 days if I did that. Because of the way I use the motor the 250wh battery is good for around 100miles on one charge in Eco. The entire battery/motor is also removable leaving me with a 28lb off road capable disc road bike. Our roads are shit and I'm really liking the wider tyres. It is a bit of a pig hopping potholes compared to an 18lb Carbon roadbike tho ;)
Long winded way of saying you got a gravel bike. Nerd.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
EGravelbike = SuperNerd

TBF is it? with Road bars and road tyres?

I honestly don't understand gravel biking, luggage or stupid flared bars

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia

Bit of a faff around at the start, but fuck Ratboy can chuck a bike about - heavy ebike or nah. Good to see some content from him again

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Noticed how small a bike for a big lad like him he's chosen to ride?
Makes a massive difference for chuckin em about
Hey guys,I have a question on the chains you are runnin on the sleds. Saw a YT video talkin about how you should/need a EBike chain. It causes more stress on the chain so they made a special chain for EBikes. How is it heavier,stronger? Cost Is worth it? Why don’t the DH boys run um,or do they.

Avy

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Just don't use an NX chain. Those things are shit. I wore one out in 600 miles on my eeb. I think as usual X01/X0/XT is probably the sweet spot for durability/value. I get >2000 miles of X01 Eagle chains.