Quantcast

BOOOOOO E-BIKES

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I find a mix of fitness in a decent sized group often has the effect of the faster fitter guys feeling like they've been waiting so long they've cooled down and just want to head off again as soon as the last unfit guy reaches them when in reality it's the unfit guy who *needs* a rest most. Ebikes can work really well for those guys. but only if they're not dicks with the pace.
Haha, we joke that stops like that are called French Stops. I'm usually one of the faster pedalers in the local, except when we ride with the freaks who like to go do 4000 ft days all the time. And the one local with an eeb that I ride with I'm able to keep up with most of the time when I'm in Trail mode and he's in Turbo.

To clarify, the reason I brought the eeb down to Santa Cruz this last weekend was because initially it was just going to be me. Then another guy said he'd join, and I figured I'd still bring it plus tow rope for him. Then last minute a second guy asked if he could join/carpool. They were talking about hitting some jump line that doesn't do much for me, so I figured I could go zap a bonus lap or two while they did that. And as it turned out, the first guy was late enough that I got a bonus lap in before he was 1/3 up the first climb. And then on the final lap the second guy would have tapped out if I didn't tow him up. Neither of them complained about it.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Hey, my wife and I only did 8200ft on Sunday. :p
Damn, that's a big day. How long did that take?

I've seen some of the local freaks do some 8-10k days once or twice a year, but it literally takes them all day. The most I've done are a few 3,900 days and they take me over 4 hours.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

I've seen some of the local freaks do some 8-10k days once or twice a year, but it literally takes them all day. The most I've done are a few 3,900 days and they take me over 4 hours.
note they did two pretty technical trail systems in it, too, linked by a hellish climb. which they like. 7h 38-44m depending on whether you trust his or the missus's tracker.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
At my local mtb area 4000ft would be a fairly standard ride elevation for most riders. To put that into perspective it's riding your multi thousand dollar bicycle you probably drove over an hourto ride for a whole 12-14miles.
Hardly a freakish achievement.
A BIG would be something requiring food and water or a lunch stop. The above doesn't require either.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
A BIG would be something requiring food and water or a lunch stop. The above doesn't require either.
But what about second breakfast?

I couldn't do 1500' here without water but I'm a sweaty human. Food isn't necessary but I like snacks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
At my local mtb area 4000ft would be a fairly standard ride elevation for most riders
Acoustic bike riders, to be clear? That's a big day for most people...

/me does 1700 on the e-bike and feels accomplished enough.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
1200m/4000' is 3-5 hour ride for me, depending on the amount of faffing. I think its all relative to the type of climbing and riding you're doing, whether it be single track or fireroad and whether its a winch-and-plummet or longer XC ride.

Thats a 520m ride or so yeah? That's about what I do a couple of times a week with the social crew. Bigger ride than that are sort of the rides I stick with the more dedicated riders that are into racing and actual training etc.

It's not a dick size competition on vert - 1000m ride in some places is waaaaaaaaay easier than others. We even have a running joke here that one trail centre equates to 1/3rd the distance of our other venues cos the climbing and trails are so easy.

I did 15km 500m rides that have left me absolutely shattered in the past. Depends on the terrain/elevation/temperature/blood alcohol level/etc.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
1200m/4000' is 3-5 hour ride for me, depending on the amount of faffing. I think its all relative to the type of climbing and riding you're doing, whether it be single track or fireroad and whether its a winch-and-plummet or longer XC ride.

Thats a 520m ride or so yeah? That's about what I do a couple of times a week with the social crew. Bigger ride than that are sort of the rides I stick with the more dedicated riders that are into racing and actual training etc.

It's not a dick size competition on vert - 1000m ride in some places is waaaaaaaaay easier than others. We even have a running joke here that one trail centre equates to 1/3rd the distance of our other venues cos the climbing and trails are so easy.

I did 15km 500m rides that have left me absolutely shattered in the past. Depends on the terrain/elevation/temperature/blood alcohol level/etc.
Yeah it's all relative. We have some "no flow" stuff here that just busts balls. You'll do 8-10km and feel like you just rode 30km.

Stuff like this, nonstop. Going up, going across flat shit, going down.

But I mean what gives with these peeps????

There's ALWAYS time for a mid ride beer break. No matter if you're riding 3km or 80km. :busted:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
That looks super fun. Particularly for an ebike. :banana:

Yeah numbers are helpful but don't tell the whole story off road. We have some trails we refer to as "dog miles" because every mile feels like 7.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
But what about second breakfast?
Rarely ever have breakfast at all. and if I do. It'll be at lunchtime. So I guess that could be considered second breakfast.

This was the first thing I ate today. At 10am after an hours commute in 5deg and rain/drizzle.

1698188435884.png

I usually just have a Monny. I'm caffeine addicted but can't stand the taste of coffee.

couldn't do 1500' here without water
yeah. Fair enough. I can get away with a big drink before I ride and big drink after the ride.
The temperature here and the fact I ALWAYS underdress for the weather conditions. Eg. Pretty much never wearing a jacket at all even in sub zero. But also the fact I don't ride wearing a helmet or gloves probably make a massive difference to how much less sweat I'll produce compared with what I would on rides in your temperatures.
I strap my helmet securely to my bars/stem whenever riding climbs and flat sections only putting it on for descents. Just the ones I deem it appropriate. Don't take one at all on XC or road rides.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That looks super fun. Particularly for an ebike. :banana:

Yeah numbers are helpful but don't tell the whole story off road. We have some trails we refer to as "dog miles" because every mile feels like 7.
Oh it's definitely fun. I have a few friends who hate that stuff and that place in particular; based on one experience from a decade ago.

Verging on thread derailment here, but yeah stuff like sucks if that's all you think about; busting balls. But I find it awesome, you can slow things down, take your time and break up the trail segments. See what you can clear and keep progressing. Sometimes it clicks and you can nodab climb some of that and have a cheer at the top.

Not everything has to be about climbing a thousand foot trail to do a half assed descent.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Yeah it's all relative. We have some "no flow" stuff here that just busts balls. You'll do 8-10km and feel like you just rode 30km.

There's ALWAYS time for a mid ride beer break. No matter if you're riding 3km or 80km. :busted:
That reminds me of riding the Bruce Trail near Wolseley bitd. Like 2 hours out on the trail and 15 minutes to loop back to the start on the concession road.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

note they did two pretty technical trail systems in it, too, linked by a hellish climb. which they like. 7h 38-44m depending on whether you trust his or the missus's tracker.
*4 trail systems, with 3 hellish climbs.
**no moped required :p

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

My normal summer rides are 3500-4200ft. Minimum cost of entry for most trails worth riding is an initial 1500ft investment. But that is all fire road or dedicated climb trails that you can just chill out on.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

i do stuff like this too, but only down, because real trails only know one direction and are in the mountains :happydance:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
At my local mtb area 4000ft would be a fairly standard ride elevation for most riders. To put that into perspective it's riding your multi thousand dollar bicycle you probably drove over an hourto ride for a whole 12-14miles.
Hardly a freakish achievement.
You got me. I'm a wimp. Most of the local riders I know are also wimps. We could all fit driving an hour plus each direction with 4+ hours of riding into our schedules regularly, but we lack the mental fortitude and fitness to do that. I definitely need to HTFU.

Joking aside, the guy I was specifically thinking of when I used the word "freaks" did a 50 mile / 10,000 ft day *single speed* the other weekend. The guy is not right in the head.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip> as soon as the last unfit guy reaches them when in reality it's the unfit guy who *needs* a rest most.
I feel attacked.

Ah yes the infamous Dick Stop. Wait till the fittest people are refreshed and then continue when the slow riders arrive so they don't get a break.
Best way for slow riders like me to get in shape, right?

sounds like someone needs a solarium!

That's a pretty nice derriere, if I'm honest.

You sound like a moany faced weirdo.
Do you get all het up and angry if a jogger dares to pass you while you're walking too?
I don't even get angry when a *walker* passes me when I'm riding. :homer:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Joking aside, the guy I was specifically thinking of when I used the word "freaks" did a 50 mile / 10,000 ft day *single speed* the other weekend. The guy is not right in the head.
Singlespeeders are usually working out some demons or something. They're all a bit weird, but you gotta admire the dedication/mental illness.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Sure, with a battery drop. Easy peasy. My buddy’s Giant can do 7K vert.
(And they make packs that carry extra batteries).
We did 5k vert in 3 hours last week on just a 720w battery.
And then you can go do it again the next day (and the next) with basically no fatigue.
If you only have three days somewhere on vacation, you can experience like 5 times the terrain, downhills, climbs, etc.
And, for a select few of you, YOU CAN EASILY DO IT HUNGOVER. :p
Or while drinking too, I guess….
Or with a 30bpm heart rate, and you won’t get heat/sunstroke…. :cheers:

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I wouldn't even contemplate attempting that ride on an Eeb.
As above. Unless you're a fairly fit rider weighing sub 40kg and do the whole ride in a low Eco mode (kinda pointless) and don't mind riding it switched off at times 2 batteries would be required.
But to me the idea of carrying a 3.5kg battery even for a short distance is horrendous. Nevermind 5 hours.
A ride of that sort of distance/elevation where you can drop back down to the car/van halfway through to swap batteries works well tho.

Rider weight and tyre rolling resistance makes a massive difference to battery range. As do conditions. Eg. You can expect to loose at least 1k of climbing range on steep terrain in wet conditions Vs dry fireroads.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I think that has been established, but the new Panasonic/Giant co-developed batteries are getting really really close, even at trail mode. (My riding buddy does E-MTB development for Giant). They pack in way more density than what you and I currently run. I give it five years until a ride like that is a single on-board battery affair.
That said, my bike with the 250 powerpak could *maybe* do it in eco.

Buddy had only used three bars out of five on that ride, and ALSO had an extended powerpak, which he never tapped into. And we were hauling ass.

Last edited: