Quantcast

Bottom bracket lenth

Gyro

Chimp
Mar 4, 2002
Slatyfork, WV
So, I'm buying a new crankset, and come to the conclusion that a 2003 LX set would fit my needs (and budget) perfectly.

The only problem is that I have no idea what length bottom bracket I need.

I seem to remember that the suggested length was dependent on the crank set, and is usually given by the manufacturer. However, I have been unable to find any such help on shimano's website (or elsewhere)

I have a 68mm bottom bracket shell, and this is for a 2000 giant SE2 frame, if that helps at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by Gyro
So, I'm buying a new crankset, and come to the conclusion that a 2003 LX set would fit my needs (and budget) perfectly.

I seem to remember that the suggested length was dependent on the crank set, and is usually given by the manufacturer. However, I have been unable to find any such help on shimano's website (or elsewhere)

I have a 68mm bottom bracket shell, and this is for a 2000 giant SE2 frame, if that helps at all.

i think indieboy knows a lot about bb's.

btw, can somebody explain that to me too?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
depends on your chain line which i'm not sure for that model frame. typically w/ a 2x9 you want to run a tighter chain line so you'll wnat to use a smaller axle lenght. check w/ a shop though they should be able to measure it out.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by Gyro

I'm not sure what lengths the LX BB is available in these days but shoot for something around 113mm. They messed with the crank insertion for the '03s which might make for some wierdness, but 113 was your safest bet when dealing with the '02s.....

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I think they come in two lengths. 113 and 118. It depends on seat tube diameter. If you have the largest of the 3 common sizes, too short a bb will not allow the front derailleur to move in enoght to shift without hitting the frame. My Superlight has a 31.8 seat tube, 68 mm shell and the 118 was mandatory. 113 would see the derailleur hit the frame and not shift.

Gyro

Chimp
Mar 4, 2002
Slatyfork, WV
Thanks a lot, everyone! I have a 27.2 seat post, so I think I will go with a 113mm length.

I can't believe I spelled "Length" wrong in the title. DOH!

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
If you have the old BB, you could measure the length. But make sure you measure the length of the new one as well because 113 isn't really 113 mm, more like +/- 2mm.

Otherwise, go with the seattube suggestion. Good luck!