Quantcast

Boxxer Keronite

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
updated coating and some internal tweaks.....all good stuff for sure. The only one that intrests me is the new air assembley, as far as decals under the clear that's not much different than bikes with it under the clear... mark it up and forget about replacing just a sticker to make it look new again. Im already. 10 lb lighter than stock with the Avy cart and craig shaved off a bit more as well on the new carts so even lighter and open bath....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
At some point, they should just focus on making the Boxxer Team bomb proof and fully functional and not change it. Then start making it cheaper and cheaper...until it becomes a bicycle suspension fork again.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Keronite is a PEO, plasma-based electrolytic oxidation. Basically a super high energy anodization that actually modifies the molecular structure of the oxide layers.It's the same stuff they use on fighter planes and in the aerospace industry

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
its a cool technology they are doing this with the revelation world cup which is a sick trail fork...i dont see why they dont just make all the high end forks this finish.

I want a Kashima Keronite Rock Shox 40

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
That's the big news? New pain is nice as my boxxer has a scuff or two but I expected more. Avy + solo air boxxer and I'm happy. Kashima is nice but is it really that much of a differance?

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
That's the big news? New pain is nice as my boxxer has a scuff or two but I expected more. Avy + solo air boxxer and I'm happy. Kashima is nice but is it really that much of a differance?
Everyone I know that has ridden it says yes, it makes a good difference

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Everyone I know that has ridden it says yes, it makes a good difference
They also put their damper upside down so you can't really say what makes the differance. The best way to compare would be an old fox vs an old fox with kashima.(same year)

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
At some point, they should just focus on making the Boxxer Team bomb proof and fully functional and not change it. Then start making it cheaper and cheaper...until it becomes a bicycle suspension fork again.
You have a 2010 team, right? The 2011 is massively better in terms of suspension performance...my 2010 was garbage but my 2011 is definitely a great fork out of the box. To be honest, it's the first boxer that I think is worthy...the chassis is pretty tough and light, no complaints.

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
They also put their damper upside down so you can't really say what makes the differance. The best way to compare would be an old fox vs an old fox with kashima.(same year)
How would inverting the damper have any effect on the stiction it has? It's still the same shaft sliding through the same orifice :D. Don't kid yourself, if someone went from a 2010 to a 2011 and feels a noticeable difference in friction, it's probably coming from the reduced friction coating.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
How would inverting the damper have any effect on the stiction it has? It's still the same shaft sliding through the same orifice :D. Don't kid yourself, if someone went from a 2010 to a 2011 and feels a noticeable difference in friction, it's probably coming from the reduced friction coating.
Because that change has at least as much of an effect as making the lowers 30g lighter.

Less unsprung weight = better feeling suspension.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
You have a 2010 team, right? The 2011 is massively better in terms of suspension performance...my 2010 was garbage but my 2011 is definitely a great fork out of the box. To be honest, it's the first boxer that I think is worthy...the chassis is pretty tough and light, no complaints.
the 2010 is garbage? care to elaborate? I know I like my 2010 alot, but I've heard lots of complaints of people having trouble tuning it on the compression side of things because the rebound has such a large effect on the compression. Did you have trouble getting it tuned to your liking because of how closely rebound and compression were linked, or is it something else that makes you think its garbage?

just curious.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I like the fact they mention Myles Rockwell....and that they actually admit their forks need reduced friction. Some say you can't feel it on the trail. Whatevs.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
the 2010 is garbage? care to elaborate? I know I like my 2010 alot, but I've heard lots of complaints of people having trouble tuning it on the compression side of things because the rebound has such a large effect on the compression. Did you have trouble getting it tuned to your liking because of how closely rebound and compression were linked, or is it something else that makes you think its garbage?

just curious.
What you mentioned was a big issue...I'm 185lbs and the medium spring was waaaayyy too heavy...for me to get any sort of compression damping to keep
the fork up in the stroke I would only get 5-5.5" of harsh travel because not only were compression and rebound NOT independant, neither were HSC/LSC....

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
What you mentioned was a big issue...I'm 185lbs and the medium spring was waaaayyy too heavy...for me to get any sort of compression damping to keep
the fork up in the stroke I would only get 5-5.5" of harsh travel because not only were compression and rebound NOT independant, neither were HSC/LSC....
gotcha. so you're one of many who couldn't find a happy medium where all of the adjustments were roughly where you wanted them.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Haven't even ridden it yet. It's Mulestar's 2010 Team. He said something to the effect that I might want to go with the light spring which I thought was odd given I weight the same as you. He said they warrantied it.

Maybe that was to fix what you're talking about?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Because that change has at least as much of an effect as making the lowers 30g lighter.

Less unsprung weight = better feeling suspension.
Sweet, so when 30 grams of knobs rip off of my tire my fork will feel better too!

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Haven't even ridden it yet. It's Mulestar's 2010 Team. He said something to the effect that I might want to go with the light spring which I thought was odd given I weight the same as you. He said they warrantied it.

Maybe that was to fix what you're talking about?
Yeah, a "buddy" sent mine in to a "buddy" at SRAM and they just mailed him(me) a whole new 2011 fork so I kind of scored, but I'm guessing you can just order a 2011 medium spring, and see if you can send in your damper and have it updated, or just buy whatever parts changed from '10 to '11 ....The difference is HUGE...trust me, it's worth it

Had I not lucked out, I probably would have freaked out and bought a different fork...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The inverted damper really makes no difference in terms of feel, it's mostly a durability upgrade (virtually unrestricted volume compensation = no more blown bladders). I doubt anyone can actually feel the small difference in unsprung weight.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
hahaha. So Fox comes out with Kashima coating on their uppers, which works better and looks better, Rockshox's response is to come out with Keronite coating... and put it on the LOWERS where it makes no difference whatsoever to performance.

It's like somebody pulling a gun on you, and your response is to throw your shoelaces in the bin. WTF kind of sense does that make?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
hahaha. So Fox comes out with Kashima coating on their uppers, which works better and looks better, Rockshox's response is to come out with Keronite coating... and put it on the LOWERS where it makes no difference whatsoever to performance.

It's like somebody pulling a gun on you, and your response is to throw your shoelaces in the bin. WTF kind of sense does that make?
Its not like the boxxer will loose that much % of their sales because of the Kashima in FOX ;) DH forks are sold mostly on marketing and SRAM is hard to beat at that game. They know that so they dont bother. Though its not like they didnt try with DLC for their team last year ;)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Won't they go that way this year also?
I think I saw a Carbon V10 of privat rider on black stanchions too...
Are you sure. DLC is not the most durable coating for alu stanctions. Team ones looked a bit worn. Though I have limited knowledge about that. Maybe Socket or Udi can elaborate.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
could the keronite be to stop punctures thru the lowers, or are they hinting they've run out of ideas, so they wanna keep your forks looking mint for the next x-years? :P

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
could the keronite be to stop punctures thru the lowers, or are they hinting they've run out of ideas, so they wanna keep your forks looking mint for the next x-years? :P
Was it really an issue? Boxxer lowers are not that thin. Ive seen a 07 zoke with a dual air spring and it wasnt far off boxxer weight.I doubt the differance in wall thickness is that big.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
they should just focus on making the Boxxer Team bomb proof and fully functional and not change it. Then start making it cheaper and cheaper...until it becomes a bicycle suspension fork again.
I've never priced an aftermarket motocross fork. How much do they cost?
Hang on a second, you live in america - the land of cheap bike parts, just got your hands on one of the pricier DH frames on the market (presumably bro dealed but still), and you're whinging about the cost of a boxxer TEAM?

Come on. You've probably got it better than the majority, be happy! :)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Hang on a second, you live in america - the land of cheap bike parts, just got your hands on one of the pricier DH frames on the market (presumably bro dealed but still), and you're whinging about the cost of a boxxer TEAM?

Come on. You've probably got it better than the majority, be happy! :)
It's not that. It's the industry's continual one upmanship. At a certain point, all 3 major brands have really developed dependable race level forks on a viable platform.

What I would expect is for those proven designs to then gradually reduce in cost to a more affordable price to bring in more riders. Then let the aftermarket develop more advanced internals for those who want a custom ride.

The Boxxer team has been in existence for something like more than a decade. It should go DOWN in price...not UP!