Quantcast

Boxxer RC vs R2C2

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
Ok..I searched the archives and couldn't really find what I was looking for.

It appears that the RC is actually lighter than the R2C2...guess that makes sense since the latter has more adjustments and...well, stuff on it. I'm assuming the '11 models were the same???

I'm just wondering if the extra adjustments are worth the extra coin/weight...Is one more dependable or lower maintenance? Seems like the more knobs there are to turn...the harder it is to get a fork dialed.

Then when you get it dialed...you gotta redial it for a different hill...too bad we all can't have a bike bultler like the WC rock stars do...:(

Thanks in advance for the info...

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
R2C2 damping is superior to the RC. Suffice to say when you start riding fast through rough terrain the RC will spike a lot leading to arm pump (for me) whereas the R2C2 will blow off on high speed hits. The faster and rougher the trails you ride the bigger the difference between them you will notice.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
The r2c2 is more then worth it. Particularly in the usable compression range, as well as never needing to compromise between "fast enough to not pack up/track well for small bumps" and "slow enough it doesn't pogostick on the bigger hits."

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
RC to save money, w/ avy cart?

I run the RC, w/ the largest shim removed. much improved. coupled that with running no oil seals, the fork is very plush (in comparison to stock). As Jimlad noted, the RC does spike, and is horrible through the rough chatter, but the above mods did wonders on damper.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
In my opinion the stock 2011 RC was surprisingly good. I upgraded to Avalanche cartridge, and haven't been able to ride much in normal conditions with the Avy, but brake bumps and rooty sections are the only place where I have felt much difference between the two. The stock RC doesn't spike in single big hits, but in repetitive bumps it is harsher.
No experience with the R2C2 though.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
I had two different RC's in 2010 and 2011. I'm about 200lbs geared up. I'm riding (short) lift access trails 3 days a week. I found that the fork had a tendency to dive at odd times. Not drastically but enough that I noticed. I also managed to crack the compression damper in half on both models (it developed white stress lines and then snapped). It was replaced promptly, but its an odd thing to have happen, specially 2 years in a row. I managed to get my hands on a rebound and compression damper from an R2C2 last season. The difference is not night and day, but I've had no maintenance issues and I appear to have been able to tune out the dive. There are some pretty good deals on R2C2's right now. I would suggest going that route.