Quantcast

Boxxer WC solo air issue

mfzbike

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Precious painville
Just got done rebuilding my boxxer....the usual oil change in the motion control along with new lube oil in the lowers...
put everything back together and it felt great with the initial push down on the handle bars, specifically a firm quick push....u know the usual parking lot push up and down test...anyways a few minutes later for some reason i decided to just push it down ever so slighty and slowly and i can bottom the thing out!!!! only when i just slowly gradually push it down, its freakin weird. i'm runiin around 110 115 psi....i know thats not the issue
just wondering if anyones had this problem before...i don't have one of those c clamp tools to take apart the cartrige to see if some of the o ring seals are bad.....just wonderin if thats even the problem...
anyways some insight would be great..
thanks

InsideMan

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
On an Island
Mine does the same to, i thought i just didnt have enough psi in it which i still think is the case sense i like to run mine a little low 100psi. Though it doesnt bottom out but seems to get real close, actually ive never bottom out the fork but seems to carry through all the travel quite easy.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah easy fix.

If you push down slowly and the fork slowly bottoms out it means that one of the solo air o-rings has died. I'd suggest pulling that leg apart, removing the solo air piston/rod assembly and all o-rings from it.

Take them into a hydraulic seal shop and get a couple of each o-ring, I paid less than $1 for enough to rebuild the cartridge 2-3 times.

The one i've pictured is the one that's most likely dead. Most people don't know how the solo air spring actually works, but in short it only allows the pressure to bleed between the pos/neg chamber at topout, and then seals them off from each other at 1mm travel or deeper. The o-ring i've pictured is the one that seals off the two chambers from each other, hence if you push slow you can get the positive air to all bleed into the negative chamber. Replace it carefully and she's as good as new.

Attachments