Quantcast

Boxxers - Black Stanchions

Ringer

Monkey
Mar 4, 2008
"never making it to production-the process is far too costly" --Per SRAMmie Jon Cancellier

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
there are a few moto tunning companies that will make it hapen for you for around 300 dolars :D

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
The black on the stanchions is called a DLC (Diamond like Carbon) coating. Its a Nano Polish that creates more hardness to the surface of the product, making it last a very long time. KMC Bicycle Chain applied this coating to our high end x10SL chain. MSRP is $130.00USD, just to give you an idea how much the stanchions would cost.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The black on the stanchions is called a DLC (Diamond like Carbon) coating. Its a Nano Polish that creates more hardness to the surface of the product, making it last a very long time. KMC Bicycle Chain applied this coating to our high end x10SL chain. MSRP is $130.00USD, just to give you an idea how much the stanchions would cost.
I'm guessing all black stanchions don't have this particular treatment... or this price is grossly inflated. I have a manitou minute w/ black stanchions... paid about $250 for the entire fork.

you can see them here:

They're still black too... about 5 years on.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Dump, nope.

DLC is applied via PVD or CVD (akin to TiN, TAiN, etc). While not exactly the same, it's pretty close and can be used as reference. This means it's a heck of a lot harder than your ano'd stantions, and smoother too. We've used it on cutting tools in the past and paid a batch min of $350.

Personaly, I'd pay an extra 200 per fork for it. It outlasted all the other PVD tools we had.

Last edited:

samIam

Chimp
Jun 23, 2011
I have looked into the DLC coating and the cheapest i could find was $400 for both stantcions and $200 for a shock shaft. Apparrantly the DLC is a common mod/upgrade in motorcycle racing.

Kashima is also available online and is not that much cheaper than the dlc process and somehow fox is able to offer Kashima standard and remain competitive in pricing....

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Kashima is also available online and is not that much cheaper than the dlc process and somehow fox is able to offer Kashima standard and remain competitive in pricing....
when every model in your lineup as the optional kashima, it brings prices down

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
more a question of people that will buy the WC boxxer without the coating,sram saves money on that coating on manu price of the orriginal product,IE more money in srams pocket.

Reason not done,if they do go black,IE cost up for them cost up for you,you will buy a 888ti or kashima 40 for less.

hense why its not done yet.
all about money.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
more a question of people that will buy the WC boxxer without the coating,sram saves money on that coating on manu price of the orriginal product,IE more money in srams pocket.

Reason not done,if they do go black,IE cost up for them cost up for you,you will buy a 888ti or kashima 40 for less.

hense why its not done yet.
all about money.
but yet they charge extra for their new fancy paint job right?

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
slippery silver FTW.

going on 6 years of abuse, 2 riders, 2 lowers, second damper cartridge. not a single speck of damage and still SLIPPERY AS SLICK HONEY

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
slippery silver was not as slippery as SRAM first thought, that is why it was offered on the 2005 Boxxer and nothing else. It also looked like shiz after a few weeks.

TiNi was cool but not durable at all.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Wasnt DLC good for steel but not that durable for alu? Team riders forks look very worn and Im sure they dont ride them for very long periods of time

btw. There was a french company that did some cool anodising. Dirt wrote about them on their site. You got completely new stanctions for ~400$