Quantcast

Boycott French goods

SandMan

Monkey
Sep 5, 2001
Montreal QC & Greenwich CT
I was in the US over the weekend, and I found it funny that alot of people are actually boycotting french products. There was a french restaurant, that was being boycotted, which I later found out was owned by an American.

My point is that the boycotts are not blown out of proportion, like I previously thought. Are you guys boycotting french goods? and if so are you guys not buying Mavic or Michelin?

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
What part of the U.S. did you visit? Hell i live in one of the most backwards states and i haven't heard anything about boycotting French goods or services. As far as i know, our local buisnesses have no say in what the French government decides to support. So why take money out of thier hands?

it goes to show how many literalist dumbasses there are. in todays market, the cororations are so trans national that it is rather hard to find just a French product or service and really what the blazes is not eating french fries going to do but hurt the potatoe farmer ....

if a statement is to be made , phucken do it at the voting booth and at the local education system process that teaches dumbasses that cause a word FRENCH is involved it has not a damn thing to do with anything other then a bloody name.

good bloody grief

SandMan

Monkey
Sep 5, 2001
Originally posted by Booker
What part of the U.S. did you visit? Hell i live in one of the most backwards states and i haven't heard anything about boycotting French goods or services. As far as i know, our local buisnesses have no say in what the French government decides to support. So why take money out of thier hands?
I was in Greenwich CT. No joke there was a French restaurant the people were boycotting. I figured the east coast of the US would less boycotting then "backwards states", as you call them.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Originally posted by SandMan
I was in Greenwich CT. No joke there was a French restaurant the people were boycotting. I figured the east coast of the US would less boycotting then "backwards states", as you call them.
That is the most F'in retarded thing i have heard all day. Why would someone boycott a local buisness over International disagreements. I hope that by boycott you mean a redneck with a paper sign was standing out front. I mean i have heard of the whole "Freedom fries" incident and i found that to be childish but this actuall boycott is a little over the top. Belive me when i say that that was (hopefully) a localized incident and not practiced all over the nation.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
March 21, 2003 - Two leading potato-producing states have not ruled out a name change for their french fries in light of recent negative news. But, industry groups are not rushing to support any changes.

The Potato Growers of Idaho (PGI) reportedly wants to refer to one of their signature products as American Fries. And the No. 1 producer of frozen fries in the nation, Washington state, has not ruled out a name change, if it will boost sales considerably.
Both groups were approached for comments when the U.S. House of Representatives cafeterias were told to drop french fries and french toast from their menus and replace them with "Freedom Fries" and "Freedom Toast."

This breaking news from www.spudman.com

SandMan

Monkey
Sep 5, 2001
Originally posted by Booker
That is the most F'in retarded thing i have heard all day. Why would someone boycott a local buisness over International disagreements. I hope that by boycott you mean a redneck with a paper sign was standing out front. I mean i have heard of the whole "Freedom fries" incident and i found that to be childish but this actuall boycott is a little over the top. Belive me when i say that that was (hopefully) a localized incident and not practiced all over the nation.
I spoke to a couple of locals, and they confirmed that a majority of the residents are avoiding this restaurant, and it did look pretty empty compared to other places. To be honest I also hope it's a local thing, it's pretty stupid IMO. What people don't realize, it's not only the owners, think of all the employees that either lose there jobs or get less hours the end result is less $$$.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
the stupidity of the masses never ceases to amaze me :(

Spud posted a link called spudman.com? Conspiracy? :D

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Originally posted by LordOpie
the stupidity of the masses never ceases to amaze me :(

Agreed. Seems like the people around me are content in being fat, lazy, ignorant slobs. Any one who put ANY thought into the situation would quickly find that boycotting local buisnesses only hurts the LOCAL economy. Idiots!:angry: It is not like the owner of the resurant travels back to France after every paycheck and parades down the street handing out Americain dollars to all he sees.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
I would also like to add, that if any restaurants should be boycotted please start with McDonalds and the like. Fast food joints are the ones really harming America. I mean after all they are the largest seller of "French Fries".:devil:

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by Spud
And the No. 1 producer of frozen fries in the nation, Washington state, has not ruled out a name change, if it will boost sales considerably.
"if it will boost sales considerably"

Ah, the power of greed.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Right about now Rhone Poulenc (french company) marketing folks are looking for an edge. The footage from the site where US troops supposedly found chemical weapons had a ton of 55s with Rhone all over them.

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Originally posted by DRB
Right about now Rhone Poulenc (french company) marketing folks are looking for an edge. The footage from the site where US troops supposedly found chemical weapons had a ton of 55s with Rhone all over them.
Now there's a company we should boycott.

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
This whole boycott BS is so incredible childish and an example of the ignorance that seems to be running rampant in our government and citizens during this crazy time. Not only are we (the US) showing just how friggin' arrogant we can be....but also stupid....neither of those products (fries or toast) even came from France...and yeah, support your local businesses! Whether they selling French goods or not, they're providing the local community with money.

As for the personal interests France and Russia may have in Iraq, I think it's courageous that they stand up to the Bush administration when most of the rest of the world is just ignoring the problems and letting us stomp over everybody. By the way, does anyone happen to know who put Saddam in power in the first place (to fight the Iranians)??? Oh yeah, hand one over to the US of A!! We create so many of our own problems....give mad man guns & money years ago so he can fight a war, lose, just so we can use our own money and guns to fight him a lil' down the road (TWICE!!!). Hehe...same goes with Osama (gave me him training, money & guns to fight the Russians during the Afghani War). Not the brightest bulbs reside in the white house.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by BarbaRosa
translate please.... what , are you saying russia and france did not want to go to war... becuase we might find french and russian stuff all over the place that is in violation to NATO stuff?
What in the devil are you asking?

My point was that Rhone Poulenc is probably wishing that those drums had not been on TV during a segment on possible Iraqi chemical weapons. Rhone Poulenc is a French company so it seemed relevant to this thread.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
guess everyone in the cycling industry boycotting french made products is gonna have to give up their mavic rims and hutchinson tires their look and time pedals.......:rolleyes:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i'm not boycotting french stuff, i have enough american companies on my boycott list, i dont feel like adding anything else. i REFUSE to call french fries freedom fries.

where i am from, more people aer boycotting the dixie chicks than french made items however their are still a lot of people "boycotting" french stuff.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
i like to make my french toast w/ yolks only...and white bread.
I'm supposed to watch my cholesterol. I cut out eggs, shrimp and turkey.

I eat the occasional chicken but mostly I stick to lean beef. Some milk. (I ain't givin up cereal dammit)

I blame the French.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Why's your cholesteral so high? You appear to be in allright shape.
Doc says it may be hereditary, or ? I'm in ok shape but I definitely don't get as much bike time in these days.

I need to go in for a checkup, it's been over 8 months of a modified diet so it should be much lower.

BTW - thread officially necromanced AND derailed.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
We make ours with eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. And just about any bread that's around. Thick slices of French bread are especially good.

And yes, we often have fake syrup on it. :disgust1:
well when i said 'yolks only', i meant of the egg...no whites. yeah, i add in some milk, some vanilla extract, and a smidgen of fresh grated cinnamon and nutmeg.

and real maple syrup. using corn syrup is just retarded.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I'm torn. Instead of the real stuff for a change I bought some Aunt Jemima. It seemed a whole lot less sweet and it's a hell of a lot less watery.
Jesus christ. Why didn't you just take a big fat dump on your toast?