Quantcast

Brake and derailer cables rusting?

Blueadder

Chimp
Jul 19, 2004
Lafayette, Louisiana
I've had my Trek 4300 for about 5 months now and it seems like the cable are starting to rust. The silver cables have dark redish brown spots on them.

Now I'm always careful about not letting my bike sit out in the rain and what not. I'm just curious if this can cause a problem in the near future.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
hmm maybe, but y'know i really wouldn't overworry about it. i've got to replace my cables every year because i ride in all weather conditions, so it may expadite a tune up but unless your shifting/braking is really being adversely affected ride it til it breaks. :)
But i do recommend keeping a bike indoors.... i'm sure if you ran a poll here 99% of people who post here do....

dhrider

Chimp
Nov 5, 2003
culpeper,VA
dude honestly to keep your bike running awesome, i'd try to get your cables replaced ever 6 months, if u are riding it hard all the time. i mean its only 20 bucks for both brake lines and both derailers if u have 2 or just one. deffin. something to invest in.

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
I was at pedros in MA 2 weekends ago. Some dude is now selling a "bike bag", seems pretty nice and decent quality don't remember his site though.

As for your cables you might want to check out www.drycables.com I don't know what his normal prices are but I paid 26 bucks for my brake lines. What makes his cables different is a teflon sheathing between the housing and the cable. This could possibly solve your rusting problem and keep gunk out of your cables.