Quantcast

brake levers

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
when i setup my levers i put the front brake on the right and back on the left.

is this right or does it even matter.

thanks
Most brakes it doesn't matter. I have heard that certain hydraulic brakes can have issues if oriented in the manner you described (which will put the levers upside down). But the hydraulic hoses can be switched so the levers are still right side up.

Most people I have known to do this come from moto backgrounds, and they have it set up this way for consistency.

novatrek

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
inwood west virginia
well when i set them up i was thinking since my motorcycle front brake is on the right it just felt better and thats how i left them.....than i was watching a video on how to set avid disc and they where whiched.

Like JonKranked said........It's Moto "style" If you like and it fits you........leave it alone and be happy. Most peeps who run it that way do so because they ride MX or ride a Motorcycle everyday........makes for less oops in the switch over.

Have fun and don't overthink it!!

FBinNY

Chimp
Jul 15, 2009
There's no one answer. When I started riding 40+ years ago, I set up my bike with the front brake lever in my left hand because it was my stronger hand, and I felt this gave me better proportioning of brake forces. Right hand for control, left for strength in hard stops.

Back then I was a maverick, since most bikes were set up opposite (right=front, as on motorcycles. Nowadays I'm in the mainstream, but unless you share your bike with others regularly, you shouldn't feel obligated to conform to any "standard". Set ip the bike whichever way works best for you.