Quantcast

Brake pad brand and use

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
re: modulation

I'll still never understand the "mah brakys so strong I can't keep from lockin em up!!"

The punchiest brakes I've ever used are always the easiest to drag because it doesn't take any effort. I think people that learn to ride scary things in snot mud and dust land just learn how to brake. That's what I'm going with.
When I first got on Saints I had a couple of moments of accidentally locking the wheels when I didn't want to when I was in really rough terrain. Took awhile to get used to. I remember when Santa Cruz went from SRAM to Shimano brakes, Peaty got his Saint pads slotted to make them less 'bitey' and to provide more modulation but he's probably just never learnt how to kidwoo-approved brake.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Wait, are Shimanos finally fixed or does he just have a new set of brakes that haven't made it to the wandering bite point phase of wear?
Why would they want to eliminate such a well-received "feature"? I mean, who wants brakes that work all time when properly bled? Booorrring.

So the Zees are parking lot champs now residing on his hardtail. To my knowledge they haven't ever addressed they "wheel of misfortune" bite point issue.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
When I first got on Saints I had a couple of moments of accidentally locking the wheels when I didn't want to when I was in really rough terrain. Took awhile to get used to. I remember when Santa Cruz went from SRAM to Shimano brakes, Peaty got his Saint pads slotted to make them less 'bitey' and to provide more modulation but he's probably just never learnt how to kidwoo-approved brake.
To be fair, Peat couldn't handle the gnar that is Northstar dust, nor does he know he anything about riding in slippery, wet conditions being in the UK and all. Just throw some 400mm rotors on there with some 6 pot Brembos and you'll never lock'em up again!

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've said it a hundred times, but can you imagine any other vehicle being provided with brakes with a variable bite point? Like a motorbike or car. It'd be a class action for sure.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
As @jackalope said, I do have one special set of Zees that have been stone cold reliable for quite a long time albeit on a bike that doesn't see thousands of miles of riding a year. Had another set on my DH bike that were strong as hell and trouble free for 3 seasons before getting weird as far as bite point (at Whistler no less!). Now have 3 sets of TRPs (2 quadiem and 1 DH-R (not evo)). All running shimano metal pads now and they are fantastic. I was OK with the stock organics but they were not as strong as I wanted in absolute terms so when they wore out I went to metal. I am definitely curious about the DH-R Evos...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
bUt pRo gUy sAiD sTufF!!!!!!!!!!

Hacks.

The lot of ya

I'd ask what he was doing with those same saints a year later but I don't give a fuck. Because I ride bikes and know how they work :D

I'll say it again
When I felt my first pair of V-brakes in like 1995 my response was "too strong, gonna flip"
You're a smart monkey, you can learn motor memory.

Now.......if greg minnaar said something that's different.

He's dreamy :cupidarrow:

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
are you using the stock pads? are they any good?
My first set came on a used bike. It had one set of stock pads, one set metallic. The difference was obvious and the metallic pad was superior in every way, so I put metallic in both ends. I liked them so much I got another set of TRPs when I built up my hardtail and ordered metallic pads to go with them. I rode it for 6 months before realizing I never installed the metallic pads. At this point I will just wait until they need replacing. So I would say they aren't necessarily bad, but the metallic pads are a lot better. But this princess can't feel the pea so YMMV.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Bull
Don't bother with formula cura 4

They ain't the ones
Longer throw
Flimsier levers
You can watch the caliper flex (two piece bolted togeathre)
Terrible pad retraction.
And a total twat to bleed on the bike.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
I like EBC HH. The Reds burn out too fast.

Shimano metal when I used Shimano brakes.
I bought 2 pairs of the EBC HH for my codes based on your recommendation in another thread. About $15/pair from Amazon. The pads will get here in a few months after getting bounced around in a balikbayan box between chocolate candy and spam probably. I hope they're good or else it's your fault! :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so i'm getting my DH bike running for the summer, and it has Saint M800 brakes (first gen, the version that was reliable). truckstuff still has pads for them, but only in the ECO compound. worth it at ~$8 a set? or look elsewhere? just for the local bike park which isn't very steep, and no racing.
bump... ECO pads from TS any good or look elsewhere? bueller?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Another Clyde monkey.
Dominion A4's for two years and am quite pleased.

I also have the Trickstuff powerpads on my Hope Tech3V4's and would bang again.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
bump... ECO pads from TS any good or look elsewhere? bueller?
From everything I've read review etc...trick stuff seems to be legit....I trying to see about the 630 powers to give a try....not 100% of every pad even from a quality source will be full proof thats why there's warranty issues...but they seem to have a real following and not any real bad reviews...some I think were expecting more than delivered on power + but then everyone's expectations are different and some are way too high...

My ebc reds will be here sat and galfer greens i pick up tomorrow...the other one Jon that ill order is the trickstuff....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
From everything I've read review etc...trick stuff seems to be legit....I trying to see about the 630 powers to give a try....not 100% of every pad even from a quality source will be full proof thats why there's warranty issues...but they seem to have a real following and not any real bad reviews...some I think were expecting more than delivered on power + but then everyone's expectations are different and some are way too high...

My ebc reds will be here sat and galfer greens i pick up tomorrow...the other one Jon that ill order is the trickstuff....
their stuff is def legit, i was just curious if anyone had used the ECO compound/pads specifically. due to the age of my brakes that's the only option they offer.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
their stuff is def legit, i was just curious if anyone had used the ECO compound/pads specifically. due to the age of my brakes that's the only option they offer.
Yeah I wanted + but mine are older as well...I'd give em my money on whatever they offer myself...they are cheap too...I was surprised...

If you do let me know id be curious to hear life, bite and fade...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah I wanted + but mine are older as well...I'd give em my money on whatever they offer myself...they are cheap too...I was surprised...

If you do let me know id be curious to hear life, bite and fade...
yea, given their reputation i figure at ~$8 a set it wouldn't hurt to try

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Damn, I threw away a bunch of old brake pads for those things when I purged my life of shimano brakes a few years ago..... Some new ones I mean.
I think I have one unused set still. Just looking for more. These brakes have never had an issue. What happened shimano?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Can only talk about Power+ and Standard. Power+ really is the shit regarding power, but they wear fast. I'm running Standard ones in my DRTs at the rear now and the difference is noticeable, not in outright power but initial bite. But they last a whole lot longer for me and my massive 67 kg of body weight.