Quantcast

Brake Pads

Kalbi777

Chimp
Nov 3, 2014
Hi guys,

i was wondering if there was some brake pads that offers more brake power then other ones.

What kind of brake pads are you using and what are your thoughts about them.

Btw anyone using brake pads that are coming out of the brake caliper (for better cooling) do you notice any improvements ?

Greets

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Metal pads typically offer more bite / braking power, assuming your brakes are in good working order.

Shimano xt and saint brakes, metal pads. Love them and can't see ever changing.

Both of these use 'finned' pads for cooling. I can't see I've ever noticed any difference.
What brakes are YOU running?

Kalbi777

Chimp
Nov 3, 2014
Metal pads typically offer more bite / braking power, assuming your brakes are in good working order.

Shimano xt and saint brakes, metal pads. Love them and can't see ever changing.

Both of these use 'finned' pads for cooling. I can't see I've ever noticed any difference.
What brakes are YOU running?
I'm currently running Zee's.
But I have no idea about the Pads. I didn't think about the fact that there are different friction pads till today (I feel pretty dumb right now)

Do you think it's useful running less efficient pads for practice and the more aggressive ones for racing ?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Do you think it's useful running less efficient pads for practice and the more aggressive ones for racing ?
That's up to you. Are you need less brake for practice? ;)
Pull the pads in your Zees and see what they are (they should be marked) and if those work well enough, stick with them. Metal pads wear faster, so the cost might come into play for you too.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I'm on Zees as well and if you are after maximum bite you cannot beat the metal pads. If you want some more and modulation and less wear, the organic ones are pretty good too.
They also behave differently depending on the temperature, I found the organic ones to be pretty useless in the winter but surprisingly good during a very hot summer.

Kalbi777

Chimp
Nov 3, 2014
That's up to you. Are you need less brake for practice? ;)
Not really less brake but some that lasts a little longer :)
Like tires, (harder rubber or used tire for training and better tires with softer compound for racing) but I guess it wouldn't make that much difference.

Thanks to all for the answers.

Do that extra loop really help cooling ? can't believe in it :)

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I run the same brake pads, until they wear out and then replace them, I don't switch for practice vs race vs fun runs.....

discobrakes.com has always worked well for me, they offer metallic, organic, and kevlar in most brands. I've not noticed a difference between those with the cooling fins and those with out.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Old time trick - depending upon what and where you ride....
Run organic on one side and metallic on the other.
Better modulation than pure metal.
Better bite and power than full organic.
...and not as noisy as pure metal when wet.

Just remember they wear at different rates and need to be checked a bit more often.

I have done this on occasion in the past, and currently have my dh bike set up this way.
Magura Louise BAT on teh trail bike - Magura pads
Avid XO Trail on teh DH bike with Avid pads for reference.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
full metal stock pads on shimano brakes...generally noiseless with plenty of bite and life.

I always thought organic pads offered better bite with less overall power (fade resistance) and lower durability. That's why they're usually found on commuter bikes and stuff. Metals pads for the big boys with big heat and big demands.