Quantcast

Brake piston maintenance

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Do any of you apply any sort of lube/cleaner to the pistons annually? Watching Hope's video last year, iirc they applied something to the pistons with a brush. Is this stuff worth it? Does it lube the pistons or help refresh the seals? Thanks

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Do any of you apply any sort of lube/cleaner to the pistons annually? Watching Hope's video last year, iirc they applied something to the pistons with a brush. Is this stuff worth it? Does it lube the pistons or help refresh the seals? Thanks
Probably Black Pudding

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Probably Black Pudding
FFS man. It's GRAVY oop North (which is actually South of the Island if anyone English had ever bothered to look at a fucking Map)

Bloody 'mericans and their grasp of British culture

:Alcoholic:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
For mineral oil brakes, use a drop of the mineral oil. I have no answer for DOT brakes.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Does anyone actually do this? I've always just wiped out all the gunk from the pistons and seal with a q-tip. Having a tiny bit of oil out the outer surface of the seal might attract dirt and keep it there...making it worse than if you had just left it?

From what I read, Shimano brakes should be self-lubing. :busted:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Does anyone actually do this? I've always just wiped out all the gunk from the pistons and seal with a q-tip. Having a tiny bit of oil out the outer surface of the seal might attract dirt and keep it there...making it worse than if you had just left it?

From what I read, Shimano brakes should be self-lubing. :busted:
Yeah, they are self lubing indeed until one of them gets stuck and the other one self-lubes a bit more. :think:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The correct answer for DOT brakes is to use a PFPAE (perfluoropolyalkylether) grease.

Both Finish Line and Dupont make a suitable product. These are quite special lubricants (pure fluorine base) and are designed for very long service life, i.e. after you do it once they should stay good for a long time. It would be good to use when changing brake seals.

It's not a bad idea to do occasionally, provided you wash off the excess after application and piston cycling (probably with water and some light detergent) to avoid dirt buildup and contamination. I would perform the washing step once again after the first ride (pads out + caliper away from rotor obviously).

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
My guides had to be lubed from new. Sticky as hell. Almost like the seals were not lubed from the factory. I have used a little triflow and it seemed to free them up.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
The correct answer for DOT brakes is to use a PFPAE (perfluoropolyalkylether) grease.

Both Finish Line and Dupont make a suitable product. These are quite special lubricants (pure fluorine base) and are designed for very long service life, i.e. after you do it once they should stay good for a long time. It would be good to use when changing brake seals.

It's not a bad idea to do occasionally, provided you wash off the excess after application and piston cycling (probably with water and some light detergent) to avoid dirt buildup and contamination. I would perform the washing step once again after the first ride (pads out + caliper away from rotor obviously).
Do you know if RS dynamic seal grease https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/rockshox-grease will work in place of PFPAE grease?
Or Avid DOT grease might be more appropriate? https://www.sram.com/avid/products/dot-assembly-grease-brake-fluid
This 2 are more easy to buy locally than the one from Finish Line...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Do you know if RS dynamic seal grease https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/rockshox-grease will work in place of PFPAE grease?
Or Avid DOT grease might be more appropriate? https://www.sram.com/avid/products/dot-assembly-grease-brake-fluid
This 2 are more easy to buy locally than the one from Finish Line...
Of those two I'd use the DOT grease (the PTFE grease is for NBR seals and may have other contents harmful to EPDM). A grease without the contents disclosed is a questionable grease in my book. The PFPAE is expensive for a reason, it's the best product for the application.

However the distinction will be in the longevity of the lubrication, PFPAE is designed to lubricate a long time. The Avid DOT grease could be anything but at the least you know it's safe to use - worst case it'll just need reapplication sooner.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Of those two I'd use the DOT grease (the PTFE grease is for NBR seals and may have other contents harmful to EPDM). A grease without the contents disclosed is a questionable grease in my book. The PFPAE is expensive for a reason, it's the best product for the application.

However the distinction will be in the longevity of the lubrication, PFPAE is designed to lubricate a long time. The Avid DOT grease could be anything but at the least you know it's safe to use - worst case it'll just need reapplication sooner.
Ok thanks!
The PFPAE grease seems to be only available in the UK but cannot be shipped to Sweden and the German shops carrying Finish Line don't have it listed...