Quantcast

Brake Therapy

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
'02 Azonic Eliminator

First let me apologize in advance....
but 295.00 for brake therapy seems excessively high priced for something so simple and seems outrageous to me.
As a Degree'd Engineer, If I had a Milling machine, I would just build one for myself and then reproduce them to fit other bikes and sell them for half that.
The Material to build one costs no more than 20.00
Doesnt this seem like Highway Robbery to anyone else?

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
bpatterson6 said:
'02 Azonic Eliminator

First let me apologize in advance....
but 295.00 for brake therapy seems excessively high priced for something so simple and seems outrageous to me.
As a Degree'd Engineer, If I had a Milling machine, I would just build one for myself and then reproduce them to fit other bikes and sell them for half that.
The Material to build one costs no more than 20.00
Doesnt this seem like Highway Robbery to anyone else?
Billy, $300 bucks may seem like a lot, but, as a machinist with 25 years of experience who has looked at making a floating brake for himself, here's what I've found:
You have to machine some parts for the hub. Mabey your hub is easy to retrofit, mabey it isn't. It will take several parts for the hub alone. A good setup will involve sealed bearings. Then you have to make the caliper mount, which is not going to be the same for every bike, more like different for every bike. Then the proper rod, and rod end bearings, then the anchor point for the frame end differs for everybike. If it's a seatpost anchor, you need to make a clamp that will clear the swingarm, front deraillier, etc.
I have a lot of experience making little one-off odds and ends for myself over my carreer that you start out thinking, "oh, this should be simple, and only take an hour to make". I have proved myself wrong 75% of the time.

It is not a $20 job. Good luck.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
yep, good luck. you should know that looking at any finished, production piece looks simple. it has gone through its refinement process.

What you dont see is all the trial-&-error, overhead, time and materials that it took him to make all those pieces for all those different bikes.

He had no one to "copy" as you are proposing to do. And I'm quite sure you would not sell for half the market value if you bought the farm and mortgaged a CNC mill.

considering how niche' his business is (aftermarket brake system for high end full suspension bikes with Disc brakes) why dont you support the guy and use your machinist skills to do some good of your own instead of steeling and cutting the market.

Brian is a hella good guy (service) and his stuff fits and works. You're not brining anything new to the table.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
You guys may be right...
And I know Brian's stuff is great stuff.
I guess my problem is...I'm just a penny pincher.
I guess I will just Bite the Bullet and and pay the price.
I'm sure it is worth every penny. :D
:)

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Billy, I'm gonna go out on a limb here an offer you a suggestion. I get the sense from talking to you and from your posts that you're not totally satisfied with the frame that you're currently riding. I know you've recently sent your shock out to be pushed, and you spent the extra $$$ to get a titanium spring, and you've talked about getting titanium internals for your fork.... all these and the brake therapy "upgrade" cost cash too. What I am going to suggest is why not save your pennies till the add up to $$$ and invest in a frame that has all you want in it?

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Well,
I have a "NEW" Frame in Mind.
But, unfortunately the wife wont let me spend the $$$$.$$ right now.
Here is the Frame I want. It will be mine. :sneaky: Oh yes it will be mine. :evil:
http://www.foesracing.com/products/index.cfm?product=mono
Problem is, that I'm at least 2 more season's out from getting it.
So until then, the Azonic Eliminator will have to do. and I will spend a little bit of cash to get it to perform as best as it can for now. Although, I'm, sure the bike isn't totally at fault. I'm sure a better rider could ride it better. All I can do is practice and try to get better.
LOL

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Mono = drool. my buddy has one and it is soo soo sweet. His mono has race oriented parts on it and it still weighs 49 pounds (888, Ti6 brakes, Ti spring, curnutt, ETC) . It is not light but that tells me that you have a frame, that yes is mono, but it is strong and will take the abuse.

joel