Quantcast

Brewery Pr0n

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Yeah, don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard that before. I wonder if it's a lager strain that they ferment warm for their ales, or vice versa. I've also heard that they only brew one beer. They just treat it differently to get their different products.
Can you explain further? I would think that even if you used a lager yeast at ale temps, you would still have a lager (or technically a "steam" beer).

What I'm curious about is the statement of "they just treat it differently". Are you talking about POST fermentation? How would they treat it to get a porter out of a lager? I assume that they can only go darker with a beer, not lighter, so the Lager is maybe the base?

Well if they are only producing "Ales" it is quite possible that they are using only one yeast.
They aren't... Their main brew is a lager, but they also have an "ale" and a porter.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Can you explain further? I would think that even if you used a lager yeast at ale temps, you would still have a lager (or technically a "steam" beer).

What I'm curious about is the statement of "they just treat it differently". Are you talking about POST fermentation? How would they treat it to get a porter out of a lager? I assume that they can only go darker with a beer, not lighter, so the Lager is maybe the base?
A lager yeast fermented warmer would produce ale-like esters and phenols. Likewise, an ale yeast fermented cooler would ferment cleaner, but slower.

I think their "Premium" is the base. This is all second-hand, but word is they brew one wort and it gets various malt-based color and flavor additives to create the other beers. They're also diluting with an addition of de-aerated water to create their light beer, which is what a lot of larger breweries do. Again, second had info, but from someone I consider a reliable source.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
A lager yeast fermented warmer would produce ale-like esters and phenols. Likewise, an ale yeast fermented cooler would ferment cleaner, but slower.

I think their "Premium" is the base. This is all second-hand, but word is they brew one wort and it gets various malt-based color and flavor additives to create the other beers. They're also diluting with an addition of de-aerated water to create their light beer, which is what a lot of larger breweries do. Again, second had info, but from someone I consider a reliable source.
Interesting!!
I some times dilute my wort with RODI water (Reverse Ozmosis De-Ionized) if I have over shot my intended OG. Im talking about going from 1.075 to 1.065 though, so certainly not a "light" beer. Well, light for me though. ;)

I'm considering doing a Steam beer this winter.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Thats awesome! I am sure you will find our product superior to the 'competition.'

The new brewery looks great and if you ever make it out West come to Yakima and then we can go for a ride. After a hop tour of course.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Thats awesome! I am sure you will find our product superior to the 'competition.'

The new brewery looks great and if you ever make it out West come to Yakima and then we can go for a ride. After a hop tour of course.
Yakima..... So f*cking hard to get hold of down here. :rant:

A local mate did a series of brews last year, identical smash's except for the hops..... Yakima was my fave followed by the Motueka. :thumb:
Love to have a play with that hop myself someday.

*edit* actually no.... the 2nd place was a tie Motueka and Citra equal.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Damn, we're getting close. Did a couple shake-down brews last week which revealed some bugs in the system, but we're getting everything dialed in. Opening is only a couple of weeks away.

Tasting room. 70' hickory-topped bar being constructed in front of the brewhouse.

Mill room. Three 50,000 lb silos in the background on the right. 6,000 lb "supersacks" in the foreground. In the past we had to load everything by hand, one 50 lb bag at a time

The brewhouse. Mash, lauter, collection, kettle. The workstation on the right will disappear once everything is dialed-in.

Hop drops. Our new kettle boils under pressure so we can't just open the door to throw the hops in like we do now. These get loaded with hops before the boil. During the boil they get flooded with wort washing the hops in to the kettle.

View of the tasting room from the brew-deck. Still a lot of work to do.

Six new tanks in place. 9300 gallons each

craftbrewed

Chimp
Oct 13, 2009
Chambersburg, PA
Not sure why I haven't seen this thread before. The new facility looks great. Can't wait to come up for a tour. I may be a bit partial as Pennsylvanian but your beers are the best. Hoping to see your beers in more places.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
definitely on my to-do list when i'm in that part of the state.