Quantcast

Broadband 50x faster?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I'll be interested to see how this works (if its not just vaporware), certainly sounds like a dream come true to anyone suffering the joke called broadband in NZ.

device to make broadband 50X faster

A small Palmerston North company has created a device that will make broadband internet more than 50 times faster without having to pay hundreds of dollars installing fibre-optic cables.

The system looks like a modem, and connects with homes' existing wiring to boost broadband speeds without having to pay the $800-plus fee for re-wiring a home with fibre-optic cables to get such fast internet.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
$800? Are they taking the piss? Cost me exactly $0 to have my house connected (not re-wired).
yeah, wherever "Fios" is offered, they come and install the fiber optic system for free, but not run the fiber throughout the house....which isnt needed obviously

your internet will only be as fast as the ISP provides anyway

Last edited:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Thanks to Telecom NZ being flogged off the Bell atlantic dirt cheap back around 1993, in rural areas just connecting an ordinary phoneline costs $500 minimum.
Having an almost complete monopoly means they charge what ever price they want. :(
Hell they even make your Telstra look good VB!!

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
It's gotta be an inline box that supports compression, like old phone modems. It probably connects to a proxy server, that does the encoding on their end.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Most publications publish correction notes but its usually just not on the front page...

Yes BUT it is also quite normal these days for one to have to force the issue to get a correction or retraction printed...... Speaking from personal experience as both a complainer and as an ex publication manager for Fairfax (owners of the above website).