Quantcast

Broken my Avy DHF8s

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
Much to my supprise i discovered a small hairline crack in the upper , just below the lower crown.

I've yet to speak to avalanche since i only discovered the problem a matter of hours ago.

But im curious , a common problem or do mine have a deffect or am i just unlucky?

Oh they're about 8months old and i do use a torque wrench to do them up.

cheers.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by 360
er no , why?
You implied that you had two of them.

You can probably just take the crown off of the good one, and use it on the broken one. When you have forks, you can do this. :D

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
damn, that sucks:( .
seen you at dunkeld today, you looked like you tanking it fairly fast, how did you get on?
doubt you would have seen me but i was hanging out with the vibe lot.

p.s sorry abot going off topic.

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
Originally posted by Jm_
You implied that you had two of them.

You can probably just take the crown off of the good one, and use it on the broken one. When you have forks, you can do this. :D
The crack is in the upper tube, not the crown.

.....:D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by KleinMp99
The crack is in the upper tube, not the crown.

.....:D
ahh...thats even better cause he's got 4 of em!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by KleinMp99
There are 2 tubes and 2 crowns per fork so how is it better?:confused: :D
cause if you have 2 forks, you got 4 tubes.

On the other hand, if you read the original post, it says that he broke both of his DH8s, but he may be able to piece together a fully functioning one.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Once again, it's a spelling/grammar issue here...one Avy DHF8, two Avy DHF8s. However, as it's pretty standard in commonwealth English speaking countries to say "forks" instead of "fork," as illogical as it seems and unnatural as it is to us in America, correcting it or calling it out is as useless as someone telling me I spell color and honor incorrectly.

Sorry to hear about your fork, man; hope Avalanche takes care of you.

MD

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
errr ok.... :)

to reply to that thread, a friend of mine bent the upper tubes of his DHF8 (the bent tubes were taken care of by craigs great customer service and warranty)
my DHF8 is still goin strong after two years, i am not sure but it might be bent somewhere, it will go back to avy for a big overhaul pretty soon.
but no cracks or anything like that

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
you damn yanks you think your so smart with your "grammar";)

seen you at dunkeld today, you looked like you tanking it fairly fast, how did you get on?
i had a crappy top half , bottom was ok , as per usuall flying in practise but couldn't do it in the race

2:52 with 2 big crashes so nothing great :(

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
It has bugged me for a long time and only did i recently read in LITTER an article about the same thing which confirms how i feel. Others are suffering this too. people online everywhere place an S behind the brand name of their fork. Durados, shivers, 888s, monsters and now it is DHF8s. its just f'n retarded and i have to laugh every time i read it.

on topic, i'm sure craig will take care of you on your DHF8's cracked stanchion.

jh

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Originally posted by joel hester
It has bugged me for a long time and only did i recently read in LITTER an article about the same thing which confirms how i feel. Others are suffering this too. people online everywhere place an S behind the brand name of their fork. Durados, shivers, 888s, monsters and now it is DHF8s. its just f'n retarded and i have to laugh every time i read it.

on topic, i'm sure craig will take care of you on your DHF8's cracked stanchion.

jh
yeah, how could they be so f**king stupid as to use "pair of forks" when you really only have *one* fork. Keep the term pairs to objects that really do come in pairs, like a pair of pants or a pair of glasses, or a pair of pliers, jeez. Hmmmm. C'mon, it's english, it doesn't have to make sense... :D

As for your avy, nothing's indestructible, including their mtn10. But he's a stand-up guy, and will try to help you out.

dante

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Originally posted by dante
yeah, how could they be so f**king stupid as to use "pair of forks" when you really only have *one* fork. Keep the term pairs to objects that really do come in pairs, like a pair of pants or a pair of glasses, or a pair of pliers, jeez. Hmmmm. C'mon, it's english, it doesn't have to make sense... :D

As for your avy, nothing's indestructible, including their mtn10. But he's a stand-up guy, and will try to help you out.

dante
hmmm, good point, so is a nice set of tits a total of 4 ? lol

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Hey man, where did you get the fork from anyway? I haven't seen them for sale anywhere in the UK.

I'm sure Craig will happily fix/warranty the fork. (I'm English and I said fork, so there!)

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I'm sorry but I'm sick of people jumping down others throats because they said forks. WHO CARES RIDE YOUR BIKES :D .

Dante is on track here, glasses? theres only one object there, but it's glasses, interesting. Pants, again one object yet it's pants. "Im going to the store to day to buy some new pant":confused: . So these two examples would imply that when combined the two sides equal Pants or glasses. I need more oil in my forks as in both legs, works for me.
Forks, Fork works the same stop bitching. :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by Lexx D

Dante is on track here, glasses?
actually, when i look at my glasses, I distintly see two peices of glass...

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by Jm_
actually, when i look at my glasses, I distintly see two peices of glass...
But you probably can't see well without wearing your glasses:D

All I'm saying is who cares? The guy asked a question and the first posts were about forks vs. fork. I'm interested in his problem not if people like the way he typed it.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Originally posted by Lexx D

Dante is on track here, glasses? theres only one object there, but it's glasses, interesting. Pants, again one object yet it's pants. "Im going to the store to day to buy some new pant":confused: .
nope. it would be "I'm going to the store today to buy a new pant." Some implies more than one (or where quantity is not determined by numeric value such as some ice cream or some rain, etc). True, you see two pieces of glass (really? mine are plastic), but your "glasses" are one object. And you certainly can't work very well with a ply. Or a plier.

Eh, guess some people forget that the internet is global, and so if everything isn't pronounced like it is in their backwards-ass redneck neighborhood they like to jump on the poster. :eek: ;) :D

dante

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
poor bugger is having complications with his fork. certainly avalanches will be able to assist hims.

now about the pants...to my understanding that means "underwear" in uk. does this make them underwears? just curious.

silly americans...telling english people about speaking proper english

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Originally posted by 360
Much to my supprise i discovered a small hairline crack in the upper , just below the lower crown.

I've yet to speak to avalanche since i only discovered the problem a matter of hours ago.

But im curious , a common problem or do mine have a deffect or am i just unlucky?

Oh they're about 8months old and i do use a torque wrench to do them up.

cheers.

so what did Craig @ Avy say about the crack ?? did you crash hard at some point??

Robin

Chimp
Nov 7, 2003
Originally posted by dante
Eh, guess some people forget that the internet is global, and so if everything isn't pronounced like it is in their backwards-ass redneck neighborhood they like to jump on the poster. :eek: ;) :D
Yup, language difficulties, 360 speaks English, like myself, you guys speak American - it's a different thing. Referring to items such as trousers (pants in the US), glasses, forks in the plural and indeed as a "pair of trousers/glasses/forks" is specifically mentioned as allowable and correct in the Oxford English dictionary over here, so it's you that's
just f'n retarded
for trying to correct something that was already right. :D

As for your forks, I hope you get them sorted, do you have something to use in the meantime ?

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
Originally posted by Jm_
cause if you have 2 forks, you got 4 tubes.

On the other hand, if you read the original post, it says that he broke both of his DH8s, but he may be able to piece together a fully functioning one.
I was thinking the same thing. You must have read the lastest LITTER.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by chromegoddess
poor bugger is having complications with his fork. certainly avalanches will be able to assist hims.

now about the pants...to my understanding that means "underwear" in uk. does this make them underwears? just curious.

silly americans...telling english people about speaking proper english
So what are 'knickers'?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by Horrendous Hack
Womens' underwear. Knickers don't count as thongs though.
I got another question,
When people from the UK do not like something, they say
it is pants.
I think that is funny as he11, but where did that come from?
Does it mean anything other than the obvious.

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Originally posted by Jeremy R
I got another question,
When people from the UK do not like something, they say
it is pants.
I think that is funny as he11, but where did that come from?
Does it mean anything other than the obvious.
To be honest I have no idea, but pants are seen as bad. We're a mostly boxer wearing nation I think. Pants are also een as more dirty, so go figure.

*Ahem* *takes up stupidly posh English accent that is stereotyped* Ah, hello old chap! Care for some Earl Grey? It's jolly good. Aha. You would? Bravo, Bravo! Well, cheerio old chum, I'm off to buy some scones.*ahem*

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Originally posted by stoney98
so knickers are granny panties, but what then do you call thongs and "frilly" undies? I've heard they have a different name, but forgot what it is. Also, is it true that when english women begin to settle down, they only wear "knickers"? If so, man that could seriously ruin my intentions of moving to London in the future.
MAybe Madrid...but then I'd need to learn spanish....:rolleyes:
No no no, knickers aren't 'granny panties' . Knickers are what you call panties, I think.
Frilly stuff is just lingere, sexy.
And when a woman settles down they don't always just wear granny panties. Not that i'm a MILF Hunter, I just know these things.

London rocks for urban riding, massivve stair gaps, walls, drops, the works.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
About the cracked upper tube of that guys forkz, what did Craig said about his granny's panties?

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Originally posted by chromegoddess
About the cracked upper tube of that guys forkz, what did Craig said about his granny's panties?
I heard Craig is liking them.

I have to say this an interesting thread, it's gone from Avy DHfs to English underwear and culture. Score.

I still want to know where you got them from 360.

Robin

Chimp
Nov 7, 2003
Originally posted by Horrendous Hack
I heard Craig is liking them.

I have to say this an interesting thread, it's gone from Avy DHfs to English underwear and culture. Score.

I still want to know where you got them from 360.
Pretty sure he ordered straight from Craig at Avalanche. 360 and myself are also both running Avy shocks and for sure those were ordered from Craig and imported.

D

Dingus McGee

My pants are one thing that has two legs
just like a forks.....uh, wait a minute..........

Robin

Chimp
Nov 7, 2003
Originally posted by Dingus McGee
My pants are one thing that has two legs
just like a forks.....uh, wait a minute..........
At least we're consistent over here :D

wysiwyg

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Sherwood Forest, UK
A lefty or a USE sub has one leg, and is therefore a fork, you double the amount of legs, you get forks.

Knickers comes from the old Knickerbocker which was a long legged undergarment, it now refers to underwear in general.