Quantcast

broken switch?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So I came in this morning to find the network down. Ran through standard procedures, eventually found that no computer could ping another. I guessed the switch was broken, went to the store, bought a new one and now everything is fine.

How often do switches break? Any guess as to what I can do to get the old one working again? (All the lights were on, but no one was home, apparently.)

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
So I came in this morning to find the network down. Ran through standard procedures, eventually found that no computer could ping another. I guessed the switch was broken, went to the store, bought a new one and now everything is fine.

How often do switches break? Any guess as to what I can do to get the old one working again? (All the lights were on, but no one was home, apparently.)
What brand/model switch? How old? Whar enviromental conditions? Was it on a UPS?

It's fairly rare but not unheard of. Low end switches (pretty much anything you'd buy at a comp usa) are usually not worth the cost/effort to repair. Higher end switches (>$1000) may be wort it or at least have a trade in value.

I had about 120 closet switches at my last job, and in five years I had one or two switches fail completely. I had several MDA's go bad(gig fiber), and a dozen or so ports go bad (out of 2500). I never had a bad part on my core switches. All were on a UPS.

On the other hand we probably a quarter of the 20 or so low end consumer switches we had go bad in the same period.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
it was some sort of Dell Power Center or something. Yes, UPS. It was in a closet. About 3-4 years old.

Interesting that you say that you've had ports go bad. I wonder if a bad port can simulate complete failure? Probably not worth any further investigation since the replacement was $120.

But my troubleshooting routine, finally guessing it was the switch, going to the store, installing it... STOLE 3 hours of my morning... just frustrating since I was (still am) slammed with work. Thanks for letting me vent :)