Quantcast

Bromont World Cup 4x preview!

Mc.Dub

Monkey
Feb 28, 2007
Montreal
Very cool, I'm pretty excited to see the pros in action. I'll be there the 2nd for sure, maybe the 1st also. Not really sure yet.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
gack! is that a gap to hairpin? holy moly...how awesome, I always wanted to see that.
As far as I can tell, it's basically a spiral berm - jump over the gap and then go around the corkscrew. If someone gets way out front, they'll have dudes literally jumping over them as they exit. Could be cool.

I'm really curious to see what they change to the DH course as well. If they keep the exact same course as the Canada Cup race, you'll see DH times that are only about 15 seconds longer than 4-Cross times! :)

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
i doubt that jump to hair-pin left hander is a very good idea....whoever designed it will either be getting tons of praise or an ass-chewing by ever pro 4x racer...i'm guessing the latter will happen.

pedal pedal pedal, hit the jump, BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE (as there is barely a berm there to use as it appears from the pictures), then pedal pedal pedal. not fun.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
That over under gap thing would be awesome to ride, but just doesnt make a whole lot of sence in a race format. It looks like that course its set up for some dirty riding.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
i doubt that jump to hair-pin left hander is a very good idea....whoever designed it will either be getting tons of praise or an ass-chewing by ever pro 4x racer...i'm guessing the latter will happen.

pedal pedal pedal, hit the jump, BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE (as there is barely a berm there to use as it appears from the pictures), then pedal pedal pedal. not fun.
gotta love all the e-spec and course critique from a bunch of people who haven't even seen the track in person. having checked it out for myself Saturday pretty much all of the concerns listed above are pretty silly; in particular, the 'hairpin' turn. last i checked 4x requires a bit of pedaling, no? and there is more than enough berm and change in elevation after that gap for riders to rail around without their brakes or mashing the pedals. it actually looks like it might be a good place to pass without having to resort to the standard t-bone maneuver used in shorter corners.

they should have had a rider in the photos for a sense of scale because what you can't tell is that the track is HUGE. the first berm is probably about 20 feet tall and the corkscrew jump/turn is a lot wider and less abrupt than it looks like in pictures. of course no one will know how it all pans out until race day but this track is big enough and wide enough for 6 person heats.

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
gotta love all the e-spec and course critique from a bunch of people who haven't even seen the track in person. having checked it out for myself Saturday pretty much all of the concerns listed above are pretty silly; in particular, the 'hairpin' turn. they should have had a rider in the photos for a sense of scale because what you can't tell is that the track is HUGE. the first berm is probably about 20 feet tall and the corkscrew jump/turn is a lot wider and less abrupt than it looks like in pictures. of course no one will know how it all pans out until race day but this track is big enough and wide enough for 6 person heats.
Someone is still getting run over in the over/under. I can almost guarantee it. Also, did you guys bail on nats this weekend for sure?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Someone is still getting run over in the over/under. I can almost guarantee it. Also, did you guys bail on nats this weekend for sure?
not sure how unless the rider underneath is 12 feet tall. the gap's really not that big, if the women can't clear it they should just quit. it's also a bit of a step-down so all the really have to do is fall of the end and they'll make it to the landing. but i'm sure someone will find a way to eff it up.

can't make nationals this weekend, if it was a week later i'd be all set. get some good course photos for me

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
For those of you that have seen it. Do you think it will be groomed out and buffed enough for the fast guys to be running hardtails or will it be a full suspension track?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Just got an email from Phil, there will be a bridge over the corkscrew. Too bad from a comedy standpoint, but great from a racing standpoint. Jumps and such are going in this week. Lots of work to go.

Also, some Graves supporters tagged up the jumps with construction paint last night, I wonder who that coulda been? ;)

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
fraser... i was told by emanuel that there will actually be a bridge over the "gap" there as sort of a bail out in case someone gets sketchy

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Graves is racing these world cups the week before the olympics??? (BMX race in china is 8-8-08)

I would think not.
nope...

but a bunch of fast aussies are staying at bromont for the month between worlds and the canadian rounds of the world cup

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
looks fast and fun...cant wait...anyone seen or heard anything about the MSA 4x track?

MIKEY ON THE MOMS COMPUTER
Yeah, it's got jumps and turns and you have to take people out to win. No skills, no officiating, just kills and gates but not really even the gates thing, just ask our world champ...gotta love 4X. :pirate2:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
That vid shows it like a rollercoaster through the woods! Looks like a course that's going to separate the field substantially, but I wonder if there are many passing ops which makes for awesome racing.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
That vid shows it like a rollercoaster through the woods! Looks like a course that's going to separate the field substantially, but I wonder if there are many passing ops which makes for awesome racing.
According to Phil, corners 3 and 12 are flat for passing opportunities. I would have preffered 1/2 to make for some diversity out of the gate. The first berm is what stretches people out in my opinion (and experience from watching many, many world cup 4x).

Maribor was rad with what amounted to 2 flat turns, the first one having a berm WAY outside. Same for ft bill (sort of).