Quantcast

Brook Macdonald Signs for Trek

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
What the hell is going on in this thread?
To Recap Brook posted a photo on instagram of his new trek in a field ,then the spoke magazine instagram was posted with Brook in team gear on the Trek and then someone said they didnt like his gear and BAM! one thing lead to another and some people don't like his kit ,then Troy Lee Designs got dragged in (even though they don't supply trek world racing)Stikman Corrected someone who was claiming facts, then some guy from Laguna told us about how he sits in a cafe and laughs at people riding there bikes.

Thats it in a nut shell.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
then some guy from Laguna told us about how he sits in a cafe and laughs at people riding there bikes.

Thats it in a nut shell.
I live in San Luis Obispo so they are still coffee shops unless you are a 19 year old from sf or la going to school. I sometimes sit there and laugh at bike riders as well. But typically they have a old road frame in some whack color with straight bars, no brakes and a fixed hub. The riders show up with crazy mustaches wearing their 150 jeans. They then proceed to pull out a MacBook Pro and complain about no job or being underpaid. All while being willing to pay 1500 for an early 80s Schwinn or Bianchi. Fixies are always good to laugh at. I don't laugh at too many others so I think it's okay?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I live in San Luis Obispo so they are still coffee shops unless you are a 19 year old from sf or la going to school. I sometimes sit there and laugh at bike riders as well. But typically they have a old road frame in some whack color with straight bars, no brakes and a fixed hub. The riders show up with crazy mustaches wearing their 150 jeans. They then proceed to pull out a MacBook Pro and complain about no job or being underpaid. All while being willing to pay 1500 for an early 80s Schwinn or Bianchi. Fixies are always good to laugh at. I don't laugh at too many others so I think it's okay?
Is it ok if I do that on a freecoaster bike and I have a job? ;)

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Is it ok if I do that on a freecoaster bike and I have a job? ;)
If you are a former Graphics major or Architecture then probably not. If it's a 20" or 24" then yes and disregard the majors listed before in this case.

Jonnyc

Chimp
Oct 20, 2005
"I love sitting at T.O.P in laguna listening to people make fun of Dher's dressed like tards when they ride by.
Ninja Turtle is a common."

So you sit there with others judging people as they ride their bike and enjoy their day . Your awesome.
Should I stop them from making comments?

I think it's funny it you're not a DH or MOTO guy the kits look ridiculous

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
If you are a former Graphics major or Architecture then probably not. If it's a 20" or 24" then yes and disregard the majors listed before in this case.
No but I work in the movie business so around your parts I'd probably get even more **** for that. As for graphics majors I still like how they all want to go into one niche so there is crazy competition there and forget there are awesome jobs outside of it that are easier to get (for example the bike industry). Though I stopped hating on the fixed community after attending some events. Yes they are crazy people but they enjoy bikes so why should we hate them?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
No but I work in the movie business so around your parts I'd probably get even more **** for that. Yes they are crazy people but they enjoy bikes so why should we hate them?
Nice what do you do? I don't hate them just laugh at them on the inside.:)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Nice what do you do? I don't hate them just laugh at them on the inside.:)
Lineup, review projects for acquisition (both script and finished), translation consulting (from time to time) but most importantly I'm part of the team that supervises our ad agency. Though now they want to push me there but I'd rather keep doing what I'm doing. Better team.

Strangely no fixies in the industry here ;)

Last edited:

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Yup, everyone agrees.
Thats why the yellow and green shocker kit sold out in 2 months!
When the new kits come out every year there are always one or two that makes me think that there's some designer at TLD with an awesome sense of humor. That heinous looking yellow and green kit is one of those. Well done.

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
I really don't see what's so epileptic about the new Mirage/Stinger/Speedshop/Corse kits, I think they're clean as hell in design. Sure, some of the colors you can pick are quite loud (my neon yellow kit actually reflects light, making things nearby seem yellow/green as well) but most can be bought with more subtle colors.

As a photographer, there is nothing worse than all black kit. Almost impossible to make it look good in the forest.

(White kits aren't really a problem, just clean them! No matter what color your kit is, possibly apart from brown, it will look dirty after a run in the mud)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
When the new kits come out every year there are always one or two that makes me think that there's some designer at TLD with an awesome sense of humor. That heinous looking yellow and green kit is one of those. Well done.
Or maybe fashion sense isn't objective?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
As a photographer, there is nothing worse than all black kit. Almost impossible to make it look good in the forest.
It is not like Sven, Gary and Sterl are hanging out on the track where I normally go riding, so what is your point????
I go riding to have a good time and not to have pictures taken!
BTW: can you tell the Athertons to stop riding the black One kit, because it makes them look bad in pictures? ;)

(White kits aren't really a problem, just clean them! No matter what color your kit is, possibly apart from brown, it will look dirty after a run in the mud)
Some are worse than others. ;)

Last edited:

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
It is not like Sven, Gary and Sterl are hanging out on the track where I normally go riding, so what is your point????
I go riding to have a good time and not to have pictures taken!
BTW: can you tell the Athertons to stop riding the black One kit, because it makes them look bad in pictures? ;)
I'm speaking from my own point of view, being a photographer. Getting a good exposure on a bright day on someone with an all black kit is a serious PITA. A bit of color also adds a nice extra dimension to pictures, because it draws attention to the rider.. And I'm not saying it makes it look bad, it's just more of a hassle for the photographer and, IMO, doesn't look as good (see the difference between "bad" and "not as good"?).

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I'm speaking from my own point of view, being a photographer. Getting a good exposure on a bright day on someone with an all black kit is a serious PITA. A bit of color also adds a nice extra dimension to pictures, because it draws attention to the rider.. And I'm not saying it makes it look bad, it's just more of a hassle for the photographer and, IMO, doesn't look as good (see the difference between "bad" and "not as good"?).
For racers you have a point, but for the average Joe looking good in pictures doesn't matter.
Anyways, luckily there is some stuff out there for the non-fanbois that just want to have good quality riding gear in colors that don't look like you are on your way to the CSD. I just wish TLD would make more of that.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
For racers you have a point, but for the average Joe looking good in pictures doesn't matter.
Don't know about you, but I like to look good on photos.
There are tons of simple options you can get from TLD. And they always have a few black options for shy peeps in there too.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Don't know about you, but I like to look good on photos.
There are tons of simple options you can get from TLD. And they always have a few black options for shy peeps in there too.
This. I know on the internet we all want to be unseen world champions but in reality we are not bastard children of flash and a ninja lady so a kit that makes you look better in photos is nice. When you're pushing your bike for the 15th time you are glad you get a good photo a bit earlier ;)

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
This. I know on the internet we all want to be unseen world champions but in reality we are not bastard children of flash and a ninja lady so a kit that makes you look better in photos is nice. When you're pushing your bike for the 15th time you are glad you get a good photo a bit earlier ;)
I only care about photos when I am behind the camera. If I am on the bike my main goal is to have a good time. ;)