Quantcast

bruised ribs...

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
had a bad OTB today that resulted in my going onto my back on a large flat slab-rock, bouncing off it and across the trail before hitting rib first into a tree.

Anyone else do this and how long is the usual healtime and has anyone been able to ride less than a week after the injury.

This was my worst crash ever on a bike and felt like I broke my wrist as well.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Yep. Fractured #10 on my left side by taking a knee during a basketball game...took 3 weeks to just feel like breathing kinda normal again. 6 weeks and I was back to pretty much normal.

If it's just bruised, you're fine. Ibuprofen and a bit of rest should do the trick.

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
Go to the doctor and get X-Rays. I broke 3 ribs in Whistler 2 years ago and it was 6 weeks before I could go about my life in a normal way. You can puncture your lung(s) pretty easily and not know it and end up with a collapsed lung days after the accident from the fluid build up. I didn't start coughing up blood for three days because it was too painful to actually cough. Go to the doctor dude.

istratetm

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
took one of these about 3 weeks ago when dirt jumpin'. i rested for 3 days and was feeling quite ok. went out riding the dirt park again 4 days later and crashed again. i was able to sleep normal only 2 weeks later. i connot sneeze properly yet but i am better.
so if you stay off the bike and rest for 2 weeks u should be fine(if its a bruise). with cracks or breaks there is a different story.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
definately not broken. I have full mobility, no abnormal breathing or loss of breath and only moderate pain when coughing/sneezing.

Only thing holding me off from a doctor visit is I was between contract/fulltime employment and dont have health insurance right now. Im not worried about them being broken as there really isnt a considerable amount of pain (not broken rib pain at least. Normal breathing results in no pain, deep breathing minor/moderate pain.

Gonna wait a few days to schedule a doctor appointment. Im more worried about my scaphoid being fractured again and want to give that a few days.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
6 weeks on a fully snapped rib for me.

Just be careful/prudent! Large bills wont mean jack if you croak! (But really, be careful, go see tha doctor!)

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
i went down on saturday at diablo, decided to just wait it out for a day to see how i felt. still hurtin pretty bad so i went to the hospital last night and got some xrays of my ribs and i have a broken #5 on the right side. doc said 4-6 weeks. :mad:

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
i went down on saturday at diablo, decided to just wait it out for a day to see how i felt. still hurtin pretty bad so i went to the hospital last night and got some xrays of my ribs and i have a broken #5 on the right side. doc said 4-6 weeks. :mad:
I told ya just to Duct tape them and don't sneeze!

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
According to webMD the correct treatment involves a 300lb spring on your revolt and giving it to me. A medium in the fork is also good for a few days quicker improvement.

Did you have the helmet cam on?

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I went OTB and bruised or broke a rib a week ago tuesday. Ibuprofin works incredibly well, def. try it if you haven't yet.

Sneezing is one of the worst pains I've experienced, almost as bad as a kick in the balls. Coughing sucks too, but nowhere near as bad as a sneeze. Lying down to sleep has been pretty bad at times too.

It's starting to feel better, so hopefully just a bruise...

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
I bruised a few ribs on my motorcycle last year, hit a square edge rock that turn the bars and sent me forward, the edge of the bars/barkbuster caught me in the ribs. I rode again within a week but not without a lot of pain. The pain didn't go away for another 1 to 2 months, and even after like 4 months I would get random spikes of pain. I would imagine the handlebar would be worse than a tree since it's sharper, not to mention I'm a huge wimp.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Have had a lot of broken ribs in my time. Can say 13 total. A fully broken one takes about 6+ weeks. You really need to tape it up. It will help a little on the pain when breathing. My last 3 ribs where 2 years ago at the US Open after going of the back side of the big G-Out Drop left turn. Just be happy 2 of your Ribs didn’t puncher your Lung and put you in the hospital for 4 days. Hope it hells up fast for you Bro.

Cecil

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Thanks guys. Luckily Im not in terrible pain. Little spikes here and there. I deal with pain pretty well. Heavy tattoo coverage and 17 years of skateboarding, you get acclimated to it.

FCL - from everything I've read taping ribs seems to be bad for it. Maybe that just refers to initially taping them though.

Never had a rib injury before and I can say trying to straight sit up from a flat or almost flat position causes the most pain (maybe not most intense) but the most pain across a given time period. Coughing is little spikes, sitting up is long drawn out pain.

Both wrists have swollen a bit but I maintain mobility use use of my hands so I doubt i've broken my scaphoid yet again.

istratetm

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
Thanks guys. Luckily Im not in terrible pain. Little spikes here and there. I deal with pain pretty well. Heavy tattoo coverage and 17 years of skateboarding, you get acclimated to it.

FCL - from everything I've read taping ribs seems to be bad for it. Maybe that just refers to initially taping them though.

Never had a rib injury before and I can say trying to straight sit up from a flat or almost flat position causes the most pain (maybe not most intense) but the most pain across a given time period. Coughing is little spikes, sitting up is long drawn out pain.

Both wrists have swollen a bit but I maintain mobility use use of my hands so I doubt i've broken my scaphoid yet again.
regarding the ribs i went trough the exact same thing myself. same symptoms. i say give it 2-3 weeks and is good. i doubt you craked or broke one. cheers

AzToJrse

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
SOUTH JERSEY
do not tape ribs, that is how you puncture a lung if a rib is cracked and displaced. no tape, try to take deep breaths if possible, thats what the doc told me when i broke em last year.

snowaddict91

Chimp
Sep 8, 2008
Gunnison, Co
I wouldn't recommend taping ribs either for various reasons.
I agree it sounds like you just sprained your wrist good. Which wrist is it? I have a splint/brace I could let you use next time I ride with you, but idk if it would fit, its pretty small

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
Be careful not to push it to soon. I bruised my ribs good at 26 West a couple of years ago on my first run down the trail and decided to ride the rest of the day. This resulted in fluid build up between my ribs. Took a solid month an a half if not more to be able to ride without pain.
A year later I layed down to do bench presses and on the first press I heard the muscles in the same area tear. lol scared the crap out of me.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Holy $hit, rib injuries suck. :mad: Been 9 days, it's getting better but still a source of constant pain. Unfortunately, I have work that has to get done, which sucks...

How soon would you guys say its ok to ride the bike without making it worse???

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
feels like im breaking my ribs each time I sneeze.
I have to sit down for 10 min everytime I sneeze because of the pain. I learned to recognize that initial tingle in the nose that leads to a sneeze, when you feel it, pinch your nose closed for a couple seconds, then exhale sharply through your nose. Good Luck ;)