Quantcast

Build so far

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Now the big question.............

Revox or Cane Creek DB?

Is the CCDB really worth the extra $600?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im selling a lot of things to get this bike. Ive sold my wifes bike, my Jeep soft top, and my Avalanche shock.

Ive been hearing good things about the Revox. I really would like the CCDB but $600 is a lot of money....

Anyone else have an opinion on the Revox?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Im selling a lot of things to get this bike. Ive sold my wifes bike, my Jeep soft top, and my Avalanche shock.

Ive been hearing good things about the Revox. I really would like the CCDB but $600 is a lot of money....

It's a manitou. All I need to know. Maybe, just maybe, they've got their design AND QC in order, but seeing as they couldn't get either right the past few go arounds OR on their current forks, I'll let some other folks who have no choice (OEM) do the testing on that one. There are good shocks on the market from Fox, RS, and Zoke... why push your luck unless you're going to shell out for a CCDB?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop

Does the Revox cost $50?
Because the Double Barrel cost $650.
It always a headscratcher on here when people talk about the price of a double barrel.
To put it in perspective, the cost of DHX and Vivid shocks are in the $400 to $450 range, and the the DB is $650.
So, it is 200 or 250 more.
The Fox 40 is $1600 and the Boxxer team is $895.
That is $705 more.
I have owned both of those forks, and IMO they are both good forks that perform well and are close in performance.
The double barrel on the other hand is an significant improvement over anything I have ever ran before. Whether it is worth the price difference is up to you.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
It's a manitou. All I need to know. Maybe, just maybe, they've got their design AND QC in order, but seeing as they couldn't get either right the past few go arounds OR on their current forks, I'll let some other folks who have no choice (OEM) do the testing on that one. There are good shocks on the market from Fox, RS, and Zoke... why push your luck unless you're going to shell out for a CCDB?
I have a manitou evolver ISX6 for my DH bike. Its held up like a champ even after having a valve ripped out it of. Its (to date) the nicest shock I've ridden. I'm getting a ccdb tomorrow, but frankly even if it blows my mind, I'm still gonna think that for 200 less and half the weight, the evolver is still an A+ shock. If the revox feels anything like the evolver, its a good shock. (and since they both use intrinsic damping and have the same adjustments, I'm pretty sure they feel somewhat similar, albeit different spring curves)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
You are seeing demons because of the old stuff they made. You ride a model not a company so be concerned about the opinions of the model Kanter is interested in. From what I hear most ppl are very happy with their revoxes. Some say it's better than the dhx. My old man uses an Evolver as William and is more than happy. Actually I think it may be even a bit better than my dhx air 5.0. Not buying one product because the company has some OTHER bad products is not the best thing to do. Going that way and most ppl should buy Iron Horse or Mongoose.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
I have a manitou evolver ISX6 for my DH bike. Its held up like a champ even after having a valve ripped out it of. Its (to date) the nicest shock I've ridden. I'm getting a ccdb tomorrow, but frankly even if it blows my mind, I'm still gonna think that for 200 less and half the weight, the evolver is still an A+ shock. If the revox feels anything like the evolver, its a good shock. (and since they both use intrinsic damping and have the same adjustments, I'm pretty sure they feel somewhat similar, albeit different spring curves)
air /= coil...

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
You ride a model not a company so be concerned about the opinions of the model Kanter is interested in.
That is somewhat true, which is why I said wait and see how the Revox does... let other people be the first users.

It would be one thing if Manitou had one bad run, but every single product they have put out, almost without exception, in the last decade has had serious design and/or quality flaws. For me it's going to take more than a few good initial reports on their latest effort before I encourage anyone with options to invest their money in being a tester.

It's not like it's impossible. Rockshox turned around after the SRAM takeover; however I similarly wouldn't have recommended a new RS product until they had a bit of a track record.

From what I hear most ppl are very happy with their revoxes.
That's great news. I truly hope that it turns out to be a reliable, high-performance product. The warranty and customer service folks at Manitou have always been awesome people and they deserve to have a product in the field that they don't have to compensate for with amazing service.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
It would be one thing if Manitou had one bad run, but every single product they have put out, almost without exception, in the last decade has had serious design and/or quality flaws
Travis? Works Great! Revox and Evolver get great reviews. Old X-verts were awesome. I also use swinger air 3 way (5-6 years old ) and works great. Used swinger 4 way and had no problems under very heavy use. The only problematic ones were actualy the late dorados and 6 way swingers + their customer support(at least in some places). They also have incredible XC stuff. Thinking like that no1 should now buy new taiwanease zoke products and none even a few years after that...

PS. Initial Reports? Revox isn't that new. Is it like 2 or 3 years?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Travis? Works Great! Revox and Evolver get great reviews. Old X-verts were awesome. I also use swinger air 3 way (5-6 years old ) and works great.
I don't want to turn this into a Manitou hater thread, since it's about Kanter's build but I would say the x-verts were their last decent product. Every dorado, sherman, swinger, AND travis I have ever used or handled was seriously ****ed in some way. I had hoped intrinsic damping would erase the disaster that was SPV, but the travis I rode at whistler was a steaming pile of ****. Worst fork I have been on since my 2000 boxxer and maybe even worse. If they're using the same damping in their shocks, I wouldn't buy 'em as a paperweight.

Again, I hope they've improved and it's not like I'm a loyalist. Complaints about the latest zoke stuff make me question their reputation. RS had had some misteps on new products (e.g. 2-step). Fox isn't perfect either. However, so far these seem to be isolated products... not systemic. I'm really hoping Hayes can do for Manitou what SRAM did for RS.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
but the travis I rode at whistler was a steaming pile of ****.
Most ppl forget to service them regularly and they need it often. My old man uses a travis and it has the nices feeling in the market. I'd maybe like more progresivenss and faster rebound but the plush feel is great. He got it used dirt cheap because some guy told us it was not working for him and was crap. Apparently what could be compared to crap was the state of oil in his fork...
As for manitou they just ****ed up with SPV neglected the Dh/fr market for a while but imho there are going in good direction.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The CCDB only comes with a ti spring on the M6.

I think Ill just get the CCBD. The review on the Revox are pretty good on the MTBR reviews. It actually got a 5 star rating. I just dont trust Manitou. Plus, I have had some AWESOME customer service from Cane Creek.

FINAL BUILD
frame-09 Intense M6 with Cane Creek
fork-08 888 RC3-white
brakes-Avid Elixers 8"
handle bars-Syncros BULK bar-white
headset-Cane Creek Double Xc Flush
chain-Sram PC991
shifters and derailer-Sram X9
seat-WTB Rocket V ti
seatpost-Thompson Elite-black
grips-ODI Northshore with black rings
crank and bb-HammerSchmidt AM 22/36 OR Gravity Lite with LG1
wheelset-I9s
tires-Maxxis DHF 3c
tubes-Maxxis ultra lites

Last edited:

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
I live in yurp so I won't give you much feedback about availability but if you don't mind the looks of k24 just get it and change the lever to bianco 1 finger as it's basicaly the same brake(did the same at my k24s).

Dunno about more power. My oro's do the job great but probably there are a few ppl here who have them. Supposedly it's quite the differance - heard they are only a bit weaker than codes but it's not my opinion so don't take my word for that.
i have 2 sets of k24s, and one set of oro biancos (which come w/ the one finger lever).

at first i thought i'd buy the one-finger levers for the K24s, but for my large hands i prefer the stock K24 lever length. it's similar to the 'one finger' levers from some other brands. Yes, you need to move the clamps inboard a bit, but for me the feel is perfect as a one-finger brake.

formula brakes are my favorite brakes on the market.

the elixir CR looks promising but until they've been out a while, i'm reserving judgement.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
frame-09 Intense M6 with Cane Creek
fork-08 888 RC3-white
crank and bb-HammerSchmidt AM 22/36
tires-Maxxis DHF 3c
Normally I have ZERO interest in watching guys ride mtb's UPHILL, but I would love to see video of you pedalling this specific tub of goo up some hills!

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
isn't the m6 designed around a 38t chain ring, vpp are known for stiffening up in the granny sized front rings aren't they?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Normally I have ZERO interest in watching guys ride mtb's UPHILL, but I would love to see video of you pedalling this specific tub of goo up some hills!
Ya gotta do, what ya gotta do. Not all states have lift access DH runs. Some people have to earn their DH around here. I use to ride a 9" travel Fly with an 888 at 45 lbs uphill all the time.

Actually Im surprised it took someone this long to see that. Im not set on the HS just yet. I just thought I would throw that in there. :)

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Ya gotta do, what ya gotta do. Not all states have lift access DH runs. Some people have to earn their DH around here. I use to ride a 9" travel Fly with an 888 at 45 lbs uphill all the time.

Actually Im surprised it took someone this long to see that. Im not set on the HS just yet. I just thought I would throw that in there. :)
I agree, do what you can with what you got. When I see Kanter I think "big bike with a front derailleur" and even back to "what's the biggest tire I can fit in ____". ;) While nothing is totally impossible, I think climbing on an M6 will come as close to impossible as it gets, and probably biting off more than anyone can chew.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Does the Revox cost $50?
Because the Double Barrel cost $650.
It always a headscratcher on here when people talk about the price of a double barrel.
To put it in perspective, the cost of DHX and Vivid shocks are in the $400 to $450 range, and the the DB is $650.
So, it is 200 or 250 more.
The Fox 40 is $1600 and the Boxxer team is $895.
That is $705 more.
I have owned both of those forks, and IMO they are both good forks that perform well and are close in performance.
The double barrel on the other hand is an significant improvement over anything I have ever ran before. Whether it is worth the price difference is up to you.
Avalanche is only 600 with the high/low comp adjuster. BOING!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Most ppl forget to service them regularly
What, like every day?

I love the excuse that you have to "service it regularly" because it's engineered like crap. Maybe if you re-grease it every day or after every ride it will be ok, but then it's still engineered like crap.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I agree, do what you can with what you got. When I see Kanter I think "big bike with a front derailleur" and even back to "what's the biggest tire I can fit in ____". ;) While nothing is totally impossible, I think climbing on an M6 will come as close to impossible as it gets, and probably biting off more than anyone can chew.
My buddy climbs a 45-46 lb V10 with two front ring and a telescoping seatpost. He shifts it by hand.

My other buddys ride;
two ride Demo 9s with 888
Stinky Deluxe with 66
Demo 7 with Boxxer WC
VP free with Boxxer WC
Bullit with Totem Air
Stinky with 888
Nomad with 66
Demo 8 with 888
Transition Blindside with 66
Big Hit with Super T

Everyone in my area uses big bikes for AM riding. The area we ride is sort of like a small North Shore and our shuttles are super long with some easy climbing involved.

I make climbs on my current bike (Socom) with 66ETA that a lot of XC riders cant even make. :)

I really wont use the M6 to climb, but I have to have a granny gear for when my wife rides the Socom and I have to man up and ride the M6. :)

Oh ya, no one runs tires less that 2 ply 2.5 DH tires either. ;) Most run 2.65 and 2.7s.

Its more fun to ride a DH bike when your trails start like this and only have some climbing involved.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
What, like every day?

I love the excuse that you have to "service it regularly" because it's engineered like crap. Maybe if you re-grease it every day or after every ride it will be ok, but then it's still engineered like crap.
Like every 2-3 months? Downhill bikes were not build to be **** swimming amphibias, if you stop dipping it in crap I'm sure It'd stop working like it. Dunno in what conditions you ride but my old man rides with me in quite heavy mud and last time I checked the fork worked quite nice. You looked inside? Maybe it has some mechanical problem and that's why it works bad.

BTW. Kanter yeah I know one guy who done transcarpatia on a heavy FR rig with a DC (it's a stage marathon!!!) but that doesn't mean that's a good idea ;)

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Everyone in my area uses big bikes for AM riding. The area we ride is sort of like a small North Shore and our shuttles are super long with some easy climbing involved.

I really wont use the M6 to climb, but I have to have a granny gear for when my wife rides the Socom and I have to man up and ride the M6. :)

Its more fun to ride a DH bike when your trails start like this and only have some climbing involved.
That makes a lot more sense. Our climbs are almost as steep (and rooty and rocky) as our downhills so that would not be possible here. Sprint up, sprint down. If we had service roads and the requirement was to spin the easiest gear for an hour I can see where you could make do with a full on DH bike going up. Around here, might as well hike a bike IMO.

Last edited:

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Well said. I've got some more to add

Bacon /= Sled
Rubber duck /= Verb

The combo's are limitless.

Anyway, back OT, looks sick Kanter, can't wait to see er built
and that has exactly what to do with this thread?

a coil shock is going to feel different than an air shock and has to be constructed differently as well. you nominally pointed that out, i highlighted it.

there is a reason people ride coil shocks on dh bikes.

kanter, thanks for building up my dream bike, even if i'm never going to be able to swing my leg over an m6 in my life.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ill know if Im going to build the M6 tomorrow. Im going to look at a new 08 SX Trail I for my wife. If she likes it Ill get it for her and Ill keep the Socom. I sort of hope she doesnt like it. Then she gets the Socom and I order the M6.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Um thanks but no thanks. :)
well said.

I did my first real ride on my new lucky, its got a 13.7inch BB and a 65 degree HT with 175mm cranks, and aside from banging my pedals on the ground in rooty or rutted sections if I wasn't careful, it climbed just fine. Why sacrifice everything else so you can get a bike with questionably better performance at climbing? Why get a downhill bike.

by the way kanter, it sounds like you're pretty set on the m6 or socom, but if you're still curious about whether or not the lucky would be good, shoot me a PM and I'll give you a more in depth write up on it.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I have a Socom. The wife needs a new bike. Im thinking Ill give the Socom to her and get me an M6. Or I might just buy her an 08 Trail SX.

Everyone Ive talked to told me the Lucky climbs badly.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I have a Socom. The wife needs a new bike. Im thinking Ill give the Socom to her and get me an M6. Or I might just buy her an 08 Trail SX.

Everyone Ive talked to told me the Lucky climbs badly.
I guess in all fairness I'm running my in 7 inch mode with a ccdb, but I haven't had any trouble climbing. Maybe I'm naturally a good climber (I don't think so!) but I was first to the top when I rode Santa Cruz and I was passing quite a few dudes on XC bikes. I wouldn't say the bike excels at climbing, but its definitely better then the M6 and its 100% doable.

At any rate, the m6 sounds like a sure bet for you, and they're super fun to ride on the descents, so have fun with it!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Well, we looked at the SX Trail 1. The beast weighted 38 lbs 10 oz. Thats just crazy. My Socom weighs less and has 2 more inches of travel front and rear. The wife hates the colors. They have it marked down to $2346, which is down from $3600. Needless to say, the wife wants the Socom. It looks like the M6 might just be happening. I did get to ride a V10 today and the thing was quite nice. hmmmm

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Well, we looked at the SX Trail 1. The beast weighted 38 lbs 10 oz. Thats just crazy. My Socom weighs less and has 2 more inches of travel front and rear. The wife hates the colors. They have it marked down to $2346, which is down from $3600. Needless to say, the wife wants the Socom. It looks like the M6 might just be happening. I did get to ride a V10 today and the thing was quite nice. hmmmm
I think you should seriously consider a V10, as much as I love the M6 there is a few things that I feel could be... lets say improved on. The V10 on the other hand seems to be a bit more refined in some ways and I must say rides fantastic. ( To be fair I haven't ridden the M6 yet as the guy who owns it is a bit precious only parking lot loopers) but I just don't see how to justify it. I believe that the M6 frame is 1lb heftier as well (corrections?).

All the rambling aside, you really can't go wrong with either imo.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Santa Cruz says you cant fit a Hammer Schmidt on a V10. I really need two rings or a Hammer Schmidt.

We did a big ride yesterday on BIG bikes. Here are a few pics of why we ride BIG bikes for XC. We did 2 miles of carry/push for 10 miles of awesome DH.

Here is a pic of my buddy next to his v10. My other buddy rides a Stinky Deluxe and my Socom is there too.

A long DH all the way back to the bottom. Its almost a 5000 ft decent in 10 miles.

The push/ride up isnt that bad on a DH bike.

Oh man this is a fun DH. I think its one of the best in the valley.

Check out the trail. I would not want to be on a light XC bike. No thanks.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Oh, come on! A big knobbied unicycle could tear that up! :D
I called Tyler and Im ordering them today given hes still got mine sitting there. I figured you guys had snow there, I went to bogus this weekend 4 wheelin and there was 7"+ there.
If Im around the NW next year Ill try and make a trip that way to ride!
Nice trail, pretty good singletrack! If/when you get down this way we'll get Bob the builder (brodie/Norco rep) and go ride Slate creek. We will bring a GPS this time as we got lost in the woods for over 8 hours as night approached! :D
Also beauty creek in courdelane is sketchy and fun!!!!!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Sounds good Bullcrew.

I did get a little time on my buddys V10 yesterday. I was surprised how steep the headangle felt. Yes, it was sagging about 4 inches.

I checked the HA and BB of the V10, Socom, and M6.

M6-64.5 HA and 13.75 BB
Socom-66.5 HA and 14.125 BB
V10-67 HA and 14.8 BB

I did get my 888 yesterday. I might slap it on the Socom and give it a try for a bit.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Sounds good Bullcrew.

I did get a little time on my buddys V10 yesterday. I was surprised how steep the headangle felt. Yes, it was sagging about 4 inches.
Kanter,
Not to derail, but how does your buddy with the dual ring V10 have it set up? Just 2 rings with a bash or does he have a chainguide rigged up?

Thanks!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Hey Kanter, you do realize an M6 is not gonna feel good with a hammershmidt on there. The Vpp is designed around a 36-38 ring and the hammershmidt is a 22. There's gonna be a lot of bob.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Kanter,
Not to derail, but how does your buddy with the dual ring V10 have it set up? Just 2 rings with a bash or does he have a chainguide rigged up?

Thanks!
When we do all mountain riding he runs two rings and a bash. He shifts it by hand. He loses the chain once in a great while. He is trying to figure a way out to run two rings and a chainguide. When we hit the resorts he switches back to a single ring and a guide.

For awhile he ran a roller with a zip tie on the chainstay to hold the chain on the rings. It worked pretty good but he is stil trying to figure something out.