Quantcast

Build your own Carbon/Kevlar DH Hardtail

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
I would just suggest clamping any seams or places you would bond the two females. You might already be doing that. But, pressure. yeah.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Wow very cool. Keep us postewd as it progesses for sure.

I have a friend who works at a speed shop, making carbon NASCAR parts. Maybe Ill see if he can bring home some scrap rolls. Looksn great. Keep us posted.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
wow that is really impressive for a first shot, with the paint it looks extra tight, looks production. :thumb: After the surface finishing, why couldnt you put on a final tidy layer instead of the female mold hassle?

now i'm almost thinking of making a bolt-on CF front-end for my bike instead of that steel boat anchor...

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
sweet a carbon front on all that beautifull cnc would be awesome!!
now if you could just anodize some of it purple!!!...(i mean black....really...)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Might I suggest aircraft supply places as a source for carbon and other supplies. Aircraft Spruce and Wicks are the 2 that I use a lot.

You should really get yourself some solid modeling software. This would eliminate any design issues so you could get it perfect the first time. Solidworks is easy to get and easy to learn.

Overall, awesome results for being homebuilt. There is a website of a guy who built his own carbon recumbant. He's old and a weightweenie but he has good step by step instructions. I'll try and find a link.

Nately27

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
zedro said:
wow that is really impressive for a first shot, with the paint it looks extra tight, looks production. :thumb: After the surface finishing, why couldnt you put on a final tidy layer instead of the female mold hassle?
Yeah, i considered it. i was gettin more and more weight concious towards the end, so i decided to just paint it and forget the carbon finish, and i was gettin really anxious to ride it :D . It would work though, mayby someday ill go back and make it look really nice!
Ive finished the modifications to the chainstay and they turned out real nice, ill post some pics when i get back on monday. Ive got unigraphics NX3 now, so yeah, hopefully this will be avoided next time. but at least carbon lends itself to modifications very well.

zedro said:
now i'm almost thinking of making a bolt-on CF front-end for my bike instead of that steel boat anchor...
very...very good idea!!! :thumb:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Actually, I am pretty sure that he is getting a significant increase in strength by molding over the foam (positive mold) due to the composite effect. If the foam has good compression stiffness, it should be adding a ton of strength. I am too tired to dig out my machine component design book to get the equations since I just got back from my first DH day of the year :)

Nately27

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I finished up the modifications, and ill be priming it and building it up tonight, hence...ride tomorrow! Heres a pic of the chainstay, it aint the prettiest thing in the photo, but it looks better in person.

the foam can take up at least 25psi, i tested it that high in the vacuum bag, so it adds a lot of buckling resistance to the skin. which is the first place it'd fail as i see it.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Nately27 said:
The foam can take up at least 25psi, i tested it that high in the vacuum bag, so it adds a lot of buckling resistance to the skin. which is the first place it'd fail as i see it.
How did you see 25psi with a vacume bag when atmospheric pressure is only 14.7psi at sea level? Did you have positive air pressure outside the bag?

Nately27

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
im an idiot. you're right, i used 12.7psi, which is about 25 inches in Hg. Thats the most vacuum my pump can pull.

Nately27

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
i finally been able to put some serious hours on my bike. it manuals like a madman, so ive tryin to do a lot of that. Anyways, here are some action shots:

attempt at a drop to manual:

attempting to bunnyhop to manual:

a long stair gap:

BadFastard

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Belgium
home made carbonfiber rocks

here are a few pics of a (way too modest) mate of mine:
no dh or street rig, quality build nontheless:

dust caps are mounted and are much better, stronger than the originals? Pic will follow
Detail of his road bike: all hand made in the barn

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Nately27 said:
i finally been able to put some serious hours on my bike. it manuals like a madman, so ive tryin to do a lot of that. Anyways, here are some action shots:
a long stair gap:
i do a quick test b/f i do anything big like this on a new carbon bike.

find a big ^ where both wheels are on each side. do some seroius bouncing to see if it will have a quick failure. it will put a huge load on your head tube a
might crack it. if not you are good to ride. don't be afraide to do this test.
on a new proto it might save your neck!

Nately27

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
bcd said:
i do a quick test b/f i do anything big like this on a new carbon bike.

find a big ^ where both wheels are on each side. do some seroius bouncing to see if it will have a quick failure. it will put a huge load on your head tube a
might crack it. if not you are good to ride. don't be afraide to do this test.
on a new proto it might save your neck!
yeah I definately agree. I wasnt doing stair gaps on the first ride out! You dont loose anything by testing it thats for sure.

thats a wicked road bike! what process did he use to make it?

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
nately, if you plan to build another frame you can call me up and i will help, i live in charlottesville and have thought about doing that myself, but do not have the resources. ive got some experience in autocad and inventer 5, due to taking engineering classes for the past two years a hs. so if you want/need a helper shoot me a pm. if not, no big deal its all good.
Daniel

jeremyb

Monkey
Dec 3, 2004
Christchurch, New Zealand
I saw a good process for doing carbon frames a guy who was building a recumbent used, to get a nice finish on the outside without using a female mold, he layed up a couple of layers of weave on a two half male molds and let it cure, then he took it out and reinforced the inside parts and then glued the halves together :)

Nately27

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
thanks for the interest guys. I started a second full suspension frame about a year ago, unfortunately its stalled at the moment due to grad school bein so busy. We've got some cool new cnc equipment too to try out on the frame which im really excited about! Ive been writing up about it here: octobercycles.blogspot.com although like I said, its in need of an update an update too. Im crossing my fingers next semester will be a little lighter.

metzy

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
You don't have to buy an expensive vaccum pump to vac bag your work, I made a vac pump out of a fridge compressor, vacuum advance from a car and a few pieces of plastic tube. Cost me about $12 and works fine. There are plans on the interweb for this type of thing.

I got my foam cut to profile at a sign writer, cost me about $40 and saves a lot of hassle shaping the core. A sign writer can use a DXF file, generate this file in CAD programs or illustrator all pretty easy stuff.

try to use unidiectional fibres in critical areas where you know the main direction of loading. EG you can run uni fibres along the top and bottom of the top tube then wind them around the head tube and back down the dt, this really locks everything inplace, and is more efficient use of carbon than just using it as " black aluminum".

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Metzy, what is the weight going to be on that frame? It is sick looking!!!! I know it is a gear box bike but how will the rear suspension work? Is it going to be a SP or floating? Great work man!!!

metzy

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
The frame is on track to weigh 7.5lbs including the shock. front tri is about 4.5lbs, rear 2lbs when finished, + bits and pieces. Is going to be a trail bike so should build up to a respectable weight.

The rear end is high single pivot. There is a lot of confusion about single versus multi pivot. With a high pivot you get some huge advantages as far as pedalling and bump eating geometry, this is all described with high school physics, its not confusing just blurred by lack of knowledge and the crap in magazines. Have a look at the lahar web site for some nice speil. As far as multi vs single pivot, not even worth discussing, they are not that different.

blah blah blah.

have a nice day

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
With a high pivot you get some huge advantages as far as pedalling and bump eating geometry,
Like pedal feedback and ultra-harsh feeling while trying to pedal through rough terrain caused by chain extention. Of course with a roller you can get around this, but the magazines and other people aren't lying to you, it's simply that most "high pivot" bikes make no provision for the extending chainline.