Quantcast

Building a dirt jumper

Mar 17, 2009
Sac town!
Hey guys, whats up?

I will keep this short and to the point, my buddy got a Specialized P1, and its just sick! SUPER fun to ride over my 18's LOL

So I want to build a bike up, I was thinking of buying a Eastern Night Train, or saying to heck with it and do it right the first time and build one up. Im still undecided what to do, I do know that it will probably some extra pennies to build one, but it will be everything I want, the first time around:busted:

If I build a bike, Black and purple would be the colors, Im thinking about the Eastern Black Betty frame, some Marzocchi shocks, And alot of eastern parts in purple, or black. So I need all the recommendations I can get as far as pretty much everything goes. Building a bike would be super fun, and I know I can do that just fine:pirate2:

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Im not sure what stores online are good, and where to find parts to get going

Thanks for any imput!

-Brandon:lighten:

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
1400 is unrealistic unless you want to buy some used parts and find some really good deals.

obviously you will get a better bike if you build your own, but you just might not have the funds.

if you are thinking of building though the eastern with the build you described seems decent. try posting a complete spec list of what you think you would want and then people can get a better idea of what you are planning and can tell you what they think you should change

dirtjunkie

Chimp
May 9, 2008
Check out chainreactioncycles.com, they have some killer deals on frames and custom built wheels. Staying under 1400 is not hard to accomplish at all.

sjl08

Chimp
Mar 17, 2008
Sounds like you want to build a night train save swapping the Argyle for a Marzocchi.

I was in the same boat as you several months ago. I like to have a bike I put my stamp on or that's a little different than the rest. And its pretty cool to ride a frame that not many in your area have or have seen.

But I ended up getting a good deal on an 08 night train complete and love it. You can upgrade/change parts to make "yours" as you go and have spare parts to boot by buying a complete at good price. I've done a little of that myself.

I haven't researched it but I bet the t-bird, train and betty all have the same geometry. Its probably just a frame only/build kit and decal difference.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
I just ordered the 09 night train in black&purple. the only thing that sucks about it is the eastern choker stem which i have heard nothing but bad things about, but already have the kink stem on order in purple. :monkey:

Mar 17, 2009
Sac town!
Thanks for your opinions guys! Much appreciated.

For now, I ordered a 09 P1. Probably closer to Xmas I will actually build a bike. But I needed something now:pirate2: So once I get more into it, I will probably build something sick

Thanks again guys! :busted:

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
I rode an 08 P1 a little less than a year and just finished up a custom and much nicer build 2 weeks ago. I swapped small things like the brake, bottom bracket, bar, seat, and pedals over to the new one. I was in the same boat as you and it saved quite a bit of cash and headaches just being able to swap things over. You may also find that some bmx parts actually cost a little less so may check that route out too... good luck, the 09 P1's look pretty sweet, nicer than the 08's too.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2009
Sac town!
Yeah thats what my buddy has, is a 08 P1. I like it, its a nice feeling bike, I mean its no top of the line bike, and its a little on the heavy side. But I can do SOOO MUCH more on it then my BMX stuff, especially bunny hopping!

Thats the plan is when I do build a bike, I will know whats going on, what to buy, and for sure what I need. So should be a fun deal. :D