Quantcast

building a frame

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
so im gonna be building up a frame here at UBI and need some suggestions regaurding some specs.
heres what i got so far.
Max Tire clearance:2.5"
Effective top tube: 23"/584.2mm
Seat Tube Length:10"
Head tube angle: 70
Seat Tube angle:70
chainstay length:15.75"/400mm or less
bb height:13"
standover:25"
wheelbase:41.7"/1059mm
head tube length: 5 "
rear hub spacing: 135x10mm
disc specific
around a 490mm fork length.

im 6' 1" so yeah i like the top tube length.
anything else? suggestions? additional measurements?

edited

Last edited:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Yeah, you might want to steepin it up a bit. Maybe 70 or 71.

If it was me (I did this once), I'd have a shorter seat tube (mine is 9.5" center to center) and a higher BB (13 or maybe even 13.5).

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Please post lots of pics and details about the build. I am thinking of purchasing all the stuff (pipe bender, welder etc.) so I'd love to know how it goes for you.

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Congrats on building your own frame!

I'm not sure what your skillset is but if you've never fabricated anything before I suggest the following, irrespective of geometry:

Get comfortable TIG welding thinwall tubing. Very comfortable. Hopefully you can already TIG weld.

Practice mitering thinwall tubing. (No welding experience+sloppy fit-up= very poor results)

Clean your tubes.

Proper weld sequence

Most important: Have Fun!

Please post pictures of your project when you're finished.

Good luck!
GM

yamaguy01

Chimp
Jun 2, 2008
Fussa, Japan
Be sure to tack every joint together to prevent the cooling of the welds from warping your tube angles. Not sure if it's as big a factor with TIG but it sure makes a big difference with MIG. I'm sure if you plan on tackeling this type of project you must have alot of experience TIG welding so I will just wish you luck and ask to see pictures when you get the chance.

Dave

Hup

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Good luck with the frame. I really want to take the UBI frame building course. Please post a photo of the frame when it is done and let us know what you thought of the course.

J

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
so i got the life size drawing of the frame done up.
HA:70
STA:72
BB:12.75
Chainstay min:16"
and the seatstays and top tube are gonna be in line with each other, so the top tube is realllly low.