Quantcast

Building a new bike!

Backyard DJ

Chimp
Nov 11, 2009
Hey guys, hoping to build another DJ bike for myself, this time from new parts. I like my current one but I think it would be better just to build another. Looks like it will be costing me around $900, so anything I should know, this is the first bike I have built before.

Minden

Chimp
Jun 1, 2008
$900 for a complete bike with all new parts? I'll give it a day on your new plastic frame... not trying to be dick or anything but that sounds like about a third of a bike if you're going to buy all the parts

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
$900 for a complete bike with all new parts? I'll give it a day on your new plastic frame... not trying to be dick or anything but that sounds like about a third of a bike if you're going to buy all the parts
Are people really spending $2700 on there dj hardtails?:think:
I know Blackmarket has there complete 357 for around $700 new
It would be hard to buy all the parts at retail price without any hook ups
But you can find quite a few nice completes for under 900$ easy

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
You could build up a nice bike for $900 if you get a bunch of used parts.
You want something really nice, top of the line, you can drop $700 for just a frame.

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
you can build up a perfectly good 26" jump bike for $900. I just picked up a versus jab frame brand new on the cheap (look on ebay i think there are more left from the guy i got mine from). sure, mine is gonna get some used things like brakes and most of the cockpit items, but all the main componentry will be new.
i would rather be out riding my "budget" bike than at work paying for slightly better parts

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
you can build up a perfectly good 26" jump bike for $900.
I just built this Riot for $932 (according to my spreadsheet), and could easily have saved another $100 or more if I had reused more parts from the last bike. I had the fork hanging in the garage, and had couple of other small things around, but some smart shopping can get you a lot of bike for a little cash.

Granted, not all the parts are jump specific or high end, but it will get the job done for me.

Minden

Chimp
Jun 1, 2008
Are people really spending $2700 on there dj hardtails?:think:
I know Blackmarket has there complete 357 for around $700 new
It would be hard to buy all the parts at retail price without any hook ups
But you can find quite a few nice completes for under 900$ easy
I was basing my reply on his hopes to build his own with new parts, although I was thinking if he were to buy the parts from shops and websites, not new parts from classifieds... but it still would be hard to pull off a complete bike for that much.
Also, the 357 is $1050 if we're going by US dollars, I just checked the website.

Last edited: