Quantcast

Building up a MinuteMan

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I don't have the bike (yet) but I might consider buying it for next summer. The thing is I'd need a stronger bike to do stuff I'm afraid to do with my FSR-XC. I probably won't have the $$ for a complete brand new FR bike but I could have a plan to cut down the price.

Here it is: I have a brand new X-Vert Super on my FSR-XC but I still have an older SX-R. So I could rebuild my FSR with the SX-R to be more XC oriented and buy a MinuteMan w/o a fork and put the X-Vert on it.

Would it work well in a 26/26 configuration or does the MM need a longer fork to keep a good geometry? Would the HA be too steep with a 4" fork? If it is, would it be OK with a 26/24 configuration?

Thanks!

If you own a MM (KonaDude, etc), I'd like to hear about the tires/fork combination you have.

Oh Yeah! Selling the FSR is not a valid option! ;)

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
Alright... My Minute man (the 2001 Red, 23" top tube) is built up with a 5" travel Z.1 MCR QR.20 and a 24" rear wheel. This setup makes it quite slack. I'm estimating around 68 degrees for the head tube. With a 4" fork and a 26" rear wheel, you're looking at around 70 degrees (as Balfa specs it on their site, I think that's for a 4" fork). That won't be too steep, it should be just right for dirt jumping and urban, along with some hard core trail riding. Sometimes I long for the quicker handling of a 4" fork, but I don't mind it much.

A Minute Man with an X Vert Super would be a killer machine! 4" of travel is great for a hardtail. It takes 24 or 26" wheels, and if you go 24 you can fit a 3.0" tire back there. Big tire clearance with a 26" wheel too.

IF you need to know anything else about the MM, just post a message here (I do check here sometimes) or PM me.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Thanks a lot for the fast answer!

What about the peoples who put JrT's, SuperT's or even Monsters on their MM? :confused: How can this work if a 4" fork can be alright on the bike too?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by FlipSide
Thanks a lot for the fast answer!

What about the peoples who put JrT's, SuperT's or even Monsters on their MM? :confused: How can this work if a 4" fork can be alright on the bike too?
I guess some people just like really slack head angles (they don't climb, so they don't notice the front end wander all over)...

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
Some people put those forks on them and end up with a 66 or 67 degree head tube angle... That's pretty average for a DH bike so it isn't bad at all.

So, With a 4" fork it is steeper, but by no means too steep.

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
i recently built up a mm with a z3 QR20 at 4" and it kicks arse. i have 26" panaracer fire's on rhynolites, singlespeed 34/16 with a planetx full monty rear hub & profiles and it rips it up. GREAT dirt jumping/urban bike. i personally LOVE the way it feels with a 4" fork and was never one for choppercore head angles. in conclusion get a mm...now. hehe