Quantcast

Built a small tabletop studio, shot a frame...

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
i've only heard of ghost bikes one time, from someone posting a link about them.

this past weekend, i got to meet a rider riding a brand new ghost DH but w/ a boxxer WC w/ graphics on them to match the rest of the frame's green/white/black theme, instead of the fox 40 (which i think comes stock on the bike based from their site).

real slick looking bike. one of the nicest i've seen in person, really.

didnt conversate with the guy. but he was ripping it up, so im assuming it worked well for him.

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
I wonder if you met David as he lives in California now.

maybe so. i ride 3x a week, and i've yet to come across one until this past weekend. thing looked brand new w/ boxxer decals that matched the rest of the bike. know the general area he lives in? im out in the bay area, and where i rode (pacifica), is one of the most popular legal spots for fr/dh riding out here. shoulda stopped him and asked him more about the bike, but i generally try not to keep conversating to a minimum so i dont interfere w/ other's riding.

on a side note, very nice product pics. have any product info/prices (in particular the dm stem)?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Looks like near the HT of frame it was set on white and it pulled black from a wall or card maybe? I would probably make the entire downtube match on black section. Then that highlite either continue it all the way down or get rid of it. Have 3 road bikes to shoot today YEAH.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Looks like near the HT of frame it was set on white and it pulled black from a wall or card maybe? I would probably make the entire downtube match on black section. Then that highlite either continue it all the way down or get rid of it. Have 3 road bikes to shoot today YEAH.
Pretty close actually. I made a acrylic tabletop that is 60"x48". It was neither deep enough, nor wide enough to shoot a frame well. Oh and I'm not a photographer, i've shot some product and vehicles before but hardly a photographer. Print design is my game. But I just ordered some continious knighting and soft boxes so i'll give it a go with your suggestions.

MM_Freak

Chimp
Oct 28, 2008
Western Mass.
on a side note, very nice product pics. have any product info/prices (in particular the dm stem)?
The stem your referring to is the Candy Components Knucklehead direct mount stem. 45mm/50mm/55mm adjustable 1" of rise. I've been running their Flapjack pedals all summer and I couldn't be happier with them. I bought their DM stem and handle bar too but for health reasons I can no longer DH but my friend has been running the bar/stem combo on his Sunday and from the feedback hes given me the setup is KILLER! The new Candy Components web site should be up sometime soon but till then you can get more info/pics on their facebook page. They are really good about answering questions fast.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/candy-components/106750209346229

Awesome job on the pics too. Its hard to capture how nice the machining and finish is on there products is but you did a killer job.

Last edited:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Great shots. What are you using for lighting?

Only critique I have (and I am speaking as a total amateur) is some of the pics with hard light are a touch blown out on the highlights. Like the light needs a touch of softening so it doesn't hammer the facets so much? This may be a post process thing. Some of the pics of stems are where this is the most noticeable. Maybe a big (bigger?) umbrella or softbox might help?

Other than that - awesome. Super sharp and great color.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Originally I shot with 2 spiderlite setup's. 16"x24" soft boxes. One of which decided to nuke itself and melt the inner diffuser on the tungsten lighting. I am equally bothered by the hotspots on the stems (the ones on the bars don't bother me as much), but as someone whose AD'd hundreds of product shoots and shot some Im still involved in that learning curve side of things.

We had a studio at my last job and I spent a lot of time in it shooting stainless steel products and got good at dealing with light reflections, fast forward some 3.5 years without so much as a minute studio time and it's a big catch-up game.

MM_Freak

Chimp
Oct 28, 2008
Western Mass.
is that a dw link
That would be their own design. A Moto GP Floating Suspension system. This is how it was explained over on MTBR.

"nothing like a DW or Maestro set up. the geometry and link movement are way different and thus creating a different wheel/axle path for sure. the bikes have a rearward path at the first part of the stroke (the travel depends on the bike) followed by a vertical axle path and finally the axle comes closer to the center of the BB shrinking the wheelbase at just before bottom out. this is for when you g-out through a berm or landing and the short wheelbase and BB height will allow you to accelerate the bike like a hard tail. All the while the floating shock keeps the travel bottomless feeling and glued to the ground."

Last edited: