Quantcast

built up my 29er SS finally.

-Devil-

Chimp
Jun 27, 2008
West Monroe, LA
first off, thanks again MMcG for putting up with all my questions and such.

now onto the pics ... yes i know it is a 'cheap' build up ... figured i would get it going to see if i like it, then invest more money into it if i do ... and so far i would say the 29er has me hooked ... haha

soul cycles dillinger 29er frame.

misc parts.

-Devil-

Chimp
Jun 27, 2008
West Monroe, LA
then just a cruise around the yard

got a few things here and there to tweak and retorque. may pull the tensioner out and shorten the chain up a little bit more ... set it up with a 32:18 ratio for now with 175mm cranks.

taking it out to a local trail first thing in the morning!

-Devil-

Chimp
Jun 27, 2008
West Monroe, LA
yeah i can. at the time i didn't realize how to do it. it didn't hit me till afterwards how to adjust it with the EBB .. so when i go back through to make sure everything is still tight going to pull it off. and remove another link or two and adjust it with the ebb ... most likely.

may leave it there to make removing the rear wheel a little easier (it may actually make it harder having it in there tho hah)

going to try out a shorter stem and maybe lower the bar some as well to see if it feels better that way. and may have to lower the seat just a little bit more so i can stand up and pedal without hitting the seat

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Ditch that tensioner - it'll make things more efficient when you pedal. Also, if the rear cog in that Forte Single Speed kit is really thin - I'd recommend getting a Surly Single Speed Cog or something equivalent that is nice and wide. It will save your cassette body from getting gouged by the cog when you apply lots of force to those cranks/pedals and chain.

Lookin good Freddy! :thumb:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Also - You may want to try some flat bars instead of the risers, or alternatively, if you do decide you need a shorter stem, they often have zero rise to them, and thus your riser bars will be fine to get the bars where you need/want em. Rock on!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Doh - one last thing. A SRAM 8 speed chain will be a better choice for single speed use. Hang onto that 9 speed though in case you go with some gears on her.

Mark

-Devil-

Chimp
Jun 27, 2008
West Monroe, LA
the cog is about the thickness of the normal front sprockets on a triple crankset ...

picked it up mostly to see if i was going to like the SS setup, (same with a lot of the parts) good to know about what it can do to the rear hub, will prob upgrade that setup first ... and get rid of the tensioner now that i know how to adjust it correctly ... (and start saving up for a better quality wheelset)

i have flipped the stem over so it sits lower, and tried the shorter one on there, still not sure which one i like more .. will just have to put some miles on it and figure out ...

-Devil-

Chimp
Jun 27, 2008
West Monroe, LA
finally found a place with the surley ones ... they are a little bit cheaper so will prob go ahead with them ... will order it prob in the next week ... and redo the chain at the same time ...

already pricing out another wheelset haha .. and considering pulling my hydro brakes and saddle off my other bike and putting them on this one .. i am enjoying it so much.

-Devil-

Chimp
Jun 27, 2008
West Monroe, LA
not that i am aware of. if they do though i would pick one up to put on this one ... the fork i have on it now was included when i purchased the frame (used).

hoping it won't rain tomorrow so i can put some more miles on it on a local trail again hah ... maybe by the end of the week will be picking up one of the better cogs ... and in a few months a better wheelset and tire choice.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
also didn't see anyone say, but you're hands/fingers will love you more if you lower your brake levers a bit. maybe more of a 45* angle. instead of having to move your fingers up over the lever.

-Devil-

Chimp
Jun 27, 2008
West Monroe, LA
also didn't see anyone say, but you're hands/fingers will love you more if you lower your brake levers a bit. maybe more of a 45* angle. instead of having to move your fingers up over the lever.
yeah i adjusted their location on its first ride ... thats just where i placed them while building it. they are not quite at a 45* angle .. but i got short fingers ... but still in a better loc then where they are shown in those pics.

-Devil-

Chimp
Jun 27, 2008
West Monroe, LA
ok got the chain redone. heh one link and the chain had to much slack in it with the EBB all the way forward, remove a link and it was almost to short is that typical? or is it because of the chain i am using? (pc971)

i think i have the chainline as straight as possible but it still looks a little off to me, what would you say?

and for those who mentioned the brake levers and such ... they are reset .. along with the stem and such ... i am considering one of those handlebars that is more curved ... (but that is after a new rear sprocket and wheelset)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
chainline looks pretty good to my eyes. Regarding it being almost too tight......did you leave the EBB in the forward position or did you also rotate the ebb to get things right......as for chainline you can move the ebb inward or outward as you need to to get it straight. Some SS spacer kits also provide various sized spacers to help with that, but it looks like your kit came with all the spacers the same size eh?

You still may want to go with an 8 speed chain instead of the PC 971. It might help a bit. Also, you should have received a droput without a derailleur hanger with the frame. Use that one instead so that you can protect the geared dropout a bit (just in case).

Last edited:

-Devil-

Chimp
Jun 27, 2008
West Monroe, LA
the EBB is right now, rotated almost completly to the back poss ... and downwards just a little bit.

the spacers with the kit had like 4 that are smaller and then the rest were larger. there is a small one just inside the sprocket then the rest are large. so that i could tighten it all down.

i tried to leave it in the forward poss first, but the chain was just a bit to slack ... couldn't pull it off with my hands but when pedaling it would try to skip on me. so i removed one more link and now it is snug (maybe 1/4" of movement when i push down on the chain)

yeah i forgot about that other dropout ... next time i take it apart will put it on there.

-Devil-

Chimp
Jun 27, 2008
West Monroe, LA
http://www.webcyclery.com/product.php?productid=16941&cat=441&page=1

would that work to add to my chain so i could move the EBB a little bit more? and make the back wheel easier to take on and off again hah! ... right now i more or less have to move the EBB and take off the wheel then put wheel back on and re adjust the ebb to tighten chain back up.

and as far as the 8 speed chain would that just be one that is thicker and more durable? ...

just checking to see what i am looking for and getting into haha

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
http://www.webcyclery.com/product.php?productid=16941&cat=441&page=1

would that work to add to my chain so i could move the EBB a little bit more? and make the back wheel easier to take on and off again hah! ... right now i more or less have to move the EBB and take off the wheel then put wheel back on and re adjust the ebb to tighten chain back up.

and as far as the 8 speed chain would that just be one that is thicker and more durable? ...

just checking to see what i am looking for and getting into haha
No that half link won't work with your 9 speed chain.

Just install that SS rear droput and you should be golden. Let the wheel drop a bit, then move it forward a bit and then remove it.

-Devil-

Chimp
Jun 27, 2008
West Monroe, LA
okay, just wasnt sure if i had the chain to tight ... everything still rotates freely .. but the chain doesn't hardly bounce at all ...

will put the SS dropout on there when i put the new cog on ... should i use a drop of loctite on those bolts? .. or on the ones for the EBB for that matter? .. got em torqued in decently .. (no torque wrench so i haven't a clue if it is in spec tho hah)

-Devil-

Chimp
Jun 27, 2008
West Monroe, LA
just got back from Lincoln Parish Park in ruston ... took the SS ... was almost scared i was goin to be walking most of it ... i managed to ride up every hill i had to .. twice (did two laps) ... only walked a few spots that were a little more technical then i am ready for.

that trail was the main one i was thinking about when i kept having thoughts of adding gears to the bike, now that i know i can do it ... i am thinking about putting the money elsewhere ...

it seemed easier to climb the hills on this bike, then on my old 26er with gears... i am guessing the weight of it, and the tire size has some to do with it tho...

it is a whole lot more stable going downhill to tho ... but after a few good runs, i am considering a suspension fork at least...

now i need to find a tire that grips a little better in loose and muddy stuff ... (got wtb moto raptors now) ...

and gonna break down and get clipless .. kept getting bounced off the pedals, which lead to me walking through some parts.

BlackHornet

Chimp
Feb 25, 2008
hey devil, where did you get that build from? was that frame expensive at all? would you mind PMing me the price and place you got that frame and wheelset?

-Devil-

Chimp
Jun 27, 2008
West Monroe, LA
you can get the frame from ridesoul.com ... for around 350ish ... and the fork from them as well ... the rest of the build were just random parts mostly from ebay ... the wheelset is off of a motobecane 29er .. wouldn't reccomend them. replacing them soon on mine ...

-Devil-

Chimp
Jun 27, 2008
West Monroe, LA

as it sits currently, with the new bars, stem, brakes, saddle, wheelset.

going to find a smaller saddle bag soon, just tossed that big thing on real quick before the last ride to put a tube in, just in case.

Feb 1, 2008
mavisdale,va
hmmmm.....i dunno -dev-.....looks suspiciously like a bike i seen before elsewhere....=P
er,i mean,peekaboo,i see ya!-lol,i didn't know ya wuz here too!small world (still dig that bike BTW).