Quantcast

bullit vs. dirtbag for freeridng and jumping

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
saw a guys post on here for trading a dirtbag for a bullit and I am tempted to trade for a dirtbag. I am a bigger dude weighing in at 225 and 6'2" the bullit is fun but what do ya'll think. I freeride and jump..........Thanks.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
see if you cant ride his bike for a bit and get a feel for it to see if you like it..

single pivot vs 4bar...completely different ride. personally, i would take 4bar over anything, but thats because its my preference :) plus i would support transition over SC in a heartbeat...but again, preference....

your best bet is to test ride it....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
seand said:
see if you cant ride his bike for a bit and get a feel for it to see if you like it..

single pivot vs 4bar...completely different ride. personally, i would take 4bar over anything, but thats because its my preference :) plus i would support transition over SC in a heartbeat...but again, preference....

your best bet is to test ride it....

Uhem.... Both bikes are single pivots in reality, just with shocks driven differently.

Also always be careful in trades. I wouldnt trade on the net unless i could see the other item in person, but thats just me.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
actually, transition falls under faux-bar, not 4bar..but whatever.

and no, they are not both single pivot in reality...in reality, they are completely different linkage designs with completely different handling...

i agree, dont trade on the net..bad stuff comes from that.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
As Zedro would say, LOOK AT THE PIVOTS. The dirtbag is a single pivot, a la kona.... it has a lower pivot than the bullit, so it would ride differently, and the shock choice would make a huge difference on both bikes.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
there is a pivot point where the chainstays connect to the front triangle, and one where the rockers connect to the seat stays...

are you going to tell me the bike does not pivot on those pivot points? would be a very strange ride if the bike only pivoted in one spot...

same with konas, banshees, treks, giants...the list goes on.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
I didnt disagree that a bullit and a faux-bar would ride different. They do.... Ive owned both.

I did dissagree with your statement that one was a SP and one wasnt, we all know that the "kona" 4-bar is really a SP bike, with a lower pivot and a rocker that actuates the shock.... ,but whatever... right?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
seand said:
there is a pivot point where the chainstays connect to the front triangle, and one where the rockers connect to the seat stays...

are you going to tell me the bike does not pivot on those pivot points? would be a very strange ride if the bike only pivoted in one spot...

same with konas, banshees, treks, giants...the list goes on.
if you un bolted the seat stays from a Faux-bar the swingarm pivots on a single point, just like the Bullit. Thats what "SP" is. It has nothing to do with the way the shock is driven. My DHR is a single pivot with a linkage driven shock.... could I then consider this a 4-bar?

this whole de-railment is funny......they are both good bikes. i have rode both and I am your size. I liked the transition better, i felt it had a lower top tube. and it was a great free-ride bike. Plus, why not support local companies that make good product. :)

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
bibs said:
this whole de-railment is funny......they are both good bikes. i have rode both and I am your size. I liked the transition better, i felt it had a lower top tube. and it was a great free-ride bike. Plus, why not support local companies that make good product. :)
The drugs must have worn off... your making complete sence.....

I'd also support the Trans boys over SC any day.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
Kona is a 4-bar...

Four Bar Linkage
Specialized Bicycles developed one of the most popular and widely used four bar designs called the FSR/Horst Link design. This design has been licensed by many other companies such as Intense and Norco, and has been proven to be a great all around full suspension design for cross-country race bikes to downhill bikes. This design is a fully active, and generally plush feeling design that is minimally affected by pedaling forces, so it has minimal bob or pedal feedback. The FSR/Horst Link design uses a parallelogram type linkage with four pivots so the rear wheel move in a near verticle path as the suspension compresses. Other companies use a four bar linkage design that differ from the FSR/Horst Link by positioning the chain stay pivot in a position that doesn’t interfere with Specialized’s patent. These include designs from Ellsworth, Titus, and Kona.

copied from: http://www.rhythmcycles.com/xcart/customer/learn_defs.php

and I suspect that Transition is a 4 bar as well, as their marketing states.

oly said:
The drugs must have worn off... your making complete sence.....

I'd also support the Trans boys over SC any day.
yea, they did and im going to take some more now and watch Shrek 2......i need to ride..and not argue about whats what.....and how many whos a whats it has. just answer the poor ans question and get over it.... :think:

and yea, those are good guys!

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
pangeist said:
saw a guys post on here for trading a dirtbag for a bullit and I am tempted to trade for a dirtbag. I am a bigger dude weighing in at 225 and 6'2" the bullit is fun but what do ya'll think. I freeride and jump..........Thanks.
At 6'2" I think you're a bit tall for the medium transition dirtbag

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
oly said:
Uhem.... Both bikes are single pivots in reality, just with shocks driven differently.

Also always be careful in trades. I wouldnt trade on the net unless i could see the other item in person, but thats just me.
i cant beleive that you actually said that.

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
Mine....Specialized, old gt's ellsworth, and looking at my Kona I'd actually call it a fourbar just by looks alone, not ad hype. My bighit compared to the kona are essentially the same, save the pivot locations. They don't ride anything close to the same.

santacruzer87

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
On my bicycle
pangeist said:

I think that bullits rea pretty sick bikes. They also have a little more travel than the dirtbag. One thing to remember. Bullits are funky pedaling bikes.

If you are big into freeriding I would go for the dirtbag, I think it will jump better too.

Finally I think that transition has the best crash replacement policy or at least they get around to replacing a crashed bike the fastest. One of my friends broke his super 8 a while ago and it took forever to get it fixed.

-Ryan

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
The dirtbag isn't a 4-bar bike because the wheel is bolted onto the swingarm, which pivots around one main pivot. That's the definition of a single pivot. The other bars only transmit the forces to the shock, but they have no effect on the wheel path.

So, the dirtbag isn't a 4-bar, neither is a kona, banshee, or trek. They all have single pivot swingarms with linkage to transmit forces to the shock. None of them are remotely similar to the "FSR" or 4-bar linkage of a specialized, ellsworth, etc.

However, both the dirtbag and the bullit are nice frames. I haven't owned either but I've ridden them, and as long as they have a well-set-up shock they pedal fine enough and have good feeling travel.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
Yes, they're single pivots but sheeze! :rolleyes:

It depends on how you define a single-pivot. Technically, if you only talk axle path, then your right. But most people regard single pivot as a rear triangle moving in an arc around a pivot, ala Bullit. The Kona, Transitions, etc. use 4 bars to create a moving paralellogram that give the bike a much different feel than the triangle single pivots. So if you don't want to confuse the hell out of everyone by argueing that Kona, Transistion, etc are single-pivots, just call them faux 4-bars and live in peace.

They don't look anything like an ASX or Bullit, so faux 4-bar at least gives people a term they can use to describe suspension. There is more to it than just the axle path.

I think when most people want to talk about true 4-bar, they say Horst or FSR anyway.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
zane said:
The dirtbag isn't a 4-bar bike because the wheel is bolted onto the swingarm, which pivots around one main pivot. That's the definition of a single pivot. The other bars only transmit the forces to the shock, but they have no effect on the wheel path.

So, the dirtbag isn't a 4-bar, neither is a kona, banshee, or trek. They all have single pivot swingarms with linkage to transmit forces to the shock. None of them are remotely similar to the "FSR" or 4-bar linkage of a specialized, ellsworth, etc.

However, both the dirtbag and the bullit are nice frames. I haven't owned either but I've ridden them, and as long as they have a well-set-up shock they pedal fine enough and have good feeling travel.

OMG I cant believe you! Or something like that. :)

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Big B said:
It depends on how you define a single-pivot. Technically, if you only talk axle path, then your right. But most people regard single pivot as a rear triangle moving in an arc around a pivot, ala Bullit. The Kona, Transitions, etc. use 4 bars to create a moving paralellogram that give the bike a much different feel than the triangle single pivots. .
The only thing that makes them feel different is the main pivot placement, NOT the fact that there's other links in the suspension. Most triangle single pivots have a higher main pivot, giving them a different feel than the low-pivot "faux 4-bar" bikes. That's the only thing that's different. Those extra links don't do anything but affect how the leverage ratio changes throughout the travel, which can be accomplished just as easily on a single pivot.

Just as a note, I'm not arguing that either design is better. The largest factor is the shock you run with either design, and a good shock will make either suspension feel awesome.

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
BigB, you know you liked pedalling the bighit up Fromme!! It only weighs 49 lbs.
Your AC1 hurt me too. I think I'm just outta shape:) Hey man, we gotta hook up at Whistler this weekend. I'll be riding all Sat. and Sunday.

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
oh yeah and the dirtbag has a Romic, I am used to the 5th but might like something a bit more there. The 5th just seems to be so non existent. I like the idea of a bit more feedback from a shock, would this be the case for a Romic?

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
largextracheese said:
BigB, you know you liked pedalling the bighit up Fromme!! It only weighs 49 lbs.
Your AC1 hurt me too. I think I'm just outta shape:) Hey man, we gotta hook up at Whistler this weekend. I'll be riding all Sat. and Sunday.
Duuuude, sweet. I'm planning on being up there too! I hooked up with Sam (the Ellesworth rider we met coming off Upper Oil Can) last week and he's got a condo for Fri night. I have to be back home by 6pm on Sunday, so I'm not sure if I'll ride Sunday or not. But I'll be up there Sat. fer sure!

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
I looked up the d-bag and my only concern is the top tube difference. Its a little shorter on the d-bag, but I like the taller BB height and slightly longer wheelbase. And its small local company, sometimes it seem SC has gotten too big for their britches.

pangeist said:
I looked up the d-bag and my only concern is the top tube difference. Its a little shorter on the d-bag, but I like the taller BB height and slightly longer wheelbase. And its small local company, sometimes it seem SC has gotten too big for their britches.[/QUOT

Its a good bike, when The GHY bikeshop opens, you can test ride one there. If you ride the shore alot, higher (to a point) BB is a good thing. The guys at transition actually ride their bikes and know what to do to make them work great and ride good!

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
If both bikes are in similar condition I'd go for the dirt bag. I can't say exactly how different the shocks will feel, but I know many people who like their romics.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Bla bliggity blong blong bla doo. Fla fliggety frim fram from shmoo. Ga gillagully gong grangratron. Shon filly fong boolibong. Flim flam bloogity bloo.
my 2 cents