Quantcast

Bunny Hopping

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Most of this stuff is all balence and practice. I find it's best not to think about what you are doing too much.

You might want to get some sort of video recorder even a cheap digital camera that can record small video will do.
Reord from the sideon and do a bunny hop. It's a lot easier to see whats happening, your feeling can be completly wrong.

I find I can hop a lot higher when there is something to jump.

Another thing I have been doing is finding a row of parking spaces with a curb at the end and manualing up to the curb then jumping on to it gradually increasing the number of spaces I manual. Improves both manuals and hops.

I would call pulling up the front wheel and then lifting the back a bunny hop. More common to use jump, as in I just jumped the log.

Another potenial for different meanings is endo.

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
Originally posted by PaulE

The nollie, where you lift the back wheel, followed by the front - not sure if this has any "use" other than looking flash and Tech though!

well, if you are doing something like a gap to nosebump or something

also looking cool

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
Man, I cannot get the seat of my bike up between my legs when I hop. I have to work on getting further behind my bike I guess. I think that's what's keeping me from getting past the two foot mark.

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
Try hopping onto stuff instead of over stuff, I find this is a lot easier. I jumped onto a 1meter high wall yesterday, while I can only jump over a 50cm rope and not much higher.
The technique is different although, but it's a good practice I think.

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
I think jumping over stuff is harder because you have to hold the bike up in the air for longer so that you actually clear whatever you're jumping over. When going onto something, you just need to get it high enough, and then you land almost immediately. Stairs are my favorite thing to jump onto.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Not only that but when you are jumping over stuff timing is much more important especially when you are going at speed.

Moogie

Monkey
Nov 27, 2001
SEATTLE, WASHINGTON
i agree, timing is everythin when your hoppin.

o yea and bunny hoppin vs. j-hoppin, its the same thing, so stop whining. you just have to get both wheels in the air at the same time without a ramp or jump. big whoop.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
I can probly do about 2.5 feet. I can do 2 feet and I don't think I can do 3, but I might be able to.

Sometime I need to build a hopping stand so I can measure. Really anything much more than about 2 feet and I'm a bit iffy, I think about it too much and psyche myself out so I mess up the timing.:rolleyes:

So is this supposed to be some sort of "mine's bigger" contest?:confused: 'Cause that would be lame. But it is interesting to see what other people can do. That is why we ride with other people right?:eek: :eek: :p

a while back, in fact probably a real long while back (more than a year) I wrote a detailed explanation of the technique involved in a bunnyhop.
so it is still in here somewhere,
maybe.
but I have to say the link you provided mudpuppy is by far the most detailed I have ever seen.
nice going.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by MojoJojo
I was bored with just gettin' out in front of the house practicing hops, so I made a "hoppin' height gage" out of 1" PVC with 3" vertical increments for the crossbar. Looks like a highjump rig for the Midget Olympics.:D :D :D
we made one of those a few years ago ourselves. right around '91 I think. I always sucked at hopping over just a bar or cable though. I need to be hopping onto something to get max height.