Quantcast

Burliest chainring...

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
Yo-

I know that MTB chains (especially the 9spd variety) are way too weak to handle anything close to "sprocket stalling" or bashing stuff, but this is one of those hypothetical questions anyway...

if you were to have to pick a 9spd-compatible chainring to run, and you knew you were going to run into stuff, and ya couldn't run a bashguard, what ring would it be? Does anyone make phat (5-10mm thick) rings with 9spd teeth? I'm thinking of something along the lines of a Profile fat sprocket (used by BMXers), but with 4-bolt x 104mm compatibility...

thanks!

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by Shibby
Yo-

I know that MTB chains (especially the 9spd variety) are way too weak to handle anything close to "sprocket stalling" or bashing stuff, but this is one of those hypothetical questions anyway...

if you were to have to pick a 9spd-compatible chainring to run, and you knew you were going to run into stuff, and ya couldn't run a bashguard, what ring would it be? Does anyone make phat (5-10mm thick) rings with 9spd teeth? I'm thinking of something along the lines of a Profile fat sprocket (used by BMXers), but with 4-bolt x 104mm compatibility...

thanks!
DUDE!

http://www.chainwheels.com/

This guy Colin is awesome. He is custom machining a bmx type chainring for me, a custom version of the Gladiator ring offered on the site.
I asked him for a 34t 3/8" thick ring with a 1/8" chain tooth profile, AND an engraved 1/4" thick bashring
All for $55 shipped.
He told me that ANY he can do just about ANYTHING one would want, tooth profile, thickness, tooth count, etc.
AND he does custom engraving of something in a standard windows font.
Not to mention his stock rings are killer.
:D

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
Hell yea! Thank YOU bomberz1qr20! I've been looking for a THICK 34t bmx ring for my minuteman. This is to good to be true!

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
seems like you could run a much fatter chain if someone would make a cassette replacement with fewer, fatter cogs.....
(and probably some voodoo with derailleur cages and spring strength.... might be cool)
O_D_D

Spike

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
Along with what Z1QR-20 said, I am a part-time employee of chainwheels.com If your really cool, I can get you some damn fine good deals!! Colin is THE MAN when it comes to chainwheel,bashguards,and chainguides.

If you want something, but don't have much dough(like me :) then send me an email or PM me.

~Spike

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by OldDickDynamite
seems like you could run a much fatter chain if someone would make a cassette replacement with fewer, fatter cogs.....
(and probably some voodoo with derailleur cages and spring strength.... might be cool)
O_D_D
Profile makes a 6 speed hub, but it just removes the lowest 2-3 cogs for a dishless wheel. It still uses standard spacing. THAT's what makes a thicker chain not work. The shifter/ derailleur/ cog spacing have to work as a system. AND the chain needs some kind of shifting enhanced design. BMX chains are heavy duty, but they have thick, flat plates. No shiftiness.

Add it all up and it means starting from scratch to make a heavy, durable 5-6 speed system.
New chain design, like a 1/8" that can shift with the:
New shifter for the:
New derailleur for the:
New cogset

Even in this enlightened mountain bike world, heavier with fewer gears is a hard sell.:rolleyes:

That's why I went single speed. Well a single speed/ mountain/ bmx thing. I'm a clumsy ass rider, and I'm big.

KMC 410 1/8" BMX chain with a ACS claws 17t freewheel driven by the above chainwheel on Azonic 454 cranks.

Don't think I'll break that!