Quantcast

Buying a new 29er/Voodoo fit questions

metalfingas

Chimp
May 25, 2010
Hi. I've been riding a RL monocog SS 29er for the past year. I bought it because it was cheap and I could see if I really liked the 29'' wheels. Well I did. A lot.

The RL was a large frame 19'' and I'm 5'11 about 165-170lbs.

I recently found a pretty decent deal on a built up 18" voodoo Aizan. Will this fit me well? I am worried about toe overlap issues and running a massive 120mm stem which may put me too far forward. I heard the the steep HT angle on the Voodoo bikes may make this fit a little awkward.

Any help would be appreciated.

miatagal96

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
A 1" difference in effective TT is pretty big. If it were me, I wouldn't go for it. I'd be squeamish at 1/2" difference if I felt like the 24.5" fit me well.

I have an 18" VooDoo Bizango (26" wheels, and 23" effective TT) and I'm 5'8" and I wouldn't want to go any smaller.

My advice, before you go for it, find a stock medium 29-er with a similar effective TT and try it, or find a friend who is willing to buy the VooDoo if it's too small for you.

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Good advice from Miatagal96. Your instincts are correct; that's very likely gonna be too small.
- Joe

metalfingas

Chimp
May 25, 2010
Word. I'm going to go check it out today. Even though it's a sweet deal, if it doesn't fit then it's not for me.

I'll have to find another good deal or drop a bit more loot on a Cannondale Flash.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
1" difference in TT is pretty huge.

I would suggest just buying a new frame with geometry closer to the MonoCog's geometry if you want something different.

To me a 1" shorter TT would not be any bargain at all -- it would be like being sent to Hell! You could make them fit the same by using a 1" longer (25mm longer) stem on the VooDoo but then your steering feel will be a lot different and your position relative to the front axle will be different too... that over-the-bars feeling will be more present on the short top tube, long stem VooDoo.

As an idea on new frames, Unreal Cycles has had some screaming deals on the On-One Inbred frame in the past. I got an Inbred frame plus On-One Smoothie headset from them for something like $225 about 1.5 years ago.

metalfingas

Chimp
May 25, 2010
Well I don't even know if the Monocog fit. I mostly ride/race road bikes. I do know a 17 Monocog was a bit small....maybe the large monocog is a bit big. I have no idea because it is the only thing I know. I'm going to check out the Voodoo today. I'll know as soon as I ride it.

metalfingas

Chimp
May 25, 2010
$1500. New England singletrack. I have a bud that works at a bike store. I was hoping to get a Cannondale flash 3....but they're (cannondale) out til August. :(

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Why are you both adamant and hesitant about the Flash 3? If you want it, why not just get it?

Also, if you really want that bike, why are you asking questions about Redline vs VooDoo?

I guess I don't know what you're after here. It feels a bit like you're setting up a game of Whack-a-Mole.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Where in New England are you?

If you are anywhere driving distance from the Providence Area - I recommend you visit the guys at Blackstone Cycles. Go there, talk with Brendan and Mike, and ride/drive out with a new Redline.:thumb:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Why are you both adamant and hesitant about the Flash 3? If you want it, why not just get it?

Also, if you really want that bike, why are you asking questions about Redline vs VooDoo?

I guess I don't know what you're after here. It feels a bit like you're setting up a game of Whack-a-Mole.
Easy there fella - no need to get up in the guy's grill or anything. :thumb:

metalfingas

Chimp
May 25, 2010
I have a Redline. **** is fun, but effin' heavy. My friends work at GearWorks in Leominster/Fitchburg MA. I can get the hookup on a Flash, but it won't be til August.

The reason I was asked about Redline v. Voodoo concerned the geometry. Read the thread.