Quantcast

Buying a new drivetrain - (ask me about being gay for SRAM & Race Face)

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
My bike is a creaking mess when I pedal and the gears slip up a lot so I've decided to invest in a new drivetrain. My current setup is from a 2004 P.3 so I'm ready for something fresh. I want to stay on a decent budget but I don't want crappy stuff either.

And I've never shopped for the components of a drivetrain so I want to make sure everything I have picked out here is compatible.

My crank arms are Truvativ Holzfeller and I would like to keep those, as nothing is wrong with them.

All of this will be going a 2006 Transition Preston FR.

Currently on Bike:

Front Derailleur: Shimano M-570 LX, top pull
Rear Derailleur: Shimano M-750 XT, short cage
Shift Levers: Shimano M-510 Deore
Cassette: Shimano HG-50 LX, 9-speed, 11x34t
Chain: Unknown type
Cranks: Truvativ Holzfeller 7050 ISIS spline, 170mm
Chainrings: Rockguard outer ring, 32Sx22S, 4 bolt 104/64mm compact
Bottom Bracket: Truvativ ISIS GigaPipe DH, 73mm shell width, 118mm spindle length, E-Type
Rear Hub: (for cassette reference - not changing hub) Shimano M-525

What I Want:

Front Derailleur: Sram X.7 (but which one from that drop down list?
Rear Derailleur: Sram X.7 (medium or long cage?)
Shift Levers: Sram X.7 Levers
Cassette: Sram PG-950 9 Speed 11x34t
Chain: Sram PC-951
Chainrings: Race Face Rings 4-Bolt 32Sx22S 104/64mm
Bottom Bracket: Race Face Evolve FR BB 68/73mm M12 Bolt

Aside from the shifting cables, I think that's it. The total cost as figured by JensonUSA.com is $273.90

Does everything on that list look okay?

Also, I have nowhere near the mechanical aptitude required to install all of this so I'll most likely just get a local shop to order everything and install it, as long as they can offer somewhat comparable pricing.

Jun 21, 2007
Boston
stick with the medium cage derailuer.. also check price point, they've had some killer deals on 07 and 06 sram stuff.

also, are you sure it's not your cranks/bb interface that is creaking? that sounds more likely to me.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
One of the pivots on my VP-Free is creaking like crazy - I thought it was the pedals and the BB so I replaced both but to no avail (fortunately I needed new ones anyway). Just thought I'd give you that heads up.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
It sounds like it's definitely coming from the crank and BB area but I figure a new BB should take care of that, right? If something does turn out to be wrong with the crank arms I'll replace them but I like my Truvativs and they're in good shape from what I can tell (i.e. no duct tape holding things together).

But either way, given the way gears skip and the overall abuse taken during 3 years of riding, I think a new drivetrain is in order. After that, I will be replacing other parts as I can.

Jun 21, 2007
Boston
yeah, if your shifting is all f'ed up then a new drivetrain might be inorder. did you check to make sure the derailuer hanger isn't bent? did you replace the derailuer cables?

those are the cheap things i'd look into first.

as far as the bb.. you might get lucky and find that it's just the bb that was smoked.. i thought the same thing on my bike this year, but turned out the crank arms were smoked.. the arms themselves looked fine, but it was the isis interface that got worn out..

starting with the bb might be a good idea but then again, if you gotta do bb and arms, you're probably better off getting an integrated unit with external bb bearings.. i wish i had done that.

check and see how easily your current cranks come off when you take out the crank arm bolt.. if it falls right off and slides back on all the way super smooth then chances are it's smoked.. it should be a pretty snug fit between the arms and the bb.

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
i recomend the x-9 rear mech and shifter, too. they do cost more, but they should last you through a couple seasons. my pair has lasted 3 seasons now, and is still going strong.

get a medium cage if you have 2 chainrings, and a long one if you have 3 chainrings. and of course, a short cage if you have 1 chainring up front.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
I went with the the XT Shadow RD med cage with, with all 08 XT cassette, shifters, etc. On my 07 Preston and it has been great so far for cranks I went with the Holzfellers OCT 170mm with the Howitzer Team BB its a real nice setup.. You list looks good, I would go with a diff BB.. As for a LBS should be like $50 to install that stuff.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Listen LBS make money on service and labor, they dont care where you get the parts from, and if they do dont give them your business go somewhere else thats all..

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
My bike is a creaking mess when I pedal and the gears slip up a lot so I've decided to invest in a new drivetrain. My current setup is from a 2004 P.3 so I'm ready for something fresh. I want to stay on a decent budget but I don't want crappy stuff either.

And I've never shopped for the components of a drivetrain so I want to make sure everything I have picked out here is compatible.

My crank arms are Truvativ Holzfeller and I would like to keep those, as nothing is wrong with them.

All of this will be going a 2006 Transition Preston FR.

Currently on Bike:

Front Derailleur: Shimano M-570 LX, top pull
Rear Derailleur: Shimano M-750 XT, short cage
Shift Levers: Shimano M-510 Deore
Cassette: Shimano HG-50 LX, 9-speed, 11x34t
Chain: Unknown type
Cranks: Truvativ Holzfeller 7050 ISIS spline, 170mm
Chainrings: Rockguard outer ring, 32Sx22S, 4 bolt 104/64mm compact
Bottom Bracket: Truvativ ISIS GigaPipe DH, 73mm shell width, 118mm spindle length, E-Type
Rear Hub: (for cassette reference - not changing hub) Shimano M-525

What I Want:

Front Derailleur: Sram X.7 (but which one from that drop down list?
Rear Derailleur: Sram X.7 (medium or long cage?)
Shift Levers: Sram X.7 Levers
Cassette: Sram PG-950 9 Speed 11x34t
Chain: Sram PC-951
Chainrings: Race Face Rings 4-Bolt 32Sx22S 104/64mm
Bottom Bracket: Race Face Evolve FR BB 68/73mm M12 Bolt

Aside from the shifting cables, I think that's it. The total cost as figured by JensonUSA.com is $273.90

Does everything on that list look okay?

Also, I have nowhere near the mechanical aptitude required to install all of this so I'll most likely just get a local shop to order everything and install it, as long as they can offer somewhat comparable pricing.
Looks good, you can stick with the shimano front derailer though, you dont need to swap that one, I like my x7 stuff, and yes Shimano front derailers are compatible with sram front shifters, Its the rears that are different. Try stopping at your LBS, see what they can offer for a price match, labor wont be super cheap, Take intoi account your shipping and handleing costs with there pricing, also take into account warranty. Your going to get a better warranty from a shop than from Mail order by far, and if your from my area and want to Mail order, Contact me, Ill hook up a side job off hours.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Do most bike shops get frown upon bringing in a whole bunch of stuff for an install that you didn't buy from them?
Yes, we "Frown" on that, Labor isnt where the bigger money is, but yes we still install customers parts, Its normally a big pain in the A$$. nine times of ten, parts arent right, something is missing ETC. No we dont increase our labor when you bring your own parts, but we DO make sure you know we will NOT help with warranty on parts, just the install itself

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
I think I will upgrade to the X.9 stuff. Somehow I got that series and the X.0 stuff mixed up - and I didn't want to spend $250 on a derailleur.

I'll be doing all this by the end of October so I'll start calling some shops to see what kind of deals that can offer.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
pricepoint has a combo of 2007 x.7 shifters and a long cage (wish it were medium) for $89.

blueskycycling.com has the combo in a 2008 version for $99.

both places should have cheap deals on front derailleurs (x.7). unless your front is deraileur is beat to death, you can run the x.7 shifter with it.

buy some fresh cable and housing and do the work yourself. it is easy. if you aren't sure how to do it, get this.
Zinn and the Art of Mtb Maint.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I have not seen too many FD's that are so messed up they need to be replaced. I currently run an XT FD and X9 RD with no problems at all. The X9 stuff is great. When was the last time you adjusted the deraileurs? I bent my hangar and was skipping gears all the time. Until a replacement arrives, I just readjusted the RD to compensate for the bend. Works OK so far.

micahb

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Washington
i recomend the x-9 rear mech and shifter, too. they do cost more, but they should last you through a couple seasons. my pair has lasted 3 seasons now, and is still going strong.
read on a thread that current x-7's are a couple year old version of the x-9. if they last 3 years, why not just buy x-7's?

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
I spoke to one shop I like and they quoted me $400.00 for parts, labor to be determined once they get a feel for how much needs to be done. Still waiting for word from some other shops.

Jun 21, 2007
Boston
"sram hype" i don't know man.. i've ridden shimano my whole life and the sram 1:1 shifter/derailuer feels WAY more crispy then what i got..

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
"sram hype" i don't know man.. i've ridden shimano my whole life and the sram 1:1 shifter/derailuer feels WAY more crispy then what i got..

your crispy = my clunky.

Ive ridden Shimano, Campagnolo, Suntour, Sachs->Sachs/Huret->SRAM -- Shimano has stayed with or at the top all along.

Ive got SRAM, and they shift fine. They dont shift better or faster than my shimano, which dont clunk (aka 'positive shifting'). My shimaos DO need more attention (1nce a month or so, whoooptee) Clanking derailleurs in the past made me try something new.

As with 99% of our equipment, its all good, some is great, to each their own - but with the Shadow successfully eliminating the clunk, its back to Shimano for me! Im told the new shifters are sweet too, but I still favor that with SRAM (I have Attack triggers on my S derailleurs) until I get some airtime.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Hey, be careful trying to eliminate the creaks. You may be unpleasantly surprised. I replaced my BB to find out mine is perfect and the creak was in a pivot.

I do understand your need for a new drivetrain though. :) If you're feeling guilty about the buy/install options, you may want to call Performance (Springfield) as I have been told by a guy that works there that they price match all online retailers. Never checked it out though.

Also, I second the guy who said X7 is pretty much the same as X9, but both work and sometimes the price difference is pretty small. I broke two X9 rear derailleurs in a row before I wised up and bought X7. If you're interested, also check out Blackspire Super Pro rings and Chuck ring granny gear.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Hey, be careful trying to eliminate the creaks. You may be unpleasantly surprised. I replaced my BB to find out mine is perfect and the creak was in a pivot.

I do understand your need for a new drive train though. :) If you're feeling guilty about the buy/install options, you may want to call Performance (Springfield) as I have been told by a guy that works there that they price match all online retailers. Never checked it out though.

Also, I second the guy who said X7 is pretty much the same as X9, but both work and sometimes the price difference is pretty small. I broke two X9 rear derailleurs in a row before I wised up and bought X7. If you're interested, also check out Blackspire Super Pro rings and Chuck ring granny gear.
Ill have to rescind my X9 comment to an extent - get the shifters (esp the newer ones) or better yet, get the X0 shifter -- fantastic -- really the ****! Use an X7 or X9 mech with it -- I cant stomach trashing a 230$ X0 dérailleur (although I have only ever wrecked one in 12 years of 'serious' riding)

Just a random personal observation but I have seen ALOT of X7's swing into the spokes; I am not sure if its coincidence, but in the past 2 years I can recall 4 incidents where a dérailleur went into the spokes and got wrecked as well as wrecked spokes/wheels -- 3 were X.7's the last was my 96 XTR (which I rebuilt later that day and still use!). A