Quantcast

C-Ville Monkies

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd love to break out my new fuschia (that spelling doesn't look right) pearl izumi peleton one piece leotard jersey and my new $14,000 Jeff Jones TI frame, but I have to work. DAMN YOU WORK!

That sucks. I'm just excited to get a ride in my new Postal team TT skinsuit that I got for Christmas. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal compared to my full Discovery get up but this time around I got the fingerless gloves and shoe covers with Lance's actual sweat stains.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
this time around I got the fingerless gloves and shoe covers with Lance's actual sweat stains.
Lucky! I wanted his Jersey bottoms complete with sweat stains for x-mas but my wife was outbid at the last second. I bet the guy who got them rides at Walnut though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Lucky! I wanted his Jersey bottoms complete with sweat stains for x-mas but my wife was outbid at the last second. I bet the guy who got them rides at Walnut though.
Actually that was my friend Bob who got Lances dirty shorts, but he doesn't actually ride at Walnut, he just prances around the parking lot in his kit.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
...the 6th might work for me. I'll know by mon.

So, should I bring the Inbred, Sultan or RFX? :monkeydance:
I'd roll the sultan. It wold probably be the best compromise between climbing 2000 feet and eating up smallish rock gardens.

I'd be up for the ride too if'n I can make it.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
(and hopefully you are friendly to them, the more mtbers the better)
of course i am. i was/still am depending on who you ask, new. let me finalize what i want to say...

I prefer riding at ohill rather than walnut creek because of three things. first i can ride my bike to it with ease. two, i like the OVERALL challange of the trails, and three i would rather bike somewhere that is not a popular with all of the other bikers.

you cant argue with my oppinion. whatever. also i dont know why it matters which trails are better, to be honest we are lucky becuase all of the trails around are good, and we are lucky to be able to ride all of them within a few minutes of driving.

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
ohh man foky riding at ohill is so indie..... thats a dumb reason. I bet you listen to death cab while you ride.

PB rides at ohill everyday because its at his house. literally.

but rich i dissagree about that part on the outer loop. I think that the one really rocky straight up climp at ohill is more technical. Its almost retarted hard. but then again i alway find things harder going uphill.

so are your riding tommarow meaning december thirteeith at 4 westy?

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
mariachi=ss? I have the Inbred currently rigid w/ gears & flats
Usually, but she is currently set up 1x9. Sometimes rigid, sometimes reba, although every time I do the switch from rigid to sus I miss the steering control and effeciency more and more.

but rich i dissagree about that part on the outer loop. I think that the one really rocky straight up climp at ohill is more technical. Its almost retarted hard. but then again i alway find things harder going uphill.
Yeah, it is tough, but only 10ft. long and only difficult do to the chatter rocks so I don't think much of it. That climb at Walnut is much more sustained with more finesse and technical manuevering to clean. Quite steep with some log step ups thrown in for fun.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
well what about either daves dun/the powerline trail is tough. ive gotten to the top but its rare, and ive gotten to the top of the outer trail at walnut. i think that ohill uphill at the power lines is the hardest. and i dont mean the trail that was cut right next to it with no rocks...soooo retarted

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
well what about either daves dun/the powerline trail is tough. ive gotten to the top but its rare, and ive gotten to the top of the outer trail at walnut. i think that ohill uphill at the power lines is the hardest. and i dont mean the trail that was cut right next to it with no rocks...soooo retarted
I wonder if you are running the climb I am talking about, or just going the opposite direction and thinking of another climb. The powerline climb at O-Hill is tough no doubt, but it's cake next to what I am talking about. The original power line trail with the rocks is really just a sit and spin climb.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
...OK, I'm in. I'll bring the Sultan...what type of pedals do you run?

Also, what is the best way to get there? I think last time I took the parkway exit off of I64 near staunton...but I'm open to suggestions.

PS-maybe we should post up the ride on the VA (MTBR) board as well...see if we get any takers???

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
...OK, I'm in. I'll bring the Sultan...what type of pedals do you run?

Also, what is the best way to get there? I think last time I took the parkway exit off of I64 near staunton...but I'm open to suggestions.

PS-maybe we should post up the ride on the VA (MTBR) board as well...see if we get any takers???
I run eggbeaters. Any and all are welcome on my side too, so we should do a mtbr post. Nzumbi (kevin) and mtbdad (Joe) may want to go. We would have quite the 9er posse...muahaha. We can all meet right off the interstate (I-64) in Waynesboro and head on down. We could either meet at the Walmart exit or the Lyndhurst/Waynesboro exit right at the base of Afton on 64. Both will put us 15 minutes from the trailhead.

*EDIT: What wheels are you running on the Sultan? I'm trying to figure our my new wheel build project for the winter. Thinking i9 and ZTR's but certainly not set in stone.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
I run eggbeaters. Any and all are welcome on my side too, so we should do a mtbr post. Nzumbi (kevin) and mtbdad (Joe) may want to go. We would have quite the 9er posse...muahaha. We can all meet right off the interstate (I-64) in Waynesboro and head on down. We could either meet at the Walmart exit or the Lyndhurst/Waynesboro exit right at the base of Afton on 64. Both will put us 15 minutes from the trailhead.

*EDIT: What wheels are you running on the Sultan? I'm trying to figure our my new wheel build project for the winter. Thinking i9 and ZTR's but certainly not set in stone.

...cool, I run EB as well. Sounds like a plan....you want to do the post on mTBR since you're in the know?

I run I9 wheels w/ the WTB trail rims. Nice wheels. I don't like the fact that the Stans rims don't have eyelets. Talk to Jeff @ I9 before you decide...they don't care for the Stans rims. What do you weigh? If I had it to do again (which I will for my Badger in the spring :clapping: ) I would go with the wtb dual duty's.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
I'm a clyde at 205, but they will be reserved for light duty XC and race days.

Right now I'm running XT's laced to Delgado's and they are quite sluggish. It's all I've been able to try in the Mariachi and I'm anxious to see what the lighter wheelset will do for it.

Are you doing a custom Badger, or a Dorothy? I absolutely love his bikes, congrats!

I'll try to get the mtbr post up asap.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
I am 225 myself & appreciate a stiffer wheel. The delgados are rediculously hard to keep true for bigger guys...they're not for me, I feel your pain. The WTB dual duty would make for a great rim for you IMHO....it is what I will be using on my I9 SS wheels.

EDIT: Just noticed you wanted LIGHTER rims.....hmmmm, the DT rims are highly recommended by Jeff, but they are a bit narrow for my tastes. Not alot of great lightweight options for heavier riders. Personally, I think the snappier ride of the I9 wheels will compensate for the beefier rim like the WTB.

I plan to go the custom route with the Badger...Rob is a great guy to work with.

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
i use shimano 520s? its five something all i know is theyre shimano. ive found they can stand up to everything, rocks going 30mph whatever...unlike the eggbeaters, i dont know if its common or not but my friend cracked his eggbeaters going like up a hill at walnut. that ended our ride.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
i use shimano 520s? its five something all i know is theyre shimano. ive found they can stand up to everything, rocks going 30mph whatever...unlike the eggbeaters, i dont know if its common or not but my friend cracked his eggbeaters going like up a hill at walnut. that ended our ride.
Yes, they crack when pedaling uphill regularly, duh. They are for fashion, not function. That's why we all ride with matching pink ano custom TI eggbeaters together at Walnut.

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
:weee:

I do miss riding on O-Hill though, there is a farm out here that you can pay $20 a year and the guy will let you ride on it anytime. I haven't gotten around to going to the Bike Stop and buying my pass, nor have I had the money for that crap. I think I'm getting ready to buy a Specialized "Tarmac Comp Double". Or I may just fix up a used Peugeot my friend has.