I need to know for what values of X these functions have a horizontal tangent

y= square root (1+X) devided by X

and y=(2X+1)^4(5X-1)^3

please help

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
not sure where you are in calc. Did they tell you that if you set the first derivative = 0 and solve that'll tell you the points you need?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
explaining the above a bit more: first derivative will be slope. "horizontal tangent" ==> slope = 0. so take the first derivative, set it equal to zero, solve for X.

a fun resource: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
did you know that if you set marginal costs = marginal revenues that you'll maximize profit?

fvck if I'm gonna let Toshi show me up :blah:

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
i';m super lost now the teacher hasn't even explained this stuff yet and it's on an assignment due tomorrow. I;m sooo screwed lol

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
dude. i actually have two "mathematica spoken here" posters on my room's wall. you can't top that for math nerdiness (not that it takes much of a math nerd to appreciate slope = 0. pay attention in class JMAC :nope: )

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the right two ones, to be exact

:D to my credit i was given them, at least

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Toshi said:
pay attention in class JMAC :nope: )
lmao

Toshi, is there a way for that to be solved without taking a derivative? I just realized those function require some serious first derivative crunching... power and quotient rules. There's no way a teacher could get that deep without having explained local minimums and maximums and hence, JMAC not paying attention... unless there is another way to solve that with 'easier' math?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Toshi said:
dude. i actually have two "mathematica spoken here" posters on my room's wall. you can't top that for math nerdiness (not that it takes much of a math nerd to appreciate slope = 0. pay attention in class JMAC :nope: )

Dude I know how to do derivative stuff but thats the first time I have ever heard the slope =0 i looked through all my notes lol

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hmm. you're right. maybe the teacher is trying to hint at limits. that second equation makes little sense as written, maybe a missing division?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
yeah, but now I'm trying to mess with your brain and screw you up for tomorrow. Try "u" substitution or rotate it about the axis. Remember the

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
yeah U substitution would ahve made it easier actaully. Rotating it thats messing me up now

J

JRB

JMAC said:
i';m super lost now the teacher hasn't even explained this stuff yet and it's on an assignment due tomorrow. I;m sooo screwed lol

It must be that you are over emphasizing your studies towards grammar.

J

JRB

One more thing JMAC. Quit saying LOL. There is nothing funny when you are discussing an equation. :D

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Math makes my head hurt. I've been working with this one and several different sets of cost data:

y=a[∑i^b] where i=1 to x and b=ln(c)/ln(2)
y, a, and x are known, solving for c

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
BikeGeek said:
Math makes my head hurt. I've been working with this one and several different sets of cost data:

y=a[?i^b] where i=1 to x and b=ln(c)/ln(2)
y, a, and x are known, solving for c
try raising both sides to e... that might get rid of you ln and leave you with c/2

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
LordOpie said:
try raising both sides to e... that might get rid of you ln and leave you with c/2
It took me a while, but I figured it all out. In the middle of it I had to laugh because I realized that I was using the math I swore I'd never have to use.

That "?" in the formula was supposed to be that greek summation symbol, sigma, I think.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Derivatives and Integrals are nice and easy, heck even 3rd degree differential equations are easy....
stochastic differential equations though.... kalman filters..... no-no land...

btw, get maple7... it solves everything.... highly recommended.

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
wanna hijack it and start talking about dominant Vs, dimished viis, and +VIs?
Can we just talk about inner tubes or tooth brushes or something else interesting???

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the Inbred said:
wanna hijack it and start talking about dominant Vs, dimished viis, and +VIs?
i'd be down to talk theory too :D . math theory, music theory, both are fun